Canon Digital Rebel

MikeyBash

Ok, I finally too the plunge. I own a digital SLR. YESSSSS.

I've been in to photography since i was a kid. I had a Canon AT-1 and my own darkroom. When digital came along, I got to borrow one of the first digital cameras, the Apple QuickTake 100. I wrote a review complaining that for $700, you should get a better lens than an Instimatic.

For the most part, digital cameras have followed the trend of improving the electronics while neglecting the optics. Even my Nikon Coolpics 950, which was state of the art a few years ago, had a pretty crapply lens and the telephoto adapter was a joke.

Of course, professionals could buy real digital SLRs, but they were in the $15,000 range. What I wanted was a digital version of my Canon EOS Elan, which is pretty much what I finally got a few weeks ago.

First, and probably most importantly, the Canon Digial Rebel is a true SLR with interchangeable lenses that fit lenses from 35mm Canon EOS models like my elan. In fact, I skipped the bundle and bought just the Digital Rebel Body, and I use the lenses I had for my Canon 35mm.

Instead of buying film, I bought a 512MB card, which stores about 150 pictures at high resolution before I have to dump them onto my PC. Having virtually unlimited film makes a big difference--on a recent trip to ocean city i took over 500 pictures.

I'm still learning, but I love this camera so far. If anyone wants to check out some pictures I took with this camera at the beach, go to this url:

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANHDRy4at2ziY

I'd be happy to answer questions for anyone thinking about buying one.

Mike

S

Shutterbug

Do you know if the lenses from other Canon's will work with it...not just the Elan? I've been thinking about the Digital Rebel, but I want to know if my Rebel G lenses will work with it. TIA. :smile:

ylexot

Super Genius
It can use any lens with an EF mount. I assume that the Rebel G uses EF mount lenses. The DRebel can also use the new EF-S mount lenses. There is only one...and it comes with the DRebel kit. There are two more on the way though.

The difference between EF and EF-S is that since the digital cameras use a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film, the projected image can be smaller. So, they can make lenses that are smaller specifically for digital cameras. However, they just started doing this and the DRebel is the only one that can use EF-S lenses until the new D20 comes out (soon).

ylexot

Super Genius
I looked at the D70, but the slight difference in performance wasn't worth the extra cost to me. Of course, I have since spent ~$1000 in lenses. Now I have:
Canon EF 28-135mm IS
Canon EF 70-300mm
Sigma 12-24mm

Does Nikon make image stabilized lenses? I know Sigma makes one for Nikon.

MikeyBash

Thanks for the links. I use my old 28-80 lens from my Elan. I also had a Canon 75-300 lens with the Elan, but it got wet and the autofocus doesn't work anymore and neither does the apature. I can still take some decent pictures with it, if I use apature priority and bump the iso to 1600. The problem is focusing...it's hard to do it fast enough by hand.

My old Canon AT-1 was totally manual, and I got good at focusing by lining up the little ground-glass split screen in the middle, and setting the exposure by keeping the needle inside the circle. I still have lots of lenses for the old AT-1 and AE-1, and I've heard there are adapters that let you use them with EOS cameras. Has anyone tried it?

lucaswebco

Congrats! Great buy!! I'm currently looking at either the Canon D100 or the D200 for a replacement for my Elan. I test drove the D100 and it is sweet. Shoots faster than the D Rebel.

triathlete

baaa baaa baaa

to read some of the reviews out there on this rig you'd think all the buyers were poor mindless sheep. or lemmings (what noise do they make? :confused: ).

so call me a sheep. a very happy sheep. got mine with the stylish black body, kit lens, 75-300 non-IS USM, and a 1GB 80x CF drive. woohoo! :getdown:

getting near 1000 shots in the first 1.5wks now and already ready to go work the rebate game on some more glass. looking for input from the been-there done-that crowd on that.

high on my want/"need" list are the 28-135 IS USM for a more versatile-yet-unbulky walkabout lens (faboo reviews and recommendations...thx for the links to dpreview!), and then a tossup on a 1.4 or 1.8 prime or a macro.

which way would ya'll go?

happy day-after-turkeyday!

Aimhigh2000

I just got a Cannon Proshot-1......I thought I was good at figuring things out, guess this one will take a bit longer :lol:

C

cyphertext69

I just bought a Digital Rebel too. I think it's awesome! I am still learning the functions but it takes really good shots. I have never owned a SLR camera but I love them. I am very interested in photography but I definitly need some lessons.

I joined:

www.thephotoforum.com

to learn more about photography and things. When I get back from Iraq, I plan to take a class or too.

ylexot

Super Genius
cyphertext69 said:
I just bought a Digital Rebel too. I think it's awesome! I am still learning the functions but it takes really good shots. I have never owned a SLR camera but I love them. I am very interested in photography but I definitly need some lessons.

I joined:

www.thephotoforum.com

to learn more about photography and things. When I get back from Iraq, I plan to take a class or too.
:yay: Enjoy the camera and stay safe in Iraq. When you get back, you might want to look into the St. Mary's County Camera Club. I just joined a few months ago, and they have workshops and lectures at the meetings. Last night they had workshops on posing/modeling and photographing people.

ylexot

Super Genius
willie said:
Will lens's from an AE-1 work?
AE-1 uses the FD mount, right? If so, then no, the lenses won't work. You can get an adapter, but from what I understand, you don't get very good results using the adapter. The DRebel has en EF-S mount that can use EF anf EF-S lenses.

RickFortune

I have had the Digital rebel now for close to a year and have shot close to 5,000 photos, I love it. I am giving my 35mm Rebel to my daughter so she can get a handle on film shooting. What I would like to know is how do I post my pictures on here and how many can I put up?

Thanks