California 'Underdog' Riles Animal Rights Groups

K

Kizzy

California 'Underdog' Riles Animal Rights Groups
Tuesday, October 29, 2002

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — Animal lovers are howling over a skydiving Florida dog.

The parachuting Dachshund — known as Brutus the Skydiving Dog — is to perform at this weekend's Air and Space Show at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

"What we feel is this is cruelty to animals," said Shirley Cram, shelter director and treasurer for the Volunteers for Inter-valley Animals. "It's exploiting the dog. It certainly isn't fun for that dog to jump out of that plane."

Brutus' skydiving partner disagrees.

"He gets all excited when I'm getting my gear ready," said Ron Sirull of Delray Beach, Fla., contending Brutus enjoys his aerial activities. He added, "He's totally up for it."

Sirull said his dog's veterinarian has signed off the activity being safe for Brutus.

"There's always a misconception that Brutus jumps by himself," said Sirull, adding the dog is tucked into a special pouch affixed to his owner's chest.

Brutus also dons custom-made goggles for what Sirull calls his "fleafall." While Sirull has 1,000 jumps, Brutus has logged 100.

"That's equal to 700 jumps in dog years," said Sirull.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
The parachuting Dachshund — known as Brutus the Skydiving Dog —
:lmao: I wish there was a picture to go along with this.

Calling all PETAites...... :lol: