Mountain Bike

Mikeinsmd

I'm going to buy one to ride along the C&O canal in the evenings. Any advice on what to get?? TIA!!

My sister hikes it just about every weekend... tho now lately she's always on the lookout for more human remains...:twitch:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
I'm going to buy one to ride along the C&O canal in the evenings. Any advice on what to get?? TIA!!

I used to take the C&O canal from various points from DC to WV - it's very nice and scenic and makes for excellent bike rides! You can even get off the beaten path for a picnic lunch too!! It makes for a very wonderful outting! :huggy:

Agee

M,
Trek (www.trekbikes.com) makes some durable, reliable bikes. If you do not plan on riding on rough terrain (rocks, jumping stumps, etc.) no need to spend alot of dough for a high-end bike. Make sure it has a comfortable seat, and the angle of your back to the handle bars isn't overly stressful.

Lots to choose from, just a matter of your wallet depth, and how you intend on using it. Try consumer reports for their reviews.

Mikeinsmd said:
You could always buy a cheap bike (i.e. like the WalMart one I have) to ride until you know if you are going to stay with it, or if you are like me, so you don't care if it gets stolen/rained on while chained up to the outside bike rack. You can always upgrade to a nicer one down the line (Trek and Cannondale make excellent bikes), and you can find nice ones in the paper quite often for a lot less than new $$.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
You could always buy a cheap bike (i.e. like the WalMart one I have) to ride until you know if you are going to stay with it, or if you are like me, so you don't care if it gets stolen/rained on while chained up to the outside bike rack. You can always upgrade to a nicer one down the line (Trek and Cannondale make excellent bikes), and you can find nice ones in the paper quite often for a lot less than new $$.

:yeahthat: I have a Mongoose (if I recall correctly) that I paid over $600.00 for it at a Bike shop and later bought all the neat gadgets and accessories -- including an odometer of sorts that averages your mph, your fastest speed, your average speed, your fastest speed ever, your overall average ever, your exercise time, etc... haligon headlights, the works... Sadly I havn't ridden it in about 8 years... :frown:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Mikes Bikes in Lex Park. Tell Mike where and how you want to ride, and he'll match you with the right bike. You truly get what you pay for in bikes. He's been doing business in this county forever. It'll be worth the extra $$ you spend over the "Mart" version.

Midnightrider

Oz said:
Mikes Bikes in Lex Park. Tell Mike where and how you want to ride, and he'll match you with the right bike. You truly get what you pay for in bikes. He's been doing business in this county forever. It'll be worth the extra $$ you spend over the "Mart" version.
got to agree on that one, if you are looking to use it for years to come, spend the money and get a decent bike.

Bike Dr in waldorf/annapolis carry the Trek and Cannondale starting out at around 350 for a comfort set up. This is probably about what you are looking for if the C&O is all you are going to be riding. if you plan more off road rides maybe go a little more to the mountain bike side

K

Katie

C&O is a nice ride to do on the bike. I am hoping to go up there this summer and do the whole thing. I have a off-road bike that I used to ride on the road, until I upgraded and got a road bike, which cost more then my first car did.

I paid about $300 for the bike that I ride on the light trails, and $600 on the bike I ride on mountain bike trails.

I am really into biking as you can tell.

D

dems4me

Katie said:
C&O is a nice ride to do on the bike. I am hoping to go up there this summer and do the whole thing. I have a off-road bike that I used to ride on the road, until I upgraded and got a road bike, which cost more then my first car did.

I paid about $300 for the bike that I ride on the light trails, and $600 on the bike I ride on mountain bike trails.

I am really into biking as you can tell.

:yeahthat: with bikes, it really is one of those... you get what you pay for deals. Maybe we can hook up sometime this summer and do the C&O cannal thing together... it's been years but it is one of the nicer trails around! :dance:

K

Katie

dems4me said:
:yeahthat: with bikes, it really is one of those... you get what you pay for deals. Maybe we can hook up sometime this summer and do the C&O cannal thing together... it's been years but it is one of the nicer trails around! :dance:

I can probably do that, just have to do it when P is home. He is not really into biking. Very supportive of me doing it, but not into it himself.

Bushy23

I agree, you get what you pay for. Now is a great time to get a good deal. Most places (I got mine at Bike Doctor) have 100 bucks or so off the 2004 models they are trying to get rid of. Anything from Trek or Specialized in the 200-400 range will be a great bike that will last a long time. Bike Doctor has free lifetime tuneups as well. Be sure to test ride and find the right size and features. Avoid the walmart junk, they will rust and squeek after a season.

K

Katie

Bushy23 said:
Bike Doctor has free lifetime tuneups as well.

Most bike shops have that option. Where I bought my roadbike, they always tune it up for me.