Does anyone grow Lavender

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
I'm looking to grow lavender, I've done a little research but not sure how the plants will do in this area. My soil seems to fit the requirements. I've picked a site for them. direct sunlight, welldrained sandy soil. so anyone have any tips, or know where I can seek knowledge before spring(gives me plenty of time) :dance:

Maybe appyday does... she grows her own barn animal snacks... but then again, mares eat oats and so do goats and little lambs eat ivy... not sure if she grows lavendar...:confused:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Lavender is very easy to grow in this area and overwinters just fine. I have a few plants in my herb garden.

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Great, any tips on how to get started, or should I just let the plants be plants and do there won thing.

Wife grows it. I/we just dug all of it up and moved it to a hillside in the backyard along with all the other herbs since they were all growing like crazy. Replanted some stuff, don't know if any of it will live. Plant it and forget it and it will do just fine. don't plant mint unless it is in a pot, or you want it to grow like crazy and take over your entire yard in about 2 weeks.

Elle

Happy Camper!
huntr1 said:
don't plant mint unless it is in a pot, or you want it to grow like crazy and take over your entire yard in about 2 weeks.
Personal experience:lol:

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
huntr1 said:
don't plant mint unless it is in a pot, or you want it to grow like crazy and take over your entire yard in about 2 weeks.

May be what I need to get rid of the doggy breath in my two mongerals(sp?) Let the whole yard get taken over by mint..........may be something to think about!

tys_mommy said:
Personal experience:lol:
yup. It took over the entire herb garden. My mom planted a SMALL patch of it at her house and it has spread throughout her entire flowerbed. She can't get rid of it, and doesn't want to dig up the entire bed to get rid of it.

iceeyes9 said:
May be what I need to get rid of the doggy breath in my two mongerals(sp?) Let the whole yard get taken over by mint..........may be something to think about!
I am tempted to plant some in the open area behind my barn in the HOA common area, to try to draw the deer in.

Nanny Pam

iceeyes9 said:
I'm looking to grow lavender, I've done a little research but not sure how the plants will do in this area. My soil seems to fit the requirements. I've picked a site for them. direct sunlight, welldrained sandy soil. so anyone have any tips, or know where I can seek knowledge before spring(gives me plenty of time) :dance:

I don't actually grow any, but the people on both side of me & the people behind me have it. It grows great, & comes back every year. It smells so pretty out back!!

CMC122

Go Braves!
If anybody wishes to get rid of any minty, lavendar or cockscomb let me know! I'd love some!

TIA!

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Lavender is actually edible. People put it into soups and cakes. You can garnish a cake beautifully and not have to pluck the flowers off to eat the cake. I saw an entire food channel show about it and thats what peaked my interest. NOT SURE if you can smoke it.......I'm sure you can, Let the police try to figure that one out.

CMC122 said:
If anybody wishes to get rid of any minty, lavendar or cockscomb let me know! I'd love some!

TIA!
Well shiznet! Wish I had known this 2 weeks ago. I will check and see if any of it lived thru the transplant (didn't water any of it). If it did, you are welcome to it.

CMC122

Go Braves!
huntr1 said:
Well shiznet! Wish I had known this 2 weeks ago. I will check and see if any of it lived thru the transplant (didn't water any of it). If it did, you are welcome to it.
Thanks!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Lost Soul said:
Aside from the aroma what else is it good for? Can you smoke it? :peace:
Go ahead and try it. Let us know how it is. :lmao: :twitch:

Other than uses for its aroma, such as perfume and potpourri, lavender is also a natural relaxant and stress reliever. It has antiseptic and medicinal uses, plus is a natural flea and moth repellant, too.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Lost Soul said:
Aside from the aroma what else is it good for? Can you smoke it? :peace:

If your question is about mint, you can put a bunch of it into a gallon of white vinegar, and use it as a natural fly spray for horses or other animals (don't get it into the eyes obviously!!). There are all kinds of mint..lemon mint is way cool and delicious in iced or hot tea.
Lavendar is cool planted along a sidewalk or next to a door so you brush it when you walk by or open the door, and it smells wonderful. :peace:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
huntr1 said:
There's some in a pot and it hasn't been erradicated from the herb bed yet, or else I would have planted flowers there already.

*Note to self, need to break out the roundup.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The lavendar I had was originally in a pot. It lived, but otherwise didn't do well. It survived the move to our new house though and I planted in the ground, but the location was kind of shady. The plant did well, grew and expanded, but it took two years to bloom and they the blooms were wimpy. The only reason I dug it up though was that the mint had grown under it and the roots were tangled together and I needed to get rid of them mint.

Dymphna said:
There's some in a pot and it hasn't been erradicated from the herb bed yet, or else I would have planted flowers there already.

*Note to self, need to break out the roundup.
Roundup is on the far side of the boat just so ya know. If it ever stops raining, I will spray. Need to hit the grass/weeds in the driveway too.