MOLES!!! I HATE THEM! I want to make them all into guacaMOOOLE... for my cat that is.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
How do i get rid of these little crappers!? They are tearing up my yard like crazy, probably eaten everything I planted last fall, and it isn't even spring yet! :(

Is anyone else having this problem?

(probably not, they probably all congregated into MY yard.)

John Z

if you will
Oh yeah, I have them too. Isn't this a little early in the season for moles? I am seeing lots of tunnels in the yard already, and all I can think of is to apply Grub-x again.

I've heard of using a product called Milky Spore, but I haven't tried that yet.

Pete

Repete
John Z said:
And yet you wish not to share your information with the proletariat.....
I am partial to the 3 pronged mole trap. I did the grub remover Grubex but it takes up to 2 weeks to kill them and the subterranean ba$tards were going berserk.

I went to the Hardware store and got a mole trap. Tamped down the tunnels and went back out to see which ones they re-opened first. Tamped them back down and set the trap.

Mole 1, Deceased between 12:15AM and 7:45AM, Cause of death: head shot 1 prong.

Mole 2, Deceased between 4PM and 4:35PM, Cause of death (primary) 20 oz Eastwing hammer strike to the melon. (Secondary) 2 prong torso shot.

Agee

sleuth said:
Is it too early to start planting grass-seed? :confused:
Should be good to go. Since we can still expect cool/cold weather here in St. Marys, the germination time for the grass seed will be extended. What you do not want is for the seed to germinate and then have it exposed to a hard frost/freeze.

Shakezula said:

The little bastages are making a tunnel system in my yard, that puts the "Big Dig" to shame.

Pete probably has the best approach, hunt em-down and whack-a-mole. :bonk: Also, as Pete stated, Grub-X can be effective, but takes a while. <!-- / message -->

mixallagist

Be careful what u wish 4
Shakezula said:
How do i get rid of these little crappers!? They are tearing up my yard like crazy, probably eaten everything I planted last fall, and it isn't even spring yet! :(

Someone told me that if you put juicyfruit gum in a feww of the holes they'll eat it and die because they can't digest it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Non Humane Society approved!

One of those little hamster water bottles with anti-freeze in it will make them all die. Make sure you cover the bottle (stuck down in the tunnel) with a bucket so your pets can't get at it.

morganj614

mixallagist said:
Someone told me that if you put juicyfruit gum in a feww of the holes they'll eat it and die because they can't digest it.

Yep, I heard 9 out of 10 moles prefer Juicy Fruit Gum

Last edited:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Our old neighbor used to swear that putting pinwheels in the holes kept them away, but then your yard looks retarded. :ohwell:

Mrs. Jones said:
Our old neighbor used to swear that putting pinwheels in the holes kept them away, but then your yard looks retarded. :ohwell:

You are acting like nomo isn't going to be reading this... how rude...:mad:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I didn't know how else to tell her. :shrug: They look like crap.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
Mrs. Jones said:
do pink flamingoes work too..?

hehe...

juicy fruit.... all i can think of is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

xusnret

I've heard all the following can be used in trying to rid yards of moles: moth balls,human urine and castor oil. The most entertaining I've seen was a 12 ga. shovel!. I can vouch for the prong trap Pete mentioned, effective and satisfying too. Requires a little practice in setting it up but once mastered very effective. My neighbor use to set out on his deck with a sixpack waiting for movement then blast away never did find out he got any of them but he sure had a well airiated lawn.

Pete

Repete
xusnret said:
I've heard all the following can be used in trying to rid yards of moles: moth balls,human urine and castor oil. The most entertaining I've seen was a 12 ga. shovel!. I can vouch for the prong trap Pete mentioned, effective and satisfying too. Requires a little practice in setting it up but once mastered very effective. My neighbor use to set out on his deck with a sixpack waiting for movement then blast away never did find out he got any of them but he sure had a well airiated lawn.
Just be sure to drive the prongs into the ground 3 or 4 times to make little pathways so when the varmint trips the trap the soil does not slow or impede the prong slamming down and peircing vital organs.

Moles are ugly. One I killed was black and about 7 inches long with huge flippers.

xusnret

All black ones, nice fur on them though. Wonder how many it would take to make anything from them. Nice long nails on their flippers doubt if they pick their noses much with those claws.

mejen

An amish farmer told me one day that they had tried everything and the only thing they found to work well was castor oil. I tried it...it does work. They go to someone elses yard, I guess humans aren't the only ones who thinks it tastes nasty.