Voles!

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I've spent the past two summers nurturing a brand new lawn around my house. Now I have voles burrowing under the surface and need advice on getting rid of them. Tried the 'chewing gum' trick but they eat it and leave a thank you note. Afraid to start putting down poisoned corn (might sprout and leave me a maize patch in the yard) but am willing to try.

I've read about the sonic and supersonic "thumpers" that supposedly drive the little buggers away (ie., into the neighbors' yards) but they're pricy.

Don't care if the things die so am willing to try lethal (non-explosive) options.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Yes, traps are a common solution. But spraying for grubs and worms to control moles doesn't appear to be effective for voles. Voles, as field mice, eat the roots (you should see what they do to a stand of Hosta) and bulbs, which moles tend to avoid. I have heard that pouring household ammonia along their burrows will repel either moles or voles.

I'll probably resort to traps but I really dread putting up all those barriers (what happens if I end up trapping them INSIDE my yard and have to fight them claw and nail until either I kill 'em all off or I surrender?)

Have to make sure I repel them toward the neighbor's yard before I put down barriers along the fence. :whistle:

Thanks for the help, though. I'll keep the earlier thread in mind if the fauna in my yard changes to moles.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Lenny said:
Voles, as field mice, eat the roots (you should see what they do to a stand of Hosta) and bulbs, which moles tend to avoid.

I read that in your link. We're on the same page now. I guess I've never had a problem with voles, or moles for that matter. I've had a lot of hosta, glads and iris for about 10 years and they keep coming back bigger and thicker.

Good luck!