I'm shocked!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No, really - every time I touch something, I get a shock. I've tried keeping hand lotion on my hands, tried rubbing my hands to release static, I wear rubber soled shoes. I feel like that lady on the History Channel that has the electric bolts coming out of her hands.

I've now become one of Skinner's rats. I have an aversion to touching door knobs, closing my car door - anything that involves metal because