ACL/meniscal tear - surgery

willie

I had the lateral meniscus arthroscopic surgery last year. I don't know if it is similar to what you will have done but mine was no big deal. You can watch the whole thing on the monitor while he chops up the ragged meniscus and that was very interesting. You'll get around pretty good the next day and in about 3 weeks I was 100%.

RangerJohn

happyappygirl said:
Anyone been through this? Just been diagnosed today.
want to put surgery OFF for a while....but it HURTS :bawl:
ouch....feel for you as I've been through several knee operations myself....tore them both playing rugby...

The meniscus are fairly easy to repair or "shave" down. And yes you are up and about in a few days.

Recovery from ACL reconstruction takes some time. Depending upon where you get the donor graft for the new ligament (I got my first from my patella and patella tendon)....if you are a pro athelete you might be able to have a normal life after 2-3 months, however most folks take a year to fully recover.

Don-joy makes a good ACL brace in case you might want to consider cleaning up the meniscus and putting off the ACL surgery (John Elway played most of his career without ACL's in either knee...but he wore the braces.)

Good luck on getting better

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
RangerJohn said:
Recovery from ACL reconstruction takes some time. Depending upon where you get the donor graft for the new ligament (I got my first from my patella and patella tendon)....if you are a pro athelete you might be able to have a normal life after 2-3 months, however most folks take a year to fully recover.

Pro athlete? :killingme yeah right....hobby horsewoman....does that count as pro? That's how it happened, that'll teach me to keep my knees tucked in on the trail...

The ortho doc gave me a brace that's hinged since it's not stable (gives out mostly going down/up stairs). The MRI next week will tell the whole story...EEK up to a YEAR?? Luckily it's not the leg i swing up onto the horse from. :frown: We're still riding! What do you take for the pain? 800 mg Ibuprophen every 8 hours don't tell this thing NUFFIN'!

RangerJohn

happyappygirl said:
Pro athlete? :killingme yeah right....hobby horsewoman....does that count as pro? That's how it happened, that'll teach me to keep my knees tucked in on the trail...

The ortho doc gave me a brace that's hinged since it's not stable (gives out mostly going down/up stairs). The MRI next week will tell the whole story...EEK up to a YEAR?? Luckily it's not the leg i swing up onto the horse from. :frown: We're still riding! What do you take for the pain? 800 mg Ibuprophen every 8 hours don't tell this thing NUFFIN'!

Oh yeah...I swear by the 800 mg Motrins. At one point I was taking one every 6 hours, but now am down to one a day. Doc gave me Vicodin for the first two weeks post surgery and flushed them down the toilet after the 2nd day. That stuff gives you dreams that people in Hell shouldn't have.

Have had 5 knee operations, 2 ACL's (each knee) and 2 meniscal tears, and 1 cleanup. Understand that ACL's can be reconstructed via scope now..depending on the doc...so that might decrease your down time.

You should be about 90% within 6 months post surgery...but I won't lie, it is gonna hurt!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
RangerJohn said:
Oh yeah...I swear by the 800 mg Motrins. At one point I was taking one every 6 hours, but now am down to one a day. Doc gave me Vicodin for the first two weeks post surgery and flushed them down the toilet after the 2nd day. That stuff gives you dreams that people in Hell shouldn't have.

Have had 5 knee operations, 2 ACL's (each knee) and 2 meniscal tears, and 1 cleanup. Understand that ACL's can be reconstructed via scope now..depending on the doc...so that might decrease your down time.

You should be about 90% within 6 months post surgery...but I won't lie, it is gonna hurt!
:tantrum
:bawl:
i don't want it to hurt....NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
i've had the meniscus chopped on the OTHER knee, and that was not too bad...this is different. it HURTS....

K

Katie

I had my ACL injured when I got hit by a car back in 98, you know car's hurt by the way... :lmao: But it took a few months for it to feel better. That was physical therapy, and a brace. I ditched the crutches after I almost fell down the stairs, decided I was safer limping, then using them darn things!