Go Birds??

birdman42

How about dem O’s??

Are the rest of you baseball nuts as ready for the new Season as I am?  The grass is green and Spring Training is under way.  I’ve got my Opening Day tickets and I’m psyched.  What do you think of the team this year?  Is this the big break out year for Hairston, Ponson or Towers?  Will Erickson and Hentgen return well from their injuries?  And just who is playing 3rd base in place of what’s his name?

birdman42

Amazing….   There’s apparently not a single other O’s fan on this forum….   An entire month goes by and I get not a single reply….   What a shame, with Jason Johnson, Josh Towers and Sidney Ponson, we’ve got 3 of the best young starters in the league, anchored by an old vet like Scott Erickson…   The year looks real interesting and promising….   And no one’s interested….      

Not a single reply…

I didn’t even get a Damn Yankees Fan, dropping by to be obnoxious and razzzz me….

Nothing….

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The last time I went to an O's game was their 2nd to last game at Memorial Stadium.  I've driven by the new stadium hundreds of times but I've never made it to a game yet, but I used to go when I was a kid.  I wasn't aware that the season had started already.  

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Birdman,

Albert Bell was the last straw for me. Then, BJ gets traded, another last straw. Before that, Davey gets his walking papers. Shoddy treatment of Cal. What else? Moose leaves, happily. And...

I'm just so sick and tired of Angelos and his petty smallness. I won't be the fan I used to be as long as he is around and/or still so lost as to the game itself.  Yes, I still keep track, kind of, but he makes me sad and dis-interested.

Dan Snyder is heading the same way at warp speed but for different reasons. They just don't get it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Former O's fan ....eagerly awaiting baseball in DC or VA unless there's some way we can trade Angelos.  

I totally agree with Larry.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry is right every time they get a halfway decent team the owner sells off the best and gets garbage in return.  Lets get a new club in DC and hopefully a National League team where they still play real baseball.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ken,

I find your recognition of the width and breadth of my point to be unsurprisingly sophisticated.

Cheerio

Wait a minute...real baseball? National League? What the hell is that supposed to mean!? Why, anytime one out of nine at bats is a virtually guaranteed strikeout, what do we call that? Sport? I think not. How ‘bout “8 Men Out”. Why, every time a national league pitcher gets a hit, let alone a home run, Sports Center comes screeching to a halt…

“This just in…The Big unit just smashed one down the first base line. The first baseman was startled by the interruption of his nap (after all, it was a pitcher at bat) over ran the ball, tripped, giggling at the site of a pitcher (A PITCHER!) actually running and the grass kept this screamer JUUUSSST fair…film at 11”

Pure sophistry. National League. Hell, half the teams came from New York at one point or another…how sophisticated can it be? So the manager has to juggle which pitcher he wants to put in to strike out next. Big deal. That’s not very sophisticated.

Now, handling 40 year ex-super stars too fat and broken down to play the field anymore and making “designated hitter” sound like something NOT out of a beer commercial, now THAT takes sophistication and THAT is how a MAN strikes out. And that don’t have to put on those little windbreakers either as they stand on base.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry,

You're suprisingly unsophisticated attitude towards pure baseball and the strategy of using a pinch-hitter when replacing your arm is amazing.  If he's performing and the D is solidly behind him with some production at the plate you can afford the unknown.  That's the sport of it Bro' , not the pumped up long ball swatter that can't bend over to tie his shoes, much less field a ball.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ken,

Actually, I've always had a secret admiration for the NL. It's just that I grew up an AL fan.

The funny part is that as kids, the best player was usually the pitcher AND the big stick!

In college, I think, teammates Mike Flanagan and George Brett were reversed: Brett pitched and Flanny was the big hitter?

I always love it when the manager has lost his mind and ends up with non-pitchers as the only guys left to pitch!

birdman42

That's an interesting piece of trivia about Flanagan and Brett...  I've followed Flanagan for years and didn't know that.... (also...  Loved your "take" on the DH....)

....  and I don't care what the rest of you guys think, unfortunately stupid idiotic jerk owners are a well established part of baseball history.....   I don't let any of those idiots ruin my simple love of the game....   players and owners come and go, screw 'em, it's spring...  the grass is green...   The Orioles Opening Day is Monday and I've got tickets....  The Bowie Baysox Opening Day is next Thursday and a bunch of my friends are meeting me there....  My 10 year old sons Little League team Opens on April 20th, he's starting pitcher and I'm 1st base coach...

I can't wait....

Play Ball!!!

Go Birds!!!