Humming vibrating sound in house

Stew

For the past week I've been having a strange constant humming vibrating pulsing sound in my house that I can't figure out where its coming from. Sorta sounds like a generator running. The sound is not coming from outside and only noticeable inside. I've checked all my appliances, furnace, pipes, turned the electric off but the sound still persists. Any idea of what it might be? Who should I call to help find it? My first thought was an Electrician but as I said the sound remained even when I turned the power off which makes me think it's not electrical although it sounds like it may be. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out!!:banghead:

lmor

For the past week I've been having a strange constant humming vibrating pulsing sound in my house that I can't figure out where its coming from. Sorta sounds like a generator running. The sound is not coming from outside and only noticeable inside. I've checked all my appliances, furnace, pipes, turned the electric off but the sound still persists. Any idea of what it might be? Who should I call to help find it? My first thought was an Electrician but as I said the sound remained even when I turned the power off which makes me think it's not electrical although it sounds like it may be. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out!!:banghead:

I had a similar problem several months ago. I tracked it down to a handheld kitchen timer. I hope you find the source of the humming.

Stew

Neighbors running something that resonates through to your house?

I was wondering about that but when I go outside near their house I don't hear anything. I did however notice that they have a cable wire jimmied to the phone junction box outside that we share.

Hannibal

Anyone doing earthwork anywhere around you? Your hear/feel it at all times of day? Certain work may vibrate the ground and create vibrations in the house that can create a frequency/noise. This would stop whenever the peice of equipment stops as well. Drilling anywere nearby?

Stew

Anyone doing earthwork anywhere around you? Your hear/feel it at all times of day? Certain work may vibrate the ground and create vibrations in the house that can create a frequency/noise. This would stop whenever the peice of equipment stops as well. Drilling anywere nearby?

Not that I'm aware of. It occurs all times of day does sound like a frequency noise.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Okay, so you turned off all power to your home and still hear the noise. Could it be a pump on your well or septic?

Stew

I'm tired of guessing and don't know who to call to figure it out.. a home inspector?? Although they'll probably charge me an arm and a leg and won't be able to fix it only identify it.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Okay, so you turned off all power to your home and still hear the noise. Could it be a pump on your well or septic?

That was my first thought. Ours does and so does the tank (not hot water heater, but can't think of the name right now) in our basement. It's so annoying.

KDENISE977

I've had this happen, turned out it was the door bell box thingy going bad... you know the box that hangs on the wall. Ours is on the ceiling and it does it from time to time.

Stew

I've had this happen, turned out it was the door bell box thingy going bad... you know the box that hangs on the wall. Ours is on the ceiling and it does it from time to time.

Hard to believe that's the cause.. checked it out no vibration or sound coming from it

Hannibal

Telephone lines? They operate without power in the home.

You said a neighbor had a line rigged into a box. What kind? Shared?

Cable lines carry a voltage even if you cut off power to the home.

Chris0nllyn

What's that?

It's a fan that sucks air from under the floor slab.

Should look like this (if outside the home, sometimes they can be in the attic)
http://www.radata.com/images/stories/rm1.jpg

Reason I ask is because if the fan is on its way out, it will hum.

Telephone lines? They operate without power in the home.

You said a neighbor had a line rigged into a box. What kind? Shared?

Cable lines carry a voltage even if you cut off power to the home.

Phone lines carry voltage. 90V when it rings.