Energizer 9V Rechargeable Batteries

Bogart

Rechargeable Batteries

I have a Rayovac recharger. I know the recharger works because I use it to charge Rayovac batteries for my digital camera.

I bought the Energizer batteries for my alarm clock. Charged them up and put it in, the low battery light came on immediately. I waited until the device in indictated that the battery was totally drained, charged it again, reinstalled it, same results.

Bought another one to see if the first one was defective. Charged and installed it, no low battery indication in initially, but it drained overnight.

So I bought a normal 9V battery to test if something was wrong with the clock itself. Normal battery works like a champ.

Last edited:
While rechargeables are rated the same as regular batteries (9V, AA, AAA) they do not have the same output as regular batteries. There are also differences between different rechargeable batteries. Some electrical devices don't work right with rechargeables. Example: Garmin Extrex Legend GPS has a setting for regular batteries, Ni-Cad, and NiMh rechargeable batteries.

So the batteries you bought may not be defective, your clock's battery tester is just calibrated for regular batteries.

Bogart

huntr1 said:
While rechargeables are rated the same as regular batteries (9V, AA, AAA) they do not have the same output as regular batteries. There are also differences between different rechargeable batteries. Some electrical devices don't work right with rechargeables. Example: Garmin Extrex Legend GPS has a setting for regular batteries, Ni-Cad, and NiMh rechargeable batteries.

So the batteries you bought may not be defective, your clock's battery tester is just calibrated for regular batteries.
I have much to learn. I have had this clock since about 1980 or so, it could very well be the clocks sensor. I guess I should get that meter and see what kind of reading I get while the clock indicates a dead battery. Basically it sounds like I cannot use a rechargeable in this clock because I would never know when the battery is dead.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
We have a couple rechargers that do multiple size batteries at the same time. The one that's pretty old has one spot that when you put a battery in, the light comes on briefly and then goes off. Nothing will charge there. Like I said, it's old and well used by 3 kids over the years. I don't remember the brand.

I like the rechargeables. Of course you can only recharge so many times before you have to toss the battery anyway. Still it saves money.

Bogart

I've changed the title to reflect this new information. Thanks for your feedback!

Well, I tried to change the title. Must have waited too long.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

No, actually the voltage isnt the same. If you look closely enough you will see that rechargable 9v batteries are really nominally rated at 7.2 volts. In most instances its ok but in yours it probably isnt.

A 9V battery is comprised of 6 "cells" each dry cell is rated at 1.5V, now rechargable "cells" are rated at 1.2V.......