Please don't call my house during this time

Dale Jr. says dad helped him out of fiery wreck

Associated Press
Posted: 9 hours ago

NEW YORK - Dale Earnhardt Jr. has trouble remembering those frantic seconds when he escaped from his burning racecar. He believes, however, his late father figured in his survival.

"I don't want to put some weird, you know, psycho twist on it like he was pulling me out or anything, but he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car," the NASCAR star said. "From the movement I made to unbuckle my belt to lying on the stretcher, I have no idea what happened."

Earnhardt recalled that perilous July day in Sonoma, Calif., during an interview with correspondent Mike Wallace for 60 Minutes that will be broadcast Wednesday on CBS.

Earnhardt's father was killed three years ago during the final lap of the Daytona 500 race. The son insists he felt his father's presence on the day when he scrambled out of his flaming car and was left with second-degree burns on his legs, neck and chin. In fact, he said, when he reached safety, he began inquiring about the "person" who helped him from the car.

Earnhardt told 60 Minutes he grabbed one of his representatives by the collar, "screaming at him to find the guy that pulled me out of the car. He was like, 'Nobody helped you get out,' and I was like, 'That's strange because I swear somebody ... had me underneath ... my arms and was carrying me out of the car."'

Wallace asks if that was his father.

"Yeah, I don't know," Earnhardt said. "You tell me. It ... freaks me out today just talking about it. It just gives me chills."

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Did ya'll watch the interview? I did ... and I laughed my butt off when (toward the end) he was talking about the "Dating for Dummies" book of his at the shop, and the interviewer asked him why he isn't any good at dating. His reply: "because around the third month, they all wanna drive the boat. Only I drive the boat!" (or something to that effect). :lol:

What woman in their right mind would rather say "I drove Dale Jr in a boat" vs say "Dale Jr drove me in his boat." :really:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
This isn't intended as a slam on Dale Sr. fans, but I wonder if Earnhardtism qualifies as a religion. Some days on my drive to work, I see more 3s with angel's wings than I do Jesus fishes. The father-and-son symbolism does seem a lot like Christian theology.

crabcake

Tonio said:
This isn't intended as a slam on Dale Sr. fans, but I wonder if Earnhardtism qualifies as a religion. Some days on my drive to work, I see more 3s with angel's wings than I do Jesus fishes. The father-and-son symbolism does seem a lot like Christian theology.

well :dur: :dork: who do you think they're talking about when they say "Father, Son, Holy Spirit, Amen"? If they're at the track and wearing a red or black shirt, you can bet it ain't J.C.! :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I watched it. He said that that after 3 months, they (the girl) want to drive the boat. I drive the boat. Meaning he's the boss, is what I assumed.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
crabcake said:
well :dur: :dork: who do you think they're talking about when they say "Father, Son, Holy Spirit, Amen"? If they're at the track and wearing a red or black shirt, you can bet it ain't J.C.! :lol:
:lol: So which driver is the Holy Spirit? And who would be Satan? Gordon? Stewart?

crabcake

Tonio said:
And who would be Satan? Gordon? Stewart?

Lately, I'd say Robbie Gordon, but he probably won't be a factor for next season (at least, in the Cup series). :lol: