2 cups ruby Port
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 large shallot, peeled, halved
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dried thyme

1 6-pound boneless prime rib beef roast
4 large garlic cloves, pressed

Fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 teaspoon thyme in large nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Cabernet mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour. Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 118°F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.

Pour off all fat from roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour jus into sauceboat. Garnish platter with parsley, if desired. Carve beef and serve, passing jus separately.

Pete

Repete
RoseRed said:
You're welcome and bon appetite! This recipe rocks! :drool:
I did a prime rib last weekend. I decided roasting was boring so I decided to steam it like Dems does ribeyes. :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Here's what I'm making for Christmas Eve dinner. It's from Marfa Stewart Living.

Crown Roast
Serves 12 to 18
Ask your butcher to remove the chine, feather bones, and any excess fat from the crown roast. You can have the butcher grind the trimmings, to reserve for another use.

1 eight-to-nine-pound crown roast of pork
Salt and freshly ground pepper
5 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Grated zest of 1 orange
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Wild Rice Dressing
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup fresh apple cider
1 cup Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 425° Position rack in lower third of the oven. Brush the roast with 4 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.

2. In small bowl, combine orange zest, garlic, rosemary, and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Spread mixture evenly over the meat, inside and out. Place meat in a heavy-duty roasting pan with a rack large enough to hold roast without crowding sides. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°. Continue roasting, rotating pan after 45 minutes, until meat is well browned and an instant-read thermometer registers 150°, about 1 1/2 hours. (Insert thermometer into meaty center of the crown, making sure that it does not touch any ribs. Take several readings to ensure that temperature is even all around.)

3. While crown roast is cooking, make the wild-rice dressing. Remove roast from oven, transfer to a cutting board with a well, and let stand 20 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 425°. Place dressing in oven, and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Pour the pan juices into a fat separator or glass measuring cup, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. If using a separator, carefully pour juice back into pan; discard fat. If using a measuring cup, carefully remove fat with a spoon, and return juices to pan. Place roasting pan on top of stove over medium-high heat. Add wine, and bring to a boil. Using a wooden spoon, stir up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Boil until half of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in apple cider and stock; season with salt and pepper, and return liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine butter with flour. Mix until completely combined. Transfer this mixture to the roasting pan. Whisk constantly until the gravy has slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and strain liquid into a gravy boat. serving the roast

4. Carefully lift roast out of pan, and place it on a serving platter; spoon the dressing into the center of the roast, and carve.

K

Kizzy

Can I get that already made and microwave it? :shrug:

Sounds like you are going to be busy BG.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Kizzy said:
Sounds like you are going to be busy BG.
You have no idea.... I invited 16 people over for lunch tomorrow. Tonight I'm making a MASSIVE pan of homemade lasagna to feed the crowd. And also make a beautiful salad and then decorate a 6-layer cake I baked yesterday. :yum:

BadGirl said:
You have no idea.... I invited 16 people over for lunch tomorrow. Tonight I'm making a MASSIVE pan of homemade lasagna to feed the crowd. And also make a beautiful salad and then decorate a 6-layer cake I baked yesterday. :yum:
:clap: I can't wait...:yum: Just so I don't get stuck with dish duty afterwards...:mad:

K

Kizzy

BadGirl said:

Sounds like you will be busy tomorrow too. :yikes:

Good luck. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
RoseRed said:
This recipe rocks! :drool:
Question: given my limited culinary skills (as Larry says, "Dee Jay means well." :lol:) is this a fairly easy recipe? It looks pretty straighforward.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Question: given my limited culinary skills (as Larry says, "Dee Jay means well." :lol:) is this a fairly easy recipe? It looks pretty straighforward.
Very easy. Be sure you have a meat thermometer and you are good to go!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
You better! I'll be waiting for a full report Missy! :lol:
I went and bought my roast today and delivered it to Mom's house where I will cook it. She was to shop for the rest. I told her 2 regular size bottles of Cab. She send me home with 1/2 of a large bottle of Cab. :duh:

:duh: for me too for not checking the bag. :lmao: