Borrow a mouser?

marianne

I'm going to start by saying that I am a big animal fan. I do what I can not to kill bugs or insects. I have two dogs and a parrot. But I don't have cats because I never understood cats. I've been around cats for a long time - my best friend growing up had cats and a family that lived with us for several months had cats. But I've never wanted a cat.

Just as much as I don't want cats is how much I don't want mice. While I can stop the cats from coming in my house by just saying "no", that doesn't seem to work with the mice! So now I have a mouse problem. I've tried sticky traps for the mice. They worked the first few days. But the mice have now outsmarted the traps.

Recently I found a dead mouse in the middle of my garage. I couldn't figure out what had happened to him for days. Then I realized that when if I leave the garage door open at night, a neighborhood cat comes in. The cat must have gotten one of the mice in the garage. There are a few more mice though and they're inside the house.

How possible is it to borrow or foster a cat that catches mice? I'm not looking to keep the cat permanently (sorry).

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by marianne
I'm going to start by saying that I am a big animal fan. I do what I can not to kill bugs or insects. I have two dogs and a parrot. But I don't have cats because I never understood cats. I've been around cats for a long time - my best friend growing up had cats and a family that lived with us for several months had cats. But I've never wanted a cat.

Just as much as I don't want cats is how much I don't want mice. While I can stop the cats from coming in my house by just saying "no", that doesn't seem to work with the mice! So now I have a mouse problem. I've tried sticky traps for the mice. They worked the first few days. But the mice have now outsmarted the traps.

Recently I found a dead mouse in the middle of my garage. I couldn't figure out what had happened to him for days. Then I realized that when if I leave the garage door open at night, a neighborhood cat comes in. The cat must have gotten one of the mice in the garage. There are a few more mice though and they're inside the house.

How possible is it to borrow or foster a cat that catches mice? I'm not looking to keep the cat permanently (sorry).

Maybe you and Sleuth can work a deal. :rolleyes:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by mAlice
Hire an exterminator. :rolleyes:

hi cari! :howdy:

wanna borrow my cat?
Cat.JPG

i swear that he only has a couple of fleas... :biggrin:

marianne

no exterminator

I talked to an exterminator about the mice. He said he would put poison around the house. I have two small children and don't want that around. Also, I don't want the mice getting the poison and dying in the walls or someplace I can't get to or don't know of. Then he said he's put out traps. I already did that. I think it may be cat time.

I figured it could be a win-win situation if someone were going away and wanted their cat taken care of or if a shelter were looking for temporary foster homes.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Re: no exterminator

I talked to an exterminator about the mice. He said he would put poison around the house. I have two small children and don't want that around. Also, I don't want the mice getting the poison and dying in the walls or someplace I can't get to or don't know of. Then he said he's put out traps. I already did that. I think it may be cat time.

I figured it could be a win-win situation if someone were going away and wanted their cat taken care of or if a shelter were looking for temporary foster homes.

Marianne, most people don't have outdoor cats. Even if someone does have an outdoor cat and loaned it to you, it probably wouldn't hang around unless you fed it. If you fed it, it wouldn't catch your mice.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: no exterminator

I think it may be cat time.

Most well-fed cats aren't really interested in killing mice. They will play with them and sometimes kill them.

When you explain what you want to do with cats, an animal shelter, etc. will hang up on you.

Mice generally try to get to a water source after they've been poisoned and do not often die in walls, etc. I'd talk to another exterminator. This really isn't mouse "season." They come inside more in the fall and winter.

The sticky traps are very cruel.

marianne

indoor or outdoor cat

Maybe I don't know the difference, but I'm looking for an indoor cat to get the mice in the house. I'm assuming there are such things as indoor mousers . . . no?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Re: indoor or outdoor cat

Maybe I don't know the difference, but I'm looking for an indoor cat to get the mice in the house. I'm assuming there are such things as indoor mousers . . . no?

What are you going to do? Starve somebody's cat and subject it to any disease that the mice may have?

Buy a live trap and follow the directions.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: indoor or outdoor cat

I'm assuming there are such things as indoor mousers . . . no?
Forget the cat, you need a boa constrictor or a python. :yay:

nomoney

get a reg. old mouse trap and load it down with peanut butter.........why even bother with those sticky/live trap things?? its a friggen mouse:rolleyes:

James White

Have a nuisance?Im 4 hire
There are a few ways to control mice without traps or poison.
Just have to be willing to "pay" what that will cost.......and nope I aint giving my secrets out.lol

Here's what you do...

Set a bag of dog food in the middle of your garage, put a light over the bag, put a nice comfy couch in the corner, turn off all the other lights in the garage, lay on the couch and watch for mice, when one comes out, shoot it with a pellet gun. That's what my buddy's dad did in his house (only he did it in the basement) and he bagged 10 mice over 3 nights back in the early 80's.

marianne

good ideas!

Those are some good ideas! OK, you've convinced me I don't need to borrow a mouser. I really don't know much about indoor/outdoor cats anyway.

I'm going to first clean all the junk out of the garage. The pellet gun method does sound like fun but I don't think I can stay up all night! I'll probably get the tamperproof bait product on http://www.animalcontrolsolutions.com/products.html. And if I still have mice, I'll be calling James.

The worst part is, as someone else said, it's not mouse season and yet we have them. I'd like to get them out soon so that when mouse season begins, we can better control them. We've had them on & off since the winter. It took my husband months to believe me when I told him I was seeing mice. I'm actually starting to learn to co-exhist with the rodents but the hubby isn't too happy.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by vraiblonde

Hey Vria - maybe you should swich the Cat forum language in this category from "discuss your furry feline" to "discuss someone elses politically motivated kidnapped fence sitting cats feline" :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
Hey Vria -

V R A I

Really Dems, if you're going to rescue a cat you don't just look for any home to dump it on. Marianne specifically stated she didn't really want a cat except to take care of her mouse problem. There are any number of rescue organizations around the area. Stop posting and start searching for them. :rolleyes: It's a good thing you "saved" this cat but you should have been prepared to continue to care for it.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cattitude
V R A I

Really Dems, if you're going to rescue a cat you don't just look for any home to dump it on. Marianne specifically stated she didn't really want a cat except to take care of her mouse problem. There are any number of rescue organizations around the area. Stop posting and start searching for them. :rolleyes: It's a good thing you "saved" this cat but you should have been prepared to continue to care for it.

cattit --

I am prepared to care for it but only in a worse case scenario, and any home where it would be not used for target practice and living in the woods is better. At least with this environment she wouldn't have been getting shot at daily. :shrug: She would be the hunter... I care for this cat dearly as any stray, I was just continuing my hope for a better life for this cat :shrug:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
cattit --

and any home where it would be not used for target practice and living in the woods is better.

Not really. Marianne only wanted a cat temporarily. What happens when all the mice are gone? No need to respond. I don't have the energy to continue. You never get it.