MD Vehicle Inspection Woes

MDindef

Well, I just went through it. I got hit hard on a vehicle inspection yesterday. I need a new front exhaust pipe and a tailpipe, among other things. The shop I took it to for these repairs wants way to much for the value of the truck.

Does anyone know a good "shade-tree" mechanic who can weld some pipes for me, and a few other things at a reasonable price?

This truck "passed" inspection in June. That was some of the basis for my buying it. But the only way it could have passed is if the previous owner did something creative with the inspector.

Anyone have any advice for me? It's a good truck, and I don't want it to become a yard ornament because I can't get it licensed.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MDindef
This truck "passed" inspection in June. That was some of the basis for my buying it. But the only way it could have passed is if the previous owner did something creative with the inspector.

If it passed in June, why are you getting it inspected again? Unless you didn't get it tagged and the 90 days have expired. Best bet is to replace what is bad and not patch it with welding that might or might not pass and could be a hazard to the operator.

While wrenching on exhaust systems is nothing I would consider fun, you can usually replace them for well below half of what any shop wants to charge you for the job.

MDindef

Ken, I'm well outside of the ninety days. What I'm saying is that the previous owner must have had some kind of deal with the inspector. Otherwise, there's no way it would have passed 3 1/2 months ago.

I'm not planning on welding patches, I just don't need the whole thing removed/replaced for over half the truck's value!

By the way, I'm in the Park, but would travel for the right mechanic or inspection.

SxyPrincess

MD,

Did you know that if you can provide receipts as to what you've spent (I believe up to $250) you can request a waiver from the MVA. You will then be able to tag the vehicle.

There are some shady mechanics out there...especially in the Waldorf area. I know of two that will give you an inspection sticker for $50. :bubble:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
MD,

Did you know that if you can provide receipts as to what you've spent (I believe up to $250) you can request a waiver from the MVA. You will then be able to tag the vehicle.

That waiver is only for Emissions Inspections, which we don't have in St. Mary's County.

He's talking about the actual safety inspection that is required to get a license plate. There is no waiver for "attempting" to fix and pass a safety inspection. You are required to repair everything that won't pass inspection, and you must get it re-inspected until it passes. (Or make the vehicle a yard ornament, as previously mentioned!)

MDindef

FYI - Good, Honest Inspector/Garage

Got the same truck out of inspection at a different garage. Most of the hits from the first garage were bogus. I got a couple of easy hits to fix (idler arm and brake shoes) and I'll be on the road, nice and legal.

frogger

Can you tell me where you went for your inspection? I'm really not worried since my car is only a year old, but I'd rather get it right the first time.

jamesbond

inspection sticker

MD,

There are some shady mechanics out there...especially in the Waldorf area. I know of two that will give you an inspection sticker for $50. :bubble:

I need to buy an inspection sticker for my truck. Can you sell me one?