Iowa State Fair

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just wow. No wonder people come from all over the world to attend. The crazy food is a sideshow; there are exhibits of everything ag related that you can think of, shows and entertainment, exhibitions, vendors of every type, and just everything.

I am a Fair Fail, though, because all I had out of that mess of indulgence was a pork tenderloin sandwich, a giant dill pickle, and a hardboiled egg on a stick. No deep fried candy bars, no bacon wrapped corn dogs, no mountain of dessert nachos. <-- The dessert nachos were the New Food winner, btw; each year they have the food people come up with something crazy and a panel of judges votes on it.

The bad news is that the fair encompasses everything I hate about leaving my home: it's crowded, it's a hassle to find parking, and it's more expensive than what you originally thought it would be because of parking, entry fees, etc. Tomorrow night we have tickets to Heart/Cheap Trick/Joan Jett and we're considering bagging it. In addition to the cost of our tickets, which I got months ago, there will be at least $15 for parking and $8/ea fair entrance fee. Which isn't a fortune, but still...

They have parking lots that are $10 per car, but they fill up FAST. The enterprising residents of the neighborhood around the fairgrounds turn their yards into parking lots and charge $15-20 to park.

But it's definitely cool and worth going to at least once in your life.

acrobats.jpg
Street acrobats

fair.jpg
People

starship.jpg
Starship Enterprise, made out of butter

urk.jpg
One of their many crazy food stands

You need to do a comparison for us. WalMart is now selling frozen deep fried Twinkies. You need to buy a package, and get one made fresh at the fair, and let us know how different they are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You need to do a comparison for us. WalMart is now selling frozen deep fried Twinkies. You need to buy a package, and get one made fresh at the fair, and let us know how different they are.

That's a riot!!!