Germany votes to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2030

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Germany votes to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2030

Cars and trucks represent low-hanging fruit for those who want to roll back internal combustion engine pollution. Trains, planes, and ships aren’t going to run on batteries anytime soon. Germany wants to reduce CO2 emissions by as much as 95% by 2050, according to Der Spiegel, which first reported the story. This in a country that reveres the automobile and develops many of the world’s highest-technology cars, from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. It may be that electrification may get more engineering resources than even autonomous driving.

Europe in general sees global warming as a more immediate concern than the US, and it sees transportation activities as a major contributor. Transportation (cars, trucks, motorcycles, trains, planes, boats) represented 26% of US greenhouse gas emissions, according to the EPA. The the increase outstripped the other sectors: electricity generation, industry, agriculture, residential, and commercial. Globally, transportation represents 14% of greenhouse gas emissions. That, too, grows out of proportion to other sectors, especially with the emerging middle classes in China and India.

well where is Germany going to get electricity for all those plug in cars :shrug:

Tesla’s Electric Cars Aren’t as Green as You Might Think

Why “Green” Cars Are Still Destroying the Earth

Clem72

well where is Germany going to get electricity for all those plug in cars :shrug:

They get roughly 30% of their total energy (inclusive of transportation) from renewables at this point, and 40% from Nuclear. Their 2030 target is 50% renewable, so if they actually hit that target and don't reduce their percentage of Nuclear, then they will basically have phased out coal/gas which is their intent.

Regardless, I don't think they will stick to any real ban on gas/diesel powered vehicles (probably just tax the crap out of them) and I heard that if you read the details of this "ban" (which I have not) it really isn't much of a ban to begin with.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
They get roughly 30% of their total energy (inclusive of transportation) from renewables at this point, and 40% from Nuclear. Their 2030 target is 50% renewable, so if they actually hit that target and don't reduce their percentage of Nuclear, then they will basically have phased out coal/gas which is their intent.

Regardless, I don't think they will stick to any real ban on gas/diesel powered vehicles (probably just tax the crap out of them) and I heard that if you read the details of this "ban" (which I have not) it really isn't much of a ban to begin with.

Germany shut down all of their Nuclear Plants several years ago.. They CLAIM they are 100% renewable energy now (proven time and again to be false). This is a huge set back for their country and their economy.. no way will this stand until 2030. It's a great show for the rest of the world, but no way we they be ready to ban internal combustion engines by 2030.. How will planes fly??

OOPS.. I thought they had already shut them down, they are currently in the process with a deadline of shutting all of the Nuke Plants by 2020

Last edited:

Clem72

itsbob said:
Germany shut down all of their Nuclear Plants several years ago..

Voted to shut down all of their plants (by 2021) several years ago. They still get 40% of their power from Nuclear, domestic and purchased from France.

From the wiki:

"Germany is the fourth-largest producer of nuclear power in the world, but in 2000, the government and the German nuclear power industry agreed to phase out all nuclear power plants by 2021,[37] as a result of an initiative with a vote result of 513 Yes, 79 No and 8 Empty. The seven oldest reactors were permanently closed after the Fukushima accident.[38] However, being an integral part of the EU's internal electricity market, Germany will continue to consume foreign nuclear electricity even after 2022.[39]"

Last edited: