Sheriff's race

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31814-2002Sep17.html

My cynical side refuses to believe that this stuff just "happened" to become public during an election campaign. As I've written here before, squad politics is a dire problem in the St. Mary's sheriff's department. The deputies are apparently loyal not to the citizens of St. Mary's but to factions in the department. So the anonymous sources cited in the article are almost certainly in cahoots with the other candidate. By the way, I'm not a party voter and I don't particularly care for either candidate. I just worry that this race could get uglier. Who knows what other dirt on both candidates is being dug up at this moment.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Call me heartless, but I have no sympathy for the guy who offed himself, nor do I feal any anger towards Zylak or whoever was "on duty" when this happened. Maybe mom and dad should have dealt with his problems BEFORE he went out and committed a crime, rather than blaming the prison guards for not babysitting their son. :burning:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's something I don't understand:

Why would you try to prevent an incarcerated criminal from committing suicide? Isn't that a violation of their civil rights or something?

That said, I don't like to think Mickey Bailey planted that story in the Post. But I'll bet Dave Zylak would come on here and tell us his side of the story - unlike some other politicians *ahem*

David Zylak

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Here's something I don't understand:

Why would you try to prevent an incarcerated criminal from committing suicide? Isn't that a violation of their civil rights or something?

That said, I don't like to think Mickey Bailey planted that story in the Post. But I'll bet Dave Zylak would come on here and tell us his side of the story - unlike some other politicians *ahem*

Vrai,

I would like nothing more than to tell the world my side of the story, but the fact that it is an unsettled personnel matter (over a year later) keeps me from commenting. If you all can believe me, believe one thing. There is far more to the incident than what was leaked to the press. The leak itself is a violation of law and MY civil rights. It is very sad when anyone takes there own life (whether incarcerated or not) and it leaves many unanswered questions for family members. The suicide effected all the Correctional Officers working that night. They are a dedicated, unappreciated group of men and women. They take pride in their jobs and they do care about the humane treatment of inmates.

Political races should be about the qualifications of the candidates running. I am still very proud of my 19 year career with the Sheriff's Office and will put it up against my opponent's any day.

I wish I could say more and maybe one day I will, but not until it is settled.

David Zylak
Candidate for Sheriff
St. Mary's County

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Note to voters: Crazy people will kill themselves whether they are in jail, the hospital, or in their own home. It's unfortunate and sad for the family.

That's about as far as it should go... Bailey has support from within the Sheriff's office, so its not surprising that this surfaced between the elections. With a small sheriff's department, we don't have a big internal affairs office, so its probably pretty easy for Dave Z to figure out who his friends are...

bad1032

MR. Zylak you were done unjust by some LOW LIFE.I hope the voters see this on election day and continue to show their support for the MOST qualified person for the Sheriffs office top position.Zylak is that man.I commend you for coming on the board and making a statement and understand you are limited to what can be said.I see it as a slap in the face to YOU the Corrections Division and the Family the way the scum did what they did and placed the ad in the paper.Its B.S and nothing more.
Go Zylak for Sheriff

Also congratulations on the endorsement of the sheriffs office Deputies by getting the vote from the Fraternal Order of Police lodge 7.

G

giggles04

Originally posted by David Zylak

I wish I could say more and maybe one day I will, but not until it is settled.

David Zylak
Candidate for Sheriff
St. Mary's County

Mr. Zylak, I just had to say that I was sorry to hear about all this stuff in the news. But, you're still going to be fine, and be the new sherriff!:biggrin: I know you will!

~Friend from the South:smile: