PMU Foal Rescues?

Josimmon

I just moved to the area two months ago. I did some horse rescue work in NC. I would like to continue my work by adopting either a PMU foal or two year old and younger colt/gelding. Does anyone know of someone in the area that either has a PMU foal or a young guy that needs a home....I found some places in PA, VA & NJ but I would like to do a local rescue / adoption. I would appreciate any and all info!

Josimmon

Because someone on another post killed me...I didn't say anything bad or mean but they were :ohwell: I guess some people on these boards do not welcome newbies very well.

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking.

eazyevans

Hola. I can't say I know of a "local" rescue group, although I think there is a small outfit that handles horses and other barn yard critters on this side of the bridge. There are rescue groups in Maryland (i.e., Days End; ReRun). There are numerous racehorses looking for homes. Try www.canterusa.org....these horses are up for adoption. Some have raced, some haven't, and some might need time to recover from an injury. I wouldn't recommend taking of an ex-racer unless you have had experience with them in the past and/or are an advanced rider. They come with various price tags. Actually, there is a 2 year old filly posted under the Mid-Atlandtic section that I inquired about (because I couldn't figure out why they weren't going to race her) and she is $700. I have seen some awesome horses posted there. You also may want to look at horses from the harness racing world. I'm sure the USTA has links or info on rescue organizations. Good Luck!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
I have a nice registered app filly regular papers double bred Zippo Pine bar you can rescue for $2500 a nice reg standardbred gelding rides drives you can rescue him for $1500

Happy has a couple you can rescue too!!

:lmao: she/he could rescue the red dun QH for 2200.00 if she wanted to "save him" from a life in overeaters annonymous :lol:

Josimmon

Thanks Eazyevans! I was just discussing a race horse possibility with my trainer yesterday. She has taken a few in, so she knows the drill. She was also telling me that 60% of these horses go for slaughter :twitch: I never knew it was that high! I would have my work cut out for me but I expect that with a rescue anyway. Thanks for the info and I will see what they have.

Josimmon

happyappygirl said:
:lmao: she/he could rescue the red dun QH for 2200.00 if she wanted to "save him" from a life in overeaters annonymous :lol:

:lmao: Thanks appyday & happyappygirl I will keep that in mind if I can't find one a bit more needy.....somehow I think you two spoil your horses :dance: so I would have big shoes to fill as the new mommy!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Josimmon said:
Thanks Eazyevans! I was just discussing a race horse possibility with my trainer yesterday. She has taken a few in, so she knows the drill. She was also telling me that 60% of these horses go for slaughter :twitch: I never knew it was that high! I would have my work cut out for me but I expect that with a rescue anyway. Thanks for the info and I will see what they have.

If your racehorse possibility falls thru (I assume you are talking about TB's off the track) perhaps you could look into adopting a Standardbred? Not sure who to hook you up with though, hate to send you up to Rosecroft all alone! If you are still looking, please try Days End Farm, they are up near Hagerstown. I know one of the women who work there, and they care about where they place their horses. You could always wander down to Westminster and pick up some young, buted/tranqued wild thing for a few hundred. (JUST KIDDING!)

GOod luck in your search, the horse who needs you will find you. :dance:

Josimmon

Thanks for the info AMP! Yes I was looking into an off track TB and I am starting to research the Standardbreds (I have limited experience with that breed). I know about Days End (wanted to start volunteering there but it is too far away) but currently they don't have what I am looking for. I just found a few places that I am going to look closer at, adoptahorse.org, horseloversunited & summerwindstables. Going to Westminister was going to be my last resort (that is the auction around here right?) but you are right, I would have no clue what I was getting into.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Horses in need of rescue...301 area code

All: This is an EDITED CROSSPOST that was passed on to
me:

........This is a very unfortunate situation. I saw a ad in
my local paper "Horses for adoption" I called and went to see
these horses. I.........we get there........it
looked to be an abandoned house, no curtains. weeds as high
as some trees......old rusty cars sitting
around......you get the picture. ........... We could see three yearlings in the front of the
barn, I walked up to look in....staring back at me was a
look in an animals I had never seen before......it struck my heart like an arrow, mane all matted, no
water........manure must have been a foot deep. .............. to my left were three yearlings
in a 12x12 stall i looked in, no water or hay and looked
down to look at their feet, i WAS SHOCKED to see that
they were standing in ATLEAST 3 feet of RAW MANURE. These
yearling were actually hoping, straight back from
there was an albino, old man said.......he's a Stud!
(standing in a 6x6 veal stall with the same manure
conditions no water). ...........We looked and saw all types of
horses, covered with briarshorses looked like they were
wearing hats, their tails looked like a baseball bat, just hanging, must be close to 25 total in this field, mares all in foal for next season, most mares had a foal by there side...........old man says.......he's the one doing all the
damage.........he's only three............Let me just shorten
this up for you guys, he's been doing this for 30 years..........he
gives no vacs.....no dewormer, basically no
nothing.....................I have 40 acres, and feel that this
is the right thing to do for these animals...........I am
going to need additional help with, feed, hay,
meds...........I have my vet volunteering his time to
administer the vacs.............my biggest concern
is getting them here first and taken care of. We will have to find
good "Quality HOMES" for these animals.........If any of you are
interested please e-mail me at
h2ohagerstownmd@aol.com plse keep in mind that the age range of these Equine
range from 3months to 22 years old all the mares are
in foal.teher are no geldings..........only about 4
stallions and atleast 3 colts.There will be an
adoption fee, The Spca will decide this fee. I will have more
information tommorrow.
Shane in MD
e-mail H2ohagerstownmd@aol.com

....PM me for the phone number.

Josimmon

Oh my God!!!! I hate people like this! :tantrum I can not understand why people do things like this! Thank you for the info, I have left a voice mail at the number you gave me. I will fill you in if I get more info.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Hi there. Elle Williams has been in touch with this
man and has already taken in 3 of his horses.

The truth about these horses is that they are wild.
They have had no handling and don't have any manners.
They would only be able to be taken in by someone who
is willing to give them a long-term commitment. They
cannot be worked with over a couple of months and
rehomed.

Here is what she said based on her experience with the
situation:

"Out of the 30 he had he only wanted to give us about
11 - most of the babies he thinks he will be able to
sell - there is a 3 year old stud running the herd and
keeping everyone bred. 3 yr. old mare with a 2 year
old at her side - and a 1 year old next to her - all
bred - 10 babies hit ground this spring - 4 albino's
and 2 died in field - it is a nightmare.

... they could be fine for a long time and then turn
on you -- it's bad when you have something that big
that is dangerous. The man that owns the horses signed
the ones we got over to HorseNet...

In order to geld one of the three we took in - a 3 1/2
year old stud colt who had never been handled and
never had a halter on - took 2 darts from a dart gun
and 10cc of rompin to lay him out for 15 min. He was
gelded, had 3 feet trimmed and got up -- and was not
groggy at all -- they are very tough horses. It's not
only that they are all unhandled and wild -- but the
inbreeding adds another dimension to the training /
rehabbing problem. This herd has been on it's own for
between 15 - 20 years....that's alot of inbreeding.

After 10 months in a stall one is barely halter broke
-and barely leads. He still refuses to pick up his
feet and is not trustworthy in the stall.

If we took the pregnant horses - you are theoretically
looking at about a total of 50 horses with all the
ones that are pregnant.

There is a 2 year old appy - looks gorgeous with
beautiful blanket - he is still with mommy because he
has to be a crypt orchid -- if he was viable the stud
would have run him off. The option of watching the
herd is wonderful - just watching the interaction - of
a truly wild herd -- but what happens to them is a
crap shoot and not good for many of them.

Originally when we put out the word asking for help
trailering we got a few people that responded -- but
once I explained exactly what we were dealing with --
the numbers dwindled. It is a mess - feel sorry for
the horses - but in our society they have to learn how
to lead, how to pick up their feet - how to retain
some
semblance of decorum -- i.e. not destroying people -
jumping on them - kicking - biting, etc.....there are
rules - these horses have no boundaries and don't care
if they run over top of you. Grain does not entice
them or have any bearing in their world. It isn't a
case where you can work with one of these horses for a
month or two and move it on to another home -- they
are long term projects that may never have a happy
ending.

Anyone that wants to contact me is welcome to - I'll
explain it all to them - and they can make their own
decision. HorseNet isn't financially able, facility
able/space available nor do we have the experienced
personnel to take it on. Elle"
=====
R, Beth
The Horse: Friendship without envy, Beauty without vanity, Nobility without conceit, A willing partner, yet no slave. ~ RIP Everest, 13 July 2004 ~
Yellow Fish Designs (www.yellowfishdesigns.com)
CANTER Mid Atlantic (www.canterusa.org)
HorseNet Horse Rescue (www.horsenethorserescue.org)

AMP

Jersey attitude.
appyday said:
Personally I have no need for anything like that..he is breeding lethal whites. I say put them all down and bury them...sorry I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. There are too many good horses out there then to have to deal with a bad one. This is the type of situation that slaughter houses were made for................BRING ON THE BAD KARMA!!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree. No bad karma from me - those trash horses are taking time and energy away from someone who could pick up a horse at New Holland, or an OTT TB, or a horse from a summer camp and make it into a good mount for resale or to keep for themselves. There are times when sending a horse "down the road" is the best option. But of course we have the wide-eyed ten-year-old girl mentality that thinks every pretty horsie should be saved, and that is why 'sales' like New Holland are always jammed.

I also feel this way about rescued cats (people come to your farm begging you to take them in, like we don't have enough barn cats already). But that's off-topic.

Josimmon

Appyday I agree with you too. My first instinct would be to try and save them but honestly they are too wild to tame. I worked with a stallion that was from a breeding farm and he was in a heard that was wild. But they were outside not stuck in a barn. I think you end up with mental illness if the animal is jailed like these were. I was able to work with this little guy to the point where he was gelded and adopted....he gave me kisses by me saying...kiss.

These horses sound too far from the possibility of saving not to mention the health issues from the in-breeding. I thought of maybe a baby from this but again, the health issues would be crazy. The older ones may need to be put down if they are that dangerous. If the in-breeding is so bad the vets feel that the babies will be a health issue for the rest of their lives then they should be put down too. It is very sad and I think they should string this SOB up by his...well you know....but because it is an animal and not a child, he will get away with it.

If we have updates on this story, I would love to here about them. I have not gotten a call back from the number I called last night. I am wondering what the vets are saying. Animal lovers tend to make abuse situations worse sometimes because they get so mad (I am guilty of that myself). Some of these horses may be salvageable....who knows....

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I have a lovely blanketed Appy from Canter. She is one of the best if not THE best horse I have ever owned or been owned by I should say...and light of my life.

Josimmon

Thanks for the link with HorseNet! I see one I want to go look at...Valor but she said she had over 30 horses so I may see another one. Days End did not have one that caught my eye and Canter was a bit higher priced then I was looking to pay for a rescue. Thanks again for all the leads everyone!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Josimmon said:
Amp....what is New Holland?

It's as another person described below - an auction that is visited by slaughterers. You could end up with a decent horse from there, becasue people do dump them, but alot of them that are not sold go for kill.

I didn't mean it to sound like you could go down there and get a horse off a 'farm' like the one mentioned that might be slaughtered at New HOlland, but that you could get something decent enough to rehab.

Much better to do as you're doing and go thru the rescue organizations.

Josimmon

When do they hold these? Monthly or quarterly? My trainer was telling me about them but I am afraid to get one that had hidden problems....I am also looking at personality and from what I understand, these horses are scared to death (as they should be) stressed out and do not act themselves. Which I totally understand. How where you able to judge their personalities in those conditions? I guess I am thinking of auctions as a horrible place and would be afraid of missing a great horse due to the caos.