Since we moved here, my cat...

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Has decided he is a beaver. He is chewing wood up around the house in several places (kitchen chairs and the molding at the top of the stairs).

WTH?!?!

I have tried many things to get him to quit, and he has slowed down a lot... but he is still trying to get to it. The best thing so far seems to leave him a cardboard box to play in and he will chew on that more for awhile.

Anyone seen this before? He never did this before we moved. Of course, in addition, he has become as much healthier cat overall. He has brawned up a bit and his coat seems a lot healthier. So, I doubt its any nervous thing from the move. Maybe just a new discovery?

Its very odd to see a cat trying to chew up wood.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have one cat that does that. Not sure why. I just yell at her and she sasses me and does it later. :lol:

Try a spray bottle with water. Bitter Apple is a product sold in most pet stores to keep animals from chewing wounds, etc. but would probably work. Also, cats do not like citrus smells (generally). Maybe some sort of citrus spray or polish.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
A little cayenne on the molding will teach him not to chew it.

How old is he? Kittens teeth just like puppies (and toddlers) and will often try to find an outlet for their agony just the same.

If he's older---maybe he's just wierd?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Thats how we slowed him down... spraying him with water, punishing, etc...

It seems to be something he needs to do though. Thats why we tried cardboard (and it seems to work somewhat). I wonder if its some sort of sensation thing he gets for his gums or something...

When we first got here, it was real bad. Maybe it started as a nervous thing from the move, but then he liked the sensation or something. He is a weird cat to start with (of course, aren't they all?).

He is about four years old now.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Also, I just irritated him. He used to sleep on top the large monitor I had for the computer. Well, my new desktop has a 20inch flat panel (no sleeping room). He now hops on the corner of the bed nearby to be close and do his watching.

It used to be pretty funny with him on top the monitor. Occasionally, he would notice the cursor and try to swat it from up top. Also, if anything graphically intense was on (such as video games, etc...), he would stick his head out far enough and just watch things run around the screen, etc... We had a little SIMs type thing for awhile called Catz for the kids. You raised your cats and they ran around and played on the screen. That would drive him crazy.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FromTexas said:
Catz for the kids. You raised your cats and they ran around and played on the screen. That would drive him crazy.
:yay: I loved that!!! We had more fun with that...and the dog version too.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
cattitude said:
:yay: I loved that!!! We had more fun with that...and the dog version too.

When we first got it, he would looked concerned and slightly hiss at the screen with all the mewing and activity going on. Then, he would just sit and watch (sometimes try to swat the stuff they were bouncing around). It was more entertaining to watch him then the Catz on the screen after awhile.

:lmao:

barncat

FromTexas said:
Has decided he is a beaver. He is chewing wood up around the house in several places (kitchen chairs and the molding at the top of the stairs).

WTH?!?!

I have tried many things to get him to quit, and he has slowed down a lot... but he is still trying to get to it. The best thing so far seems to leave him a cardboard box to play in and he will chew on that more for awhile.

Anyone seen this before? He never did this before we moved. Of course, in addition, he has become as much healthier cat overall. He has brawned up a bit and his coat seems a lot healthier. So, I doubt its any nervous thing from the move. Maybe just a new discovery?

Its very odd to see a cat trying to chew up wood.

Maybe something is missing from his diet. With the horses, they eat natural stuff like dirt and wood when they have important minerals missing from their diets (some eat wood for the heck of it, which might be the case with your cat). It might be a long shot but maybe try a daily vitamin with minerals.

J

jmo2276

From Texas you could try changing his/her catfood to something that is crunchy that might help (I have a carpet eating cat which is really not good as he likes to take chunks of it up) He mainly does it on the stairs when hes in a really playful mood and wants to bite he even does it to the couch along the bottom as the couches we have here have enough space for dust to get under them and he loves just running himself sideways along the bottom and biting on it. We have tried everything nothing seems to work with him except distractions of shaking the cat treats or one of my other cats walkin near him and then he gives up and plays his favorite game (chase).

Ponytail

Bitter Apple, as mentioned by another forumite works great!

Also, the spraying water in the cats face when you catch him chewing is another good method. The cat will associate the uncomfortable feeling of the water on his face with chewing, and eventually stop.

But I used the Bitter Apple when I had my ferret to get her to stop chewing the electrical cords in the house. I used the same thing when my dog was a pup to get her to quite chewing the cords too. I gave the bottle to my buddy for his cat, and it worked for him as well. It doesn't stain, doesn't smell, and doesn't leave a sticky residue. It just tastes horribly bitter for the animal.