Questions for the Career-Oriented

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
1. If you could have the undivided attention of the best in your field, which questions would you ask of him or her?

2. How do you want the answers to assist you in your career goals?

Background: I'm working on establishing a mentor network for my own professional development. A career counselor has helped me identify a collection of outstanding performers in my field, who could be potential mentors around the country and in my industry. My next step is to begin contacting them, and these are the questions he suggested that I ask myself to prepare. So I'm curious how everyone else would answer these. Maybe I'll think of something I hadn't thought of already.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
So I'm curious how everyone else would answer these. Maybe I'll think of something I hadn't thought of already.
Do you really want my answer?

ocean733

:notworthy "What do you like/dislike about the profession that you've chosen?" "What type of personality is best suited for the profession?" "What would the expected starting salary be?" "Would there be a necessity for me to continue education? - and to what level?" (All of the questions that I didn't think to ask before I was a senior in college!)

suzeQ

Occasional User
"What important lessons did you learn from mistakes in the field?"

"What opportunities did you pass up that you wish you had taken advantage of?"

Daddy_O

Big Wheelin'
on your own figure out why that person is the best in the field, than ask the person what did they do to get there, whats steps were taken, classes, career decisions......

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
Ok…..lets see…

1. What made you choose this field?
2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
3. If given the chance, what would you change in your career development?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
All great questions :clap: :clap:

AC/DC's post was the lines I was thinking of... so there's a couple more here that I hadn't thought of.

What about the second question?

likitysplit

sleuth said:
All great questions :clap: :clap:

AC/DC's post was the lines I was thinking of... so there's a couple more here that I hadn't thought of.

What about the second question?

S,

What field........?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
likitysplit said:
S,

What field........?
Forecasting a possible career change in the near future...
I'm trying to set up some high-level network contacts in

Systems Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical Engineering, &
Civil Engineering

C

czygvtwkr

What would you consider the most important qualities of an un and coming ______ and do you think they can be learned or are natural ability?

I want to know who's arse they kissed to get where they are 'cause w/ certain management I know they are more quick to pat the back of the below average than acknowledge the over achievers. :shrug:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Talk to me of burn out in this profession.
Have you met all the goals and aspirations you held when you first entered this field?
What career sacrifices have you either made intentionally or have had imposed? Are you as enthustiastic as you were when first decided upon this career?