Curious about get togethers

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, I see my fellow somd.com forum users post get togthers all the time. What I haven't noticed (I could be wrong) is that it seems like its always the same people. What I want to know is does everyone invite the newbies or try to invite others, or is everyone pretty close the way they are? Just curious b/c it seems like its the same people all the time.

SxyPrincess

I think most invites are open invitation however, I'm sure there are some "private" invites only. I imagine it's a little difficult to invite someone into your home who you barely know. :cheers:

It just so happens that most of the regulars show up. I think mostly because we pretty much know each other, and are comfortable. We don't hate newbies, they just might be a little intimidated.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I wish some new people would come, and old people that post with us but just don't hang out with us. Most of us "regulars" are pretty good friends now and I guess have our own little "click" which may intimidate others but personally I would love to meet some of the newbies and some of the forum regulars. :cheers:

SmallTown

Football season!
Back in the day when we had BBSs instead of the internet, we would have get togethers and it was normally the same bunch. Every now and then a newbie would show, but normally it was because the newbie was introduced to the bbs by a friend who in turn was part of the get togethers already.

We would normally meet in a park and have a cookout, throw the frisbie, play volleyball or basketball (in the summer of course!). We had a couple people who were wannabe musicians so we would get some live music going..

You still had your little groups who hung out together for the most part, but normally it was fun.. Until the chain smoking computer geeks started showing up, with their greasy hair and lack of cleanliness. Started to become an emrassasement just to be seen around them, so we would quit having the big parties and have just smaller, invite only ones which turn out to be pretty good.

I really have no idea where this message is heading, just rambling on while I think back to those good ol days :smile:

tater

I'm pretty sure Christy's party was an open invitation that was posted right on here in the "this weekend" thread and there were actually a couple "non-regulars" that showed up and everybody had a good time. You should've came Jen. It's ok though, I'm sure there is another one right around the corner. It's getting to be a weekly thing seems like.cheers:

This is just me, but if you look at the number of total members on this whole forum, I would have a hard time doing an open invite. I think the ones who do are very nice and very brave. I just know that with my luck, if I was to do that, it would be a special occasion with all the planets lined up in a row or something and EVERYBODY would come. All 8000. :eek: :biggrin: :

watercolor

yeah yeah
Omm ok, well just to let you know. I know people who smoke and they are very well kept and are not greasy and such as you claim. Sure there are those who are butt heads and dont know how to shower, but none of us as far as I know, would be associated with someone like that.

And may I ask how many times you met these particular people? Cause did you ever think they may have been partying all night, or their hair looked like that because they just got done swiming, or that maybe they had gel in their hair, etc over etc?

Just to let you know, you can not base someone on how they type. I have met all the regulars, who btw jeneisen the party at Christy's this past weekend was an open invite. displayed for the whole world to see. So if you wanted to come all you had to do was show up. Sometimes there are private ones like Sxy said...but that is because sometimes us oldies (well somewhat) like to hang out with each other and gossip about the newbie.

JUST KIDDING

But as I was saying, I have met the "regualars" as you all call them. And they are awesome people. Yes of course, before I met them, I created a picture as most people would of course. But was I proove wrong. Sxy,Sharon,Bk,Catt,Otter,Christy,Pix,Kyle, etc are completly awesome. Otter was the first one I met, when we showed up at Catt & Otters party, (which btw was publicly annonuced also) and he gave me a hug and said hey WC...:smile: and from then on, met Sharon who gives the best hugs, and met John, and all the others. Got to know Pix and Bk at his place, which once again was a public one. So on and so on......

So again I say no matter if you make a mental picture in your head...."Dont judge a book by its cover" for that is what it is on here. Once you meet these people in actual flesh person, you will change your mind immediatly. They are awesome and would not change them for the world. AND may I add, newbies showed at the last party, Im4Change, Sleuth and Kain99 showed and they are all just as great. So in that, I will be back later...and all I can say to you SmallTown, is to use your head, and not let cluttered memories portray pictures for you. You dont even like southern md as it is. you have made a sterotype of it already... I think you are smarter than that to think of the other aspect...but I can be prooven wrong......

Last edited:
G

giggles04

I'll have to say, that there are a lot of you that I'd love to meet!!! Wanted to try to make it to Sharon's party... but my grandma was sick that week and died that day... and this past weekend I was busy! I just can't win. Hope one day I get to meet some of you

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by giggles04
I'll have to say, that there are a lot of you that I'd love to meet!!! Wanted to try to make it to Sharon's party... but my grandma was sick that week and died that day...
I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:

We'll put you at the top of the list for the next one. :wink: Can't wait to meet you too. :cheers:

G

giggles04

Originally posted by Sharon
I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:

We'll put you at the top of the list for the next one. :wink: Can't wait to meet you too. :cheers:

I'd definately make myself and the boyfriend availiable for it:smile: I know I haven't been on here much lately... but hard with my classes and stuff.

SmallTown

Football season!
water,
I was just speaking for my experiences I had in the past, nothing to reflect my opinion of the people here..

The greasy haired chain smkers who were not very clean were always like that. Mind you, this was over 10 years ago and the age group was more like 17-21.. Back when the whole grunge thing was mainstream. I wasn't saying all smokers are that way.. Just that was their whole image which was kinda nasty.

The pictures I saw were not scratch and sniff, so i'll take your word everyone was clean :biggrin:

I really haven't made any visual pictures of anyone here, so seeing the pictures wasn't really mindblowing or anything because they were not what I thought.

K

Kain99

I have to butt in here and say something... The crew here at SOMD is awesome! Smalltown you sound a little judgemental (you might want to work on that) The people here will accept you with open arms! All you have to do is return the favor. :smile:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99
I have to butt in here and say something... The crew here at SOMD is awesome! Smalltown you sound a little judgemental (you might want to work on that) The people here will accept you with open arms! All you have to do is return the favor. :smile:

Sometimes I read your posts and get this very puzzled look on my face.. Because it seems like your post come out of nowhere. Nowhere in this thread have I been judgemental. I just got caught up thinking about the past, it had NO reflection of the people here at all.

And anyways, it is good to be judgemental.. If we weren't, we might all be democrats.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SmallTown
And anyways, it is good to be judgemental.. If we weren't, we might all be democrats.

Uh huh, trying to get on her good side now huh? :duh:

J

justhangn

uhm, I dunno. Not sure what side is her good side.. Do you have a map? :smile:

But of course.

I know you're just kidding

:smile:

watercolor

yeah yeah

Sometimes I read your posts and get this very puzzled look on my face.. Because it seems like your post come out of nowhere. Nowhere in this thread have I been judgemental. I just got caught up thinking about the past, it had NO reflection of the people here at all.

She is speaking from all over.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Even when you call someone a "twit." :biggrin: :wink:

I deserved that one! Accepted even though I called sweet lil' Sxy a twit:blushing: