DirecTV

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Love it, love it, LOVE IT! The only downfall is an occasional loss of signal in VERY heavy rain, but it usually doesn't last more than 5 minutes or so.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
jazz lady said:
Love it, love it, LOVE IT! The only downfall is an occasional loss of signal in VERY heavy rain, but it usually doesn't last more than 5 minutes or so.

Good thing we don't have it at the moment, it's pouring here. Flash flood warnings, tornado warnings, etc. I guess I can thank my lucky stars and look on the bright side since I'm not in FL.

alex

We love it!!! Ditched cable almost 2 years ago. During Isabelle we lost service about 3 AM and only because that was when we lost power. My MIL called at 8 pm to say she lost her cable and I told her to come on over we still had TV!

Also, it is waaaayyy cheaper than the local cable service. For 2 tvs with their own boxes and local service I pay about $50 vs cable $75 both are w/o premium channels. Of course, if you have a lot of tvs in your home than cable may be more cost efficient since I think you can hook up as many tvs as you want without additional costs.

Their customer service is really good too! They help you over the telephone to resolve problems. I love that you can select pay per view movies online and that some of them are an All Day Ticket. This means you can select it any watch is whenever you want or over and over all day w/o paying more.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Well, I'll rain on this parade:lol: I had it and hated it:ohwell: It went out constantly wasn't worth my time:shrug: Then again we aren't big TV watcher's either:shrug: So having 500 channel's and all that other stuff dosen't mean squat to me, but that's just me:ohwell: Obviously:lmao:

Danzig

David said:
DirecTV with a TIVO is TV at its best! My only real complaint is the lack of any HD signal. I hear COMCAST is good with it's digital service and video on demand. I hear they also have a TIVO-like service. Of course, if you can't get COMCAST...

There are some downfalls to satellite:

- Lose the signal during heavy storms
- Need to have one of their receivers in each room
- Need to have RG-6 in the house to each TV location. You need 2 cables if you have TIVO and want to record one and watch another. Most older houses only have one RG-59 cable to each location if they have that.
- You have to pay extra for each additional receiver ($5/mo) and another $5/mo for each TIVO.

The PROS are:

- Crystal clear video/sound on EVERY channel
- Awesome selection of channels for a decent price
- TIVO availability. Record 2 channels at the same time. Instant rewind/freeze/FF of live tv. Interactive TV Guide. Select channel to record at touch of a button.
- You can change your programming packages on the Internet and the changes take place almost instantly.
- Pay-per-view movies (on a pre-determined schedule, not on-demand)
- Built-in TV Guide

You can usually get a 4-room setup with free install for DirecTV. Just check out this page:

http://www.somd.com/mp/tv/
It is $5/mo for TIVO service. I have 3 Tivos and ONLY pay the $5.

You still pay $5 for the additional receivers like you would any other.

The standalone Tivo boxes that you use with cable make you pay per Tivo, but with Direct Tivo it is ONE PRICE.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I've had DirecTV since 1995. Never had the problems reported above but that sounds like an installation problem to me. DirecTV with TiVo is an awesome combination! Tivo service is a must-have!

Spend the extra for 1 TiVo unit - you'll love it! The other night I was watching FoxNews on cable while the TiVo was recording both Dale JR on 60 minutes, and the Corvette documentary on Discovery channel. And, during a commercial, I could switch to any of the 3 to watch.

PS. If you have the big DirecTV programming package, it includes TiVo service at no additional charge. And, a TiVo is 1 receiver even though it has 2 tuners inside. So the $5 is for each additional receiver "box."

Last edited:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Oz said:
I've had DirecTV since 1995. Never had the problems reported above but that sounds like an installation problem to me. DirecTV with TiVo is an awesome combination! Tivo service is a must-have!

Spend the extra for 1 TiVo unit - you'll love it! The other night I was watching FoxNews on cable while the TiVo was recording both Dale JR on 60 minutes, and the Corvette documentary on Discovery channel. And, during a commercial, I could switch to any of the 3 to watch.

:yeahthat: x10. We don't know how we lived w/out TiVo.