Russian rescue helicopter 'shot down'

H

Hodr

Well, we sold a crap ton of them to the Saudis in the early 2000s. That's a long enough time for them to proliferate throughout the region.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... they've got some folks that are really good with them too.

its not that difficult to shot a stationary helicopter :eyebrow:

I was a TOW Gunner 84-88 ...
... during training they told us how the Israelis figured out how to kill Egyptian tanks hiding behind berms
... they would aim the missile over the top edge, and just as they missile passed over berm, they would command it down ...
... the cadre claimed the Israeli's had an 80 % success rate ....

missile covers 4 km in about 20 sec

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

I was a TOW Gunner 84-88 ...
... during training they told us how the Israelis figured out how to kill Egyptian tanks hiding behind berms
... they would aim the missile over the top edge, and just as they missile passed over berm, they would command it down ...
... the cadre claimed the Israeli's had an 80 % success rate ....

missile covers 4 km in about 20 sec

That was my thought. Use downed pilots emergency survival radio to draw them in, basically a straight line shot.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That was my thought. Use downed pilots emergency survival radio to draw them in, basically a straight line shot.

I was reviewing videos on youtube
.... TOWS are not the only ATGM in theater

sumbitch is heavy
... but you can setup almost anywhere
... great for ambushes - as long as the opposition doesn't have arty or attack helicopters on stand by

my squad got stuck on the side of a large hill during an exercise @ NTC.
we got off 2 or 3 nice flanking shots before the observers took us out with arty

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I was actually not referring to that incident specifically..it was meant to be a general comment; some of the video I've seen of "over the wall, round the corner, peek a boo, moving target" kill shots against Syrian government vehicles have shown there are some seriously skilled TOW drivers out there in in the sand box.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I call BS on the video.. who lands, shuts off the engines and "parks" the helicopter during a pilot rescue in a war zone?

They may have shot a helicopter during the rescue, but this one is BS.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
indeed, I thought it was reported the Helicopter had taken ground fire and had made and emergency landing

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
from GLHS Article:

Turkey has repeatedly complained of Russian Air Force incursion into its territory, and just yesterday it called for a United Nations Security Council meeting and summoned the Russian ambassador over Russian bombing of ethnic Turkmen villages just across the Syrian border.

I think this is why the Truks were pissed about the Syrians of Turkish decent being bombed