Tmjd

robbie

Would love to hear from anyone in the tri county area that suffers from this. Really would love to talk to others and maybe help support each other.
Thanks.

robbie

Yeah, I know. No one answered before. Really havin a tough time with this and it helps to compare with others. Just thought I'd try.

robbie

Its a dysfunction with the temporal? joints in your jaw. I have it on the right side and it causes morning headaches, neckaches, cheek pain, ear pain, tinnitus (mine is loud), and many other problems. I had mine under control after a bout in 2000 but didnt know it would come back like this. You usually are tied to a dentist etc. Thanks for asking

robbie

you get clicking and in some cases a lot of pain. I wore a mouthpiece at night for 4 yrs. and it still came back. Whats awful is it can effect other parts of the body. Insurance company's and Dr.s do not fully understand it yet. I am getting a new mouthpiece in hopes that will help a bit. The mouthpieces cost avg. 1K that ins. doesnt like to cover. They consider it "cosmetic" sometimes. Braces are helpful sometimes but if its for TMJ the ins. problem pops up too.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
When I was younger I had the clicking, but braces took care of that. Right now I'm under a lot of stress and I've been noticing that I'm grinding my teeth. I think I'm doing it at night too, because I have constant headaches and my jaw hurts and the tinnitus.

robbie

yeah, I hear that stress makes it worse but my new dentist says that some people have clenched or grinded all their life (you even see youngsters do it) and it becomes a habit that you can't loose.
A lot of Dr.'s think if you decrease stress that it will go away. After years of grinding you do damage to the joint. I have been putting a hot pad on that side of the face everynight for an hour before bed and the tinnitus has eased and so has the pain. Mine was so bad in the morning that I had dizzy spells which made me a bit anxious since I do work.
There is a few sites for TMJ that have message boards and an association I can give you if you want.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Well, my mom is my dental hygenist, so I need to just get her to squeeze me into her schedule or book me on her day off so that the dentist can take a look and see if I need a mouth guard or whatever.

dyanmatteson

hey

Im not in the area you want but i have an extremly sever case of Tmd or tmj whatever. Im headed over for surgery soon. If you want a ton of people that know what you are going through and have a ton of advice I would head over to www.tmjfriends.com. they are a tone of lovely people and have helped imensly. I hope this helps. If you want to talk let me know.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I've had tmj all my life (grinding, teeth removal due to not enough room, etc) - but I ain't complaining - I can pop my jaw out of socket - which is tres cool. :biggrin:

Pete

Repete
migtig said:
I've had tmj all my life (grinding, teeth removal due to not enough room, etc) - but I ain't complaining - I can pop my jaw out of socket - which is tres cool. :biggrin:
I guess so. :yikes:

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I have tmj. I was wearing a mouth guard but it was a hard plastic type and I would end up spitting it out during the night. It helped some but not totally.It did stop the headaches and some of the sore jaw. My dentist told me that I'm just tearing up my mouth with the grinding and clenching i do in my sleep. He suggested that I try and sleep with my mouth relaxed and open. But that doesn't work either. I guess that I have done it for so long that it is a habit. It's deffinetly not a fun thing to have. I have noticed that if I take tylenol pm I rest better and my jaws aren't sore in the morning. I do believe stress makes it worst.