New Addition to the house

K

Kizzy

I have been hanging out at the Humane Society Monday during lunch and Tuesday after work, more than 4-hours total. I played with all the cats/kittens in the joint and went back to this longhaired kitten about 4-5 months old. He was caged with his sister. First, we wanted a female, second, we agreed no longhaired cats, but you know, you start playing with them and pick the one you think will fit into your home and the one you think has the best personality. I spoke to the workers and the vet there so much I thought they were going to toss me out on my butt, but I just wanted to be completely informed before introducing a cat into our 1-dog house, who happens to be a Jack Russell terrier. Well, the kittens they had all seemed to not want to be near a dog or near another cat for that matter, and not fond of children, except these two, even the workers mentioned that they are extremely playful, never hiss, lay on their backs and want their bellies rubbed, will go limp in your arms when you picked them up, and they hardly left any hair on you after holding them, surprising, since they are long haired kittens.

I picked up the kids and they spent well over an hour last night playing with these animals, spending a good majority of their time playing with these two 4-5 month old kittens. They decided they wanted this longhaired, male kitten, and not any of the tiny little 8-week old kittens. We were allowed to take them out of the cage and were playing with them on the floor. There were a couple of puppies in the room as well (after some dingus brought his mean arse 100+ pound dog in for drop off we were all sent to the cat room and told to shut the door), but the kittens wanted to play with the puppies. They never showed any fear, just a playful side, batting the kids, and never ever put their claws out. I informed the kids just before we left that the kitten they picked was the one I had already put an application on, they were hysterically excited, the person in charge walked over (who had told me earlier that if there was a change this evening after they visited she would make it on the application) and said, your kitten will be ready anytime after 11 a.m. tomorrow (which is today).

Anyway, after I got home, I searched “Persians” on the Internet since I assumed that is what they were, but after reading about the breads, comparing looks and such, I think they are a ragamuffin or a ragdoll, there are pictures on the ragdoll site that are identical and their personality characterics are right on target. Of course they claim so much is in the pedigree, but actually these breeds are developed when a Persian breeds with a housecat. At least that was my take; of course I’m sure a breeder would be extremely quick to disagree with me calling these kittens just muts, but the personality just seems to be right on target in everything I’ve read. Anyway, I wonder if I would adopt its littermate if he might not be too quick to make friends with the dog? Another thought we had and something we discussed with one of the ladies there, is bringing him home now and leaving a phone number that if she isn’t adopted within the next 2-weeks to call, giving us a choice, therefore giving us the opportunity to introduce this one in the house and personally, there is strong possibility she’ll end up adopted anyway.

Anyway, they have been extremely helpful in giving us suggestions on how to introduce this new addition into the house. They said my DH and I should plan to meet at the front door before bringing the kitten inside. Since Milo is more attached to my son, and me one of us should come in the house, pick him up and hold him while the introduction is done with my DH holding the kitten. In the past, Milo has seemed to be extremely well natured around other pets, small and large dogs alike. I’ve spoken to the kids about not giving the kitten too much attention and leaving Milo out as suggested by the staff. They also suggested I bring Milo home a bone and toy to give him after the introduction. Personally, I really think he is going to be fine with this particular kitten. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what we should do to make this union pleasant?

I forgot to bring my fricken camera, both times. Errr anyway this is a picture of a kitten we found on the Internet we thought looked close. I'll take some pictures and post later after he arrives.

K

Kizzy

The other picture I wanted to post is too big. Anyway, this kitten might look like this when he grows up except the colors are different. He has white hair sticking out of his ears and is more of a lilac color. He has a very long and bushy tail.

Attachments

• ragamuffin.jpg
    ragamuffin.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 193
K

Kizzy

Yes and I finally got the attachment up. :dork:

Anyway, I hope some cat people will give some suggestions on a new introdcution to the home.

When we brought Remington into the house, I held him and let Mackenzie and Hunter (cat and dog) investigate him on their own, while protecting him/them from each other. Hunter and Remington get along GREAT! Mackenzie and Remington get along OK. Sometimes Remington invades Mackenzie's space, and cat fight ensues. It is real fun when that happens at 2 a.m. on your bed.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
huntr1 said:
When we brought Remington into the house, I held him and let Mackenzie and Hunter (cat and dog) investigate him on their own, while protecting him/them from each other. Hunter and Remington get along GREAT! Mackenzie and Remington get along OK. Sometimes Remington invades Mackenzie's space, and cat fight ensues. It is real fun when that happens at 2 a.m. on your bed.

Had to comment on the names. I remember when I was name hunting for #2 and considering Remington. I think Dymph mentioned that if I chose the name she'd have 2 pets w/the same name as my kids. :lol:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
huntr1 said:
You shoulda! Middle name Steele?

I used to have a little mixed breed pekingese/American Eskimo named Remington (called him Remmy) Furry little dog with long white hair and a curly flag for a tail. Bugged out eyes and an undershot jaw that made his lower teeth stick out. He was so ugly that he was cute! :lmao:

Had to put him down when slowly progressing kidney failure made him aggressive toward the kids though. The vet said he was getting pretty weak. :frown: :bawl:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Congrats on your new kitty!

