Greetings from Des Moines, IA

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're actually staying in West Des Moines and it's pretty nice here. ItsBob steered me toward the Homewood Suites and so far this is the one to beat (and roughly the same price as the lesser quality Extended Stay or *gasp* my beloved LaQuinta). It was nice to come in after...okay, it wasn't a long day of driving, it was only 3 hours, but still...it was nice to come in, get settled, get some work done, then not have to figure out what we were going to do for dinner. Our suite not only has a decent kitchen, but they feed us breakfast AND have what they call a social hour in the evening. The desk gal said, "Light beer, light wine, light appetizers." That wasn't entirely true. What they really had was several kinds of bottled wine, two beers on tap (Bud Light and a local brew), and a pretty nice buffet with soup, salad, raw veggies, snack things, fondue and French bread, and a few other things.

The hotel has a pool and hot tub, plus a nice fitness room. Our room is a 1BR suite with a real refrigerator (as opposed to a mini fridge), a hot plate, a sink, and pretty much all the kitchen things we need to be happy. I usually usurp the desk in our room for my "office" and Monello has to make do for his laptop, but this time he has his own little desk set up. Down in the lobby there's a very nice sitting area with a fireplace, the breakfast/social area is large and well appointed, and there are a number of small patio areas PLUS a large patio with great furniture, a gas firepit, and TWO! large gas grills for guest use.

It is our intention to hit up Amana Colonies for some local beef and pork, then get some local corn and other veggies, and have ourselves a cookout. Because...Iowa.

We spent this evening having social hour dinner, then we walked around the nearby shopping areas, then came back and had beers and wine on the super cool patio. There are sidewalks up and down the blvd so I can take Apollo for nice walks and not just parking lot walks. So far it's perfect and I want to live here forever. After, you know, we've seen everywhere else in the US.

On tap for our Des Moines exploration:
  • The Iowa State Fair will be going on, so we'll go to that, plus the whole reason we're even here is to see Heart, Cheap Trick, and Joan Jett in concert at the fair.
  • Amana Colonies
  • Living History Museum (we love these things)
  • They have a gorgeous state capitol
  • And their walking/eating/drinking/shopping area is East Village

Monello needs to have a Maid Rite and a pork tenderloin, and there's a German place called Hessen Haus that we intend to hit up.

:yahoo:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:yay: :yay: And only a little over a month until Yellowstone and Cody! :yahoo:

But, first, I can't wait to see all about Des Moines - and also to see what your buddy :gossip: has to say about it on FB. :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So far Des Moines is looking pretty good. The downtown area is along the river. It's open and pedestrian friendly. The riverwalk area is a destination for bicyclers and joggers. Several people were fishing in the Des Moines river. Parking isn't that big of a hassle. They put a lot of the city, county & state government buildings in that area. Stately buildings with well groomed lawns. The state capitol is a few blocks north of the river. In the opposite direction is the county court house. Those 2 structures are like the book ends of the down town area, each impressive in it's size and architecture.

The put an arena, convention center and minor league baseball stadium in the down town part. Plenty of new apartment for those wanting to live down town. It's a short drive to the bedroom communities. Along Court Ave. there are lots of places to grab something to eat &/or drink. Des Moines has a big city feel without the congestion found in east coast cities. So far the people have been pleasant to talk to. Lots of locally brewed beers to sample.

I'm looking forward to touring the city in detail. Gonna get a bunch of fit bit steps in here.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Downtown

cap.jpg

ct.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Their capitol is super gorgeous and the city is really neat. Today we're going to resume our downtown tour and check out their walking area.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My grandfather was from Iowa....the pork tenderloin sammies & made rites are TO DIE FOR :yum:

Monello and I will definitely have a Maid Rite while we're here. Back home they call them Tastees and I love them with all my heart.

Today our food find was Tacopocalypse. It's Asian fusion, which normally I'd make fun of BUT! I had what they call a "meat bowl" - it was a bed of salad greens, topped with wasabi brisket, then covered with tart Asian slaw. It was the best thing I've eaten since we've been on the road. Monello had a funky burrito as big as his head, with brisket, potatoes, and other stuff, garnished with queso, oyster sauce, and some other creamy sauce. His was good but mine was amazing. (And about the same number of calories as a Boost drink)

Then we had a drink at The Rooftop - I had a Mexican Mule: tequila, lime, ginger beer.

terbear1225

The german restaurant is awesome! Make sure to get some wine while you are in the Amana's. They have a rhubarb wine thats pretty killer. While youre in the area, consider a visit to Orange City Iowa.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Des Moines has THE BEST downtown farmers market I have ever seen. I told Monello that we'd come back to DM just to revisit this market.

The shut down blocks and blocks to traffic, and 100s of vendors set up shop every Saturday. This is a true farmers market, with tons of produce; craft cheese; eggs; local organic beef, chicken and pork; flowers; wine; and baked goods. There are also locally made soaps and handcrafted items, but not a bunch of potholders and tacky jewelry that make up so many "craft" shows. There are food stands representing any number of cuisines, from BBQ to Bosnian.

It's simply amazing and absolutely a destination.

I tried wheatgrass juice for the first time and it wasn't unpleasant. You wouldn't want to drink a whole glass of it because it tastes like, you know, grass, but the fresh strawberry peach smoothie I had for breakfast had a shot of wheatgrass in it and it was delicious. AND I got all my steps in (10,000) before noon. WOOT!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Des Moines has THE BEST downtown farmers market I have ever seen. I told Monello that we'd come back to DM just to revisit this market.

The shut down blocks and blocks to traffic, and 100s of vendors set up shop every Saturday. This is a true farmers market, with tons of produce; craft cheese; eggs; local organic beef, chicken and pork; flowers; wine; and baked goods. There are also locally made soaps and handcrafted items, but not a bunch of potholders and tacky jewelry that make up so many "craft" shows. There are food stands representing any number of cuisines, from BBQ to Bosnian.

It's simply amazing and absolutely a destination.

I tried wheatgrass juice for the first time and it wasn't unpleasant. You wouldn't want to drink a whole glass of it because it tastes like, you know, grass, but the fresh strawberry peach smoothie I had for breakfast had a shot of wheatgrass in it and it was delicious. AND I got all my steps in (10,000) before noon. WOOT!

:yay:

Homer J

Power Chord
I grew up just outside of Cedar Rapids. We would occasionally go to the Amanas for lunch after church on Sunday. Great, now I'm homesick for somewhere I haven't lived since 1978.