Computer Scan for "check engine" light

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Where (locally) can I go to get a computer scan done ... preferably today ... of my car's computer? The check engine light came on the other day, and I'm 99% sure it's one of those things where the manufacturer times it to go off at certain intervals to get you in the shop for routine maintenance or some crap like that. I just passed 28K miles, so everything is under warranty still ... just want to get this checked and cleared so the light will shut off.

TIA :cheers:

Moonchild

Auto Zone will do a free diagnostic on the check engine light. My 99 Chevy Check Engine Light will also come on if the gas cap is not on tight.

KCM

Right Where I Belong
Moonchild said:
Auto Zone will do a free diagnostic on the check engine light. My 99 Chevy Check Engine Light will also come on if the gas cap is not on tight.
:yeahthat: My jeep would do the same thing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
Where (locally) can I go to get a computer scan done ... preferably today ... of my car's computer? The check engine light came on the other day, and I'm 99% sure it's one of those things where the manufacturer times it to go off at certain intervals to get you in the shop for routine maintenance or some crap like that. I just passed 28K miles, so everything is under warranty still ... just want to get this checked and cleared so the light will shut off.

Before you spend the money, tighten your gas cap!! Seriously!!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
itsbob said:
My light was on all week, until I got gas and re-tightened my gas cap it's off now
I filled up this afternoon and went four or five clicks. I think it's just the scheduled maintenance thing. It seems to be running just fine w/no strange noises or anything. :shrug:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
crabcake said:

If you didn't get it checked already cc, advance auto will do it also.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
I filled up this afternoon and went four or five clicks. I think it's just the scheduled maintenance thing. It seems to be running just fine w/no strange noises or anything. :shrug:
aaaah, my easy solutions never work..

K

Kizzy

itsbob said:
aaaah, my easy solutions never work..

:lol: I am not suprised.

I just had something like this happen to me about a month ago. My check engine light came on and I had to pull out the construction :razz: manuel to my dayum truck. It was the same exact thing. If the gas cap isn't tight, it will cause the check engine light to come on. There was something in the book about it flashing, solid, or just a sporatic check engine light and since mine was solid, it said it had to do with either a wet fuel line or the gas cap not being on tight. A few clicks and never had another problem.

Now, with my luck, I'll go out to the store tomorrow with a check engine light on. :lmao:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
CC - What kind of car is it?

Since you said it's under warranty, chances are that you can drive into the dealer's service area, and have it scanned and cleared without making an appointment.

I'd rather have the dealer do it for me than some lot jockey at AutoZone with a Scanner. (For the same reason that I prefer to have a chef make my dinner, rather than the busboy...)

willie

It could still be the gas cap or some other silly crap. It takes a set number of engine cycles (not just start ups) to reset some of the codes like gas cap. Autozone is a good deal because even if you're under warranty, the dealer will charge you to read the codes if the fault is not warranty related. I've heard that $85 is the norm.

Last edited:

fttrsbeerwench

After checking the gas cap, go around and make sure you fluids are all good. Check for and dirt on the door sensors if you happen to have a minivan or suv. Make sure your wipers are ok. Mine came one when my wipers started to get old. The only code that showed up was the wiper motor( I guess it was stressed out)
I used to work at a garage and the most common thing I saw happen when the engine light came on was the O 2 sensor. It gets dirty or gets a piece of trash in it and needs to be replaced. I always tell people to have that checked first.

Moonchild

Hi all,

Moonchilds hubby here. Cakes, first step will be either Advance or A-zone. Willie is correct about them (dealerships) charging if the code is not warranty related. And given todays complex systems, there's no telling without a read. These suckers monitor a lot of stuff.

As far as the person at the parts joint vs a dealer tech, it's not rocket science, or a full engine rebuild. It's plug in, hit "Read codes", read display. There's no chance of anything going wrong and harming your vehicle. A-zone even gives you nice print out of the code, it's meaning, and most common causes.

You can check everything in the world first, but you've got a very sophisitcated diagnostic computer built into the vehicle, use it.

Now, if by chance it's a Dodge (and most related makes like Plymouth and Jeep, and Chrysler) you don't even need to visit anywhere. You can pull the codes using the ignotion key, this works for every Chrysler corp product since at least the mid-eighties to present. I'll amplify on that if needed.

What kind of vehicle is it, BTW?

fttrsbeerwench

Now mine is on......

I think that Ford is playing games with me. One day, my interior light won't go off. A week later, the door ajar signal won't stop dinging... :lmao:

willie

fttrsbeerwench said:
Now mine is on......

I think that Ford is playing games with me. One day, my interior light won't go off. A week later, the door ajar signal won't stop dinging... :lmao:
Door switch is bad. Twist it around a bit might clean up a bad ground and a shot of WD40 won't hurt. If that doesn't do it, they are cheap.