As a life-long cat owner, allow me to offer a bit of advice: If you DO think you may want another cat ever, now is the best time to add the second one. Kittens adjust much better to new cats (and with their littermate, there is almost no adjustment at all) than adult cats, who tend to become territorial and will often become very abrasive with a new kitten/cat in order to establish dominance.

Cats do very well in pairs, I've found, as it gives them a bit of company while the family is away at work/school and helps to keep them socialized.

I hope everything works out very well for your family and its newest addition!

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Club'nBabySeals said:
Congrats on your new kitty!

As a life-long cat owner, allow me to offer a bit of advice: If you DO think you may want another cat ever, now is the best time to add the second one. Kittens adjust much better to new cats (and with their littermate, there is almost no adjustment at all) than adult cats, who tend to become territorial and will often become very abrasive with a new kitten/cat in order to establish dominance.

Cats do very well in pairs, I've found, as it gives them a bit of company while the family is away at work/school and helps to keep them socialized.

I hope everything works out very well for your family and its newest addition!

:yeahthat: If he's been with his littermate this long, I think you should get her also. Otherwise he may pine for her and that can result in destructive behavior. Good luck.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I would be VERY careful and only introduce them for short periods of time with constant supervision. Key thing for the kitten is not to run from Milo. Jack Russells scare me with cats. They have such a strong hunt instinct. He may do fine but I'd be really, really cautious. In some dogs, the prey drive is really hard to overcome. I think the shelter is advising correctly for dealing with jealousy in adding a new pet but you should do some reading specifically relating to Jack Russells and their behavior with cats.

K

Kizzy

Pete said:
Nawwwwww say it aint so.

:shrug: I know it is so hard to believe, me of all people. :whistle:

Catt,

I agree and this may seem a bit over zealous to some people, but the DH is off Thursday and Friday. I am home Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so that there is 5-days, with somebody being home, to see how they adjust to each other. Even with that time, we have still been told not to trust the JR period with a kitten, once the cat is able to jump to high places and get away from the JR if need be, then and only then should they be left alone at home together, in the meantime, I have been told to keep them seperated. So far, Milo’s hunting in the back yard has gotten him frogs, a black snack, and tons and tons of bugs and worms. I have watched him just stare at the squirrels, but he has never tried to run and capture one. If he sees a bug, cricket or spider in the house look out, he is going to hunt it down and kill it. :nasty:

K

Kizzy

Uggg Snake Errrr :razz:

Milo has always been very sociable, he loves company, and he loves playing with other animals, like my dad’s pug and even this gigantic lab on my in-laws farm. What is sad is when he runs up to play with another animal and they growl at him, he always backs up and lays down on his back. A couple of weeks ago, the lab across the street ran over and nearly attacked Milo. Everyone ran out of the house screaming and the lady across the street ran over screaming. Milo rolled over on his back and peed on himself. :ohwell: Actually, it may have saved him. The lab looked at him like WTF, you're not going to run? The lab owners told us soon after we moved in that their lab tore after a small dog at their old house and the dog had to get several stitches. A lab, who would have ever thought a lab could be aggressive.

Since we have moved, he has been lonely. He tries so hard to leave with us in the morning and even bit the door a few weeks ago when I was shutting it. :ohwell: He is lonely during the day without my grandmother there now, but he has not been destructive. He leaves the occasional tootsie rolls on the bathroom floor during the day every now and then, but otherwise he has never been destructive. I hope that he does get along with this new addition; it would give him company during the day. Also, this cat is going to be as large as Milo. The vet has predicted that he could be 20 pounds. He is extremely stocky, large headed, so I hope the size of him will make him seem more like a pal than prey. We had thought about another dog, but of course, you have an entire set of issues to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of big cats, you should see Remington. He's the stray that I rescued from under our shed this summer. He was itty bitty (made CC's boobies look like DD {since she's the self proclaimed president of the IBTC}), now it looks like he swallowed a cantelope whole he is getting so fat. May have to figure out a way to put him on a diet.

K

Kizzy

The new kitten has been home since around about 1:30 this afternoon. The DH picked him up a little early and decided that introductions would be better if he was alone, without the kids around. It is going way better than any of us thought. The kitty did smack Milo across the face with his paw for sticking his nose up his arse and Milo yelped like crazy. The kitty seems to have no fear, none, and Milo backs off real quick with just a slight raise of the kitten’s paw, and he’ll yelp even when the kitty never made contact. :lol:

They are both very competitive for attention. The DH was eating a hot dog and the kitty walked straight over and got 2 inches from his face and watched him eat it. Right now, I have both of them curled up and sleeping next to me just a mere 5 inches from each other. None of us could hardly believe that the kitten walked right over to the bowl Milo was eating out of, sniffed his food and walked over to his water dish and got a drink. Milo stood there like WTF. :confused: But he wouldn’t dare stick his face in the kittens face in fear of the paw. :killingme

Last edited by a moderator: