Greetings from Idaho Falls!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
First of all, the Grand Tetons are so glorious they look like they were Photoshopped. I wish I'd have stopped to take a pic of Jenny Lake, with the trees behind it, and the mountain behind that. It looked fake, it was so beautiful.

Tonight we sat outside our crappy motel's pub/restaurant - that the desk lady says is the best in town - and chatted up a man from New Zealand and another man from Bozeman over lots of beers. We stopped in Jackson, WY for lunch, which is wonderful but too rich for our blood.

I say "crappy motel" but just because it's a crappy motel and I thought it would be something different. Actually it's okay. Sweetie pies at the desk, clean, deluxe breakfast, some amenities, etc. Just not the schmincy we're use to. Unless something dramatic happens, I'll give them a good TripAdvisor review. The Bozeman guy had dinner and said it was really good. They had some surprisingly sophisticated beers on tap, and my new favorite bartender knew his stuff and steered us in the right direction.

I have a good first impression of Idaho Falls. Lots of granaries and industry, not fancy in any meaningful way. That impression may change when we actually, you know, see it.

More later. Bono is on TV stuttering about how Donald Trump might be the worst thing that's ever happened to America. Really, Bono? Worst than slavery? Worse than Japanese internment??

He needs to stick his head in an oven and die. Die, Bono, die! What a tard.

Anyway, Idaho Falls makes a good first impression.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's a pic of Jenny Lake that I cobbed off the internet. This is exactly what I saw:

jenny.jpg

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Wow! It's just so awesome.

(stick his head in an oven and die! :killingme)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Oh yeah - I don't drink beer often, but that is one thing I noticed. They have a lot of pretty good beer out west. Not the same old, same old. :yay:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
For all I know, he did. :lol: But that is exactly what I saw yesterday while driving through the Grand Tetons.

Idaho Falls, or just west, is the home to the Navy nuclear power schools, and the site of the first working reactor that can be toured. Quite interesting.

Sounds like you may be heading toward Salt Lake City. Been there many times - very much to see, and quite beautiful. One short hike is to Monument Peak. the vista from there of the city, and as far w, s, and n as you can see is phenomenal.

Grand Teton cannot be photographed to captured the insane view of the Tetons. Your mind's eye will forever retain it.

I am jealous, but we will be back there next summer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like you may be heading toward Salt Lake City. Been there many times - very much to see, and quite beautiful. One short hike is to Monument Peak. the vista from there of the city, and as far w, s, and n as you can see is phenomenal.

Note to self...

Thanks!

luvmygdaughters

Beautiful picture!!!! Cant wait till I retire and can do some serious traveling. Sounds like you two are having a great time!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, forget Idaho Falls. It's a perfectly nice city but there is no real reason why anyone would come here on vacation or just for pleasure. It's a live there city, not a tourist destination. The falls are pretty and that's about all they've got. Across the street from our hotel was Jakers, which is a steak house with the most amazing soup and salad bar (which is what I had for dinner). Pretty sure this is the best restaurant in town, not the one attached to our hotel.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
do you know the History of SL-1

What I've read about it, it appears that experimental reactor blew when operator error led to the fuel rods being raised too soon or something like that, killing several people. We have had two visits to the museum and reactor facility, including the far fetched, and never to fly nuclear powered "airplanes". Quite fascinating.

That area is known as INEL, I do believe. It also borders Craters of the Moon historic lava flows site, another cool thing to see out there.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What I've read about it, it appears that experimental reactor blew when operator error led to the fuel rods being raised too soon or something like that, killing several people.

Indeed ...... during a maintenance procedure, the central control rod was pulled up to far manually - causing a sudden burst of steam, which caused the control rod to blow out the top, pinning the poor fellow to the ceiling and spraying radioactive water everywhere. The Amazing thing even with an estimated 10,000 PSI and a water hammer that cause it to jump 9 feet the reactor vessel maintained integrity - rather than blowing the building apart

We have had two visits to the museum and reactor facility, including the far fetched, and never to fly nuclear powered "airplanes". Quite fascinating.

Interesting ..... yes, Nuclear Jet Planes and Space Craft