Round bales??

AMP

Jersey attitude.
I would check around for someone who gets it in from PA, probably cheaper and apt to be nicer hay. We have a bunch coming, and they are cheap, but not sure where from or if my barn owner's dad would have a few to sell. I will ask her tomorrow. You are down in St Leonard? Not sure how close that is to Callaway, but if he has any I will let you know.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Oh, and, my parents are out in Western PA, I drive up there about once a month, and farmers have millions of round bales just rotting in the fields around there! Farmers would probably pay someone to come get it. Grrrr, what I would not give for a flatbed and enough cash for gas. Makes me sick when we have to scrape by down here.

Gooseneck

appyday said:
I am paying $35 for round bales right now and cant really get the quality I want. I saw some for $25 but they were so poor and nasty even my pig would not sleep in it..I only feed good clean hay and prefer 3rd cutting...right now I am paying over $4 per bale for squares..

I believe the quality of round bales is a lot more suspect when compared to square bales. I believe the reason is that farmers tend to leave round bales sit in the field longer than they do square bales. This is why we go with square bales exclusively.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
appyday said:
I am paying $35 for round bales right now and cant really get the quality I want. I saw some for $25 but they were so poor and nasty even my pig would not sleep in it..I only feed good clean hay and prefer 3rd cutting...right now I am paying over $4 per bale for squares..

Hey, I finally got some nice square bales, as a matter of fact I was thinking that with a little ranch dressing it might make a yummy salad, it looked that good! Sweet, fluffy, pretty, green, fragrant, horses acted like it was candy. $2.75, delivered and stacked (by four of this guy's 15 kids!). I had to wait, it was third cutting, but was it worth it! Never though I'd be this excited over hay.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
AMP said:
I would check around for someone who gets it in from PA, probably cheaper and apt to be nicer hay. We have a bunch coming, and they are cheap, but not sure where from or if my barn owner's dad would have a few to sell. I will ask her tomorrow. You are down in St Leonard? Not sure how close that is to Callaway, but if he has any I will let you know.
Are these round bales? I have a flat bed, and will be willing to drive to get it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I think i can get 8 on my trailer if it's packed tightly, so i'd buy at least 8 at a time for my guys.

Cowgirl

Hey everyone,
I moved to Vermont from MD this summer and now I'm a hay farmer. We don't have any hay for sale now, but we will this coming summer. We will have more hay than we can shake a stick at. We have mixed grass hay, with some alfalfa...but we're probably going to seed alfalfa in the spring. If a group of you want to get together and pay for a tractor trailer, we could send a load down. It's absolutely beautiful hay. I know it's hard to find nice hay in MD...most people cut it too late or it's too weedy. Even our first cut hay was green and the animals love it. If you want pictures of the hay, just email me (aggieterpkatie@yahoo.com) and I can send you some. We can probably give you a better price per ton than you can find down there also. Let me know!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
will you do rounds or square? so you have any rounds for sale up there to bring down by the tractor trailer load?

Cowgirl

We could do either square or round bales. We don't have any now...we just have enough to feed our animals through winter. I'm not sure how many round bales we could get on a tractor trailer....would you have a way of unloading them when they got there? They're the 4X4 bales and they weight around 600 lbs. Two people could move them around pretty easily...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
yes, we have a New Holland tractor and haypole, with a couple of manly men to unload :smile:
So you will take orders for next year? When will it be ready?

Cowgirl

Well everyone, just found out yesterday that I have to move back to MD. The hay farm will still be here...so I'm sure you can put your order in if needed. I'll just have to tell my boss that he might want to ship some to MD. I'm sure he'd love the opportunity to make more round bales and fewer square bales! Do you think you'd like first or second cut? First cut is usually ready first of June, second cut about 35 days after that.