What do you support?

watercolor

yeah yeah
I was thinking about it for a while.. and wondering what things or organizations do support? At one time- it was never really important to me to worry about anyone but myself.. but once I was out of those rank years of my life I have come to realize there are so many things that I can support or even choose to help that may or may not require monetary vaulue. Alot of times its just about the 'us' scenario. Which is the human way of course. No matter if its something as small as picking up a penny and saving it in a mason jar to support a child or your child for college, or if its something that will cause you to better your life and leave less stress on you.

Some issues I am head strong with and forever will be. Sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choices with certain organizations. I weigh the pro's and con's in my head alot. Sometimes, so much so, that I give myself a headache! It's unreal with what oneself can do.. when they are worrying about other things than themselves. Its almost unbelieveable the worry. Almost like a mother over her child. LOL Somewhat lame. But when your heart grabs something and the passion flows in .. there is no turning back. Sometimes your heart just breaks so badly that you cant turn back and you just want to run with all your might to these places to help. Anyway- what I am getting at, is I wanted to share some of the places that I support so that you can see- and maybe empower you to stand along with me- or if not, go and seek your own passion that you want to envelop in your heart. :)

As you know- I have my baby sir lucas. Well my only baby for the time being. But he is our baby none-the-less. :) There is an organization that we are currently supporting with strong will that is going for a fight with the USDA and to have a small bill passed through the congress that can make a difference in our little man's life along with others of his kind. Its called Paw's of Justice. (www.pawofjustice.org).

The gist is that the USDA considers rats and mice (and birds oddly enough) to be "not animals" (per their random legal definitions) because someone way back when decided that lab animals were their own little thing and they didn't want the USDA messing with it.So, instead of having the usual schpiel of "rats and mice bred for use in research" they just dropped all rats and mice from protection. (well, they're covered under "General" but that's about as useful as wearing a swimsuit in December for warmth).

Someone sued, got bumped over a technicality, sued again, and now the USDA and this specific subpart of the USDA, APHIS, are reconsidering the issue....which is where we are now.(It's like a soap opera only more cryptic in that legal kind of way)

But now we have the options:
1) Things stay as they are (yuck)
2) Rats and mice get bumped to "food and fiber" (even yuckier)
3) Rats and mice get their own little blurb like hamsters and guinea pigs do with some basic regulations for space, cleanliness, breeding practices, etc.

One of the main things that got my butt in gear was the pictures I saw on that site and it really tore at my heart strings some of the damaged ways they treat these poor animals. I know you are probably thinking.. EWWW rats... but honestly they are not bad, and as "eww" as you think...they are quite intelligent and loving animals.. but people dont give them the chance in the world.. only to use them as feed.. which fancy rats are NOT that.

My next organization is for the Manatee's. :) They are such gentle loving creatures, but get bombarded and given a wrong name, just because people are not truly aware of what a wonderful creature they are. Manatee's are herbiavors. SO, if you were to come in contact with one while swimming, you wouldnt get eaten alive. They are very tame creatures.. even if they are out in the wild. Although- let me recommend.. not to go swiming in their territory- not because harm to yourself, but because the chemicals from your body (people who like to pee in the pool.. this is somewhat directed to you...you foul people...LOL) will mix with their system and could cause harm. :) Hence the reason they dont really let people go "swiming with the mantaee" anymore. (which I am pretty bummed about.. always wanted to do that.).

Alot of times manatee's are damaged by boat propellar's and red tide and other such things. This is when the rescue system comes into part. Save the Manatee (savethemanatee.org) They will come in and bring the manatee to a habitat that is reablitation in itself not only for the physical but the emtional and mental state too. They are intelligent relaxed creatures. The only problem is, that they dont have the places to put them.. because people dont want to share the waters, or would rather pollute the waters with BS and not care anything but for themselves. (They have obviously not grown into thinking of others, even if they are animals). This site that I spoke of is awesome and you can even adopt a manatee of your own. :) You can see pictures of what a beautiful creature they really are.

Manatees can be found in shallow, slow-moving rivers, estuaries, saltwater bays, canals and coastal areas. Manatees are a migratory species. Within the United States, West Indian manatees are concentrated in Florida in the winter, but they can be found in summer months as far west as Texas and as far north as Virginia. However, these sightings are rare. Manatees are gentle and slow-moving. Most of their time is spent eating, resting, and in travel. Manatees are completely herbivorous. They eat aquatic plants and can consume 10-15% of their body weight daily in vegetation. They graze for food along water bottoms and on the surface. They may rest submerged at the bottom or just below the surface, coming up to breathe on the average of every three to five minutes. When manatees are using a great deal of energy, they may surface to breathe as often as every 30 seconds. When resting, manatees have been known to stay submerged for up to 20 minutes.

Do you have a dog? A cat? A rabbit? maybe a hamster or two? Fish, Bird, or ferret...Pot bellie pig Or even a snake for that matter. (even though I dont like them, I would never harm them). Do you take care of it? Do you love them unconditionally?Do you stand by their side? Do you provide them comfort and warmth? Do you keep them fed with happiness? Well, have you ever put in to perspective that they do all this for you without a cost of anything but wanting a secure home filled with love and attention. Do you know that unconditionally they will do anything for you just because they love you. Love.. what a powerful metaphore. They have no discrimination, no ethnic preference or body specification. They do not say, hey you're getting too fat, I will leave if you dont keep your body in shape. Or say, I am mad at you because you laugh differently than me.

Unconditional is a foundation that can not be broken, and can cause your heart to be overwhelmed to a point that you never thought existed. But- if you are one of those not willing to give that time back- that they give to you- why do you keep them? Why keep a little rabbit outside all the time, through the dead cold of winter? Why let his little body freeze? Why keep your dog on a chain when she would be the one to make your house a better place. She could be the feature making your house a home. She would much rather be there by your side with a simple pat on the head and a warm blanket than be on a chain hoping and waiting to be released into your arms. A dirty dingy fish tank full of nothing but your own waste, coming into your mouth through your nervous system and only to be done a million times over, would you like to live your life like this?

Some people just dont have the time to take care of another thing in their lives, because they are so jammed packeted with other activites. Nothing wrong with that. I am glad that you are so intertwined. Its a good thing. But not a good thing for those who are left behind without a thought in the world. That is where the next organization I support comes into play. :) The Humane Society.(www.hsus.org/ace/352). They are advocates for those who cannot speak in the human form for themselves. Who step into find a loving enviornment for those who have the space and a little extra time in their lives to give that little ounce of extra care for them. :) Who when you bring your little one in, that you can no longer care for or give the attention needed to promote the well being in their life.

watercolor

yeah yeah
It doesnt take much. Talking to them, even if they are just laying there sleeping on their blanket or in their cage/bowl/home that is provided. The occasional stroke of praise and touch. :) but sometimes, there is just no time in the busy day to day demands of life. Im not saying you are a bad person for doing any of the above.. because you are not.. but if by chance you do catch yourself in a scenario above.. maybe open your heart a little wider for your friend and possibly give them the opportunity you could not give them: a better home. :) Just think about the opportunities you were given in life to excel. Is it to much to ask to share the same joy with that little one? :)

What people seem to forget is that just because they dont have 2 legs and walk like them/talk like them/have some sort of intelect like them.. they are not to be dealt with. Which is quite the contrary...they were put on the earth to bring you joy and happiness.. and even release stress and bring your "intelect" if you will to a whole different level if you were to open your hearts..to them. More often than not, they are forgotten because they aren't really known about. What I mean by this is- unless you know the real reason instead of having a callous adversion of them- they will not be known, and even less be helped because of a demented perception of them.

These are just some of the places that I support. :) Might wanna look into some if the interest is there. Maybe just even call a local chapter around your area- to see what you can do to help. If it's not monetary, maybe helping out. Or even slapping a logo on your website and or 3.00 for a bumpersticker.

:) Your choice. :)

Your choice that could make a difference for a better choice of their life. :) You are sticking up for them, when they cant. :) If you came all the way down and read this.. I am very impressed by you! :)

K

Kain99

Your love of God's critters is honorable....Personally, if I was going to support an organization it would be one that lifted humanity.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Kain99 said:
Your love of God's critters is honorable....Personally, if I was going to support an organization it would be one that lifted humanity.

That is why I put the rant of mine in the pets section. I have other things I support also.. but this was just the aspect of animals. :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, have better plans and places to put my money in then "rename the rat" or "save the Rat" or "Shave the Rat"

And someday I may explain it to everyone, wish I could do what I want now, but it will take YEARS to save up the money... would love to do fundraising for what I want to do, then you have too many hands involved, and others would be making decisions that I want to make..

BUT this post does bring into question... How much do you think you contribute to charity every year? I give a lot of money to "children" charities every year.. SHriners, Danny Thomas, and several others.. My church believes I should give 10% to them, but feel my 10% is put to much better use in a burn hospital, or MDA.. even Veteran Charities.. like survivor charities providing scholarships to kids of men and women killed in the line of duty..

K

Katie

itsbob said:
BUT this post does bring into question... How much do you think you contribute to charity every year? I give a lot of money to "children" charities every year.. SHriners, Danny Thomas, and several others.. My church believes I should give 10% to them, but feel my 10% is put to much better use in a burn hospital, or MDA.. even Veteran Charities.. like survivor charities providing scholarships to kids of men and women killed in the line of duty..

I contribute a ton of time. I do the bike rides for charity, and most of the time I can't raise enough money so the minimum comes out of my own pocket. This year I gave to my AIDS rides about 2000.00 not counting all the stuff that my co-workers get me for with their kids.

I also support various charities with just donating my time, so there is NO one out there that can say I don't do enough for others.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Katie said:
I contribute a ton of time. I do the bike rides for charity, and most of the time I can't raise enough money so the minimum comes out of my own pocket. This year I gave to my AIDS rides about 2000.00 not counting all the stuff that my co-workers get me for with their kids.

I also support various charities with just donating my time, so there is NO one out there that can say I don't do enough for others.

I would agree, that's is as good if not better then money..

Tried to ask if I could give 10% of my time instead.. you know.. I could mow the grass, shovel snow (was in NH at the time) what ever they needed.. figured four hours a week wasn't too much to ask.. naaaah they wanted my $$$$. SO now they get neither.. and not to be cynical.. but you should be taking care of your future needs first.. 10% to savings or investments.. make sure you won't be depending on a charity in your old age. think not being a burden would be a GREAT donation..

Gonna start a rant if I keep it up!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I refuse to give to organizations. Most of that money goes for admin costs and crap and very little of it goes to the people it's intended for. I've adopted families at Christmas, donated meal gift certificates for Thanksgiving, swung a hammer for Christmas in April, and many other things that directly benefit folks who don't have it so good.

I'll give gladly to fundraisers set up for folks who have big medical bills, fire destroyed their house or whatever. But I'll be a sunny bean if I'll give money to "charities" whose administrators make 6-figure salaries.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
I refuse to give to organizations. Most of that money goes for admin costs and crap and very little of it goes to the people it's intended for. I've adopted families at Christmas, donated meal gift certificates for Thanksgiving, swung a hammer for Christmas in April, and many other things that directly benefit folks who don't have it so good.

I'll give gladly to fundraisers set up for folks who have big medical bills, fire destroyed their house or whatever. But I'll be a sunny bean if I'll give money to "charities" whose administrators make 6-figure salaries.

Well, that's all in the research.. there are actual charities out there that less then 10% of money raised ever goes to the actual beneficiaries.. there are others out there that over 90% does.. Think Shriners is one of the BEST at getting your money to where it matters.. as is Thomas' St Judes.. Think one of the worst was Sally Struthers, "stop talking to me and give the kid a sammich, commercial" charity, as are a LOT of the televangelist charities.

If you have any questions please forward your money to my charity of choice.. NAABC ...

National Association for the Advancement of Bob Chapman...

sockgirl77

i buy a present for one of those kids off of the wal*mart xmas tree every year. i save my can tabs for children's hospital. i used to donate time to big sisters. i send no cash donations to anyone. and i still get books of free address labels every year.

D

dems4me

I try to tithe 10% of my salary, but havn't been to church in a while so I get all the donation requests that I get in the mail for two weeks and stick it in a bag because I don't know which one's really need help and which one's don't. Then when I get paid I take the bag out (now about 50-60 charities, animal req., relgious orgs., etc..) and pray that I pick out the right one's to pick out to help and throw a 10.00 check in it according to what I got paid, then I throw the rest out... hope that helps some. :smile:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sockgirl77 said:
i buy a present for one of those kids off of the wal*mart xmas tree every year. i save my can tabs for children's hospital. i used to donate time to big sisters. i send no cash donations to anyone. and i still get books of free address labels every year.

LAst year my office sponsored a tree for a local church.. I HAD to pick out a boy and a girl... both I think were 10 years old..

Got the girl a biciycle and helmet, boy wanted a skateboard, helmet and pads. Kids really had a great time shopping for them. Let my youngest pick out the bike. We really had fun with it, and kids thought it was a cool idea, even if they had to go without a small present or two.

sockgirl77

dems4me said:
I try to tithe 10% of my salary, but havn't been to church in a while so I get all the donation requests that I get in the mail for two weeks and stick it in a bag because I don't know which one's really need help and which one's don't. Then when I get paid I take the bag out (now about 50-60 charities, animal req., relgious orgs., etc..) and pray that I pick out the right one's to pick out to help and throw a 10.00 check in it according to what I got paid, then I throw the rest out... hope that helps some. :smile:
oh yeah, i do give cash in the offering tray at church. forgot about that.

sockgirl77

itsbob said:
LAst year my office sponsored a tree for a local church.. I HAD to pick out a boy and a girl... both I think were 10 years old..

Got the girl a biciycle and helmet, boy wanted a skateboard, helmet and pads. Kids really had a great time shopping for them. Let my youngest pick out the bike. We really had fun with it, and kids thought it was a cool idea, even if they had to go without a small present or two.
i gave small gifts. i usual pick out a barbie for a little 8 year old or a tonka truck for a little 4 year old.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
dems4me said:
Well, depending on the church.. You have NO way of knowing what your money you are tithing is going for..

Buying a new painting for their Mission?

Paying for the legal defense of a child rapist?

Of course you're paying the "salary" for thousands of people.

And granted some of the money goes for good, but how much, and to whom??

There is NO way of knowing, because churches don't keep books!!

And that goes back to the earlier reply of.. if only pennies on my dollar are going to the actual beneficiary... while the admin folks are gettig 6 figures...

If the Catholic church sold two or three of their paintings in the Vatican they could probably feed all the starving catholic children in the Western Hemisphere for a year or two, or defend all of their priests for a year or two... and NOT picking on Catholics, it's the same for ALL major religions.. Most are set up as businesses.. have huge investment capital.. investment properties.. own stock.. and yet they pay NO taxes.

D

dems4me

itsbob said:
Well, depending on the church.. You have NO way of knowing what your money you are tithing is going for..

Buying a new painting for their Mission?

Paying for the legal defense of a child rapist?

Of course you're paying the "salary" for thousands of people.

And granted some of the money goes for good, but how much, and to whom??

There is NO way of knowing, because churches don't keep books!!

And that goes back to the earlier reply of.. if only pennies on my dollar are going to the actual beneficiary... while the admin folks are gettig 6 figures...

If the Catholic church sold two or three of their paintings in the Vatican they could probably feed all the starving catholic children in the Western Hemisphere for a year or two, or defend all of their priests for a year or two... and NOT picking on Catholics, it's the same for ALL major religions.. Most are set up as businesses.. have huge investment capital.. investment properties.. own stock.. and yet they pay NO taxes.

That is sooo pesimistic IT -- I know that my heart is in the right place and the Lord see's that it is. I'm not shrewd with donating money -- I seem to always get back 10 fold here or there when I need it... I say what comes around goes around.... :smile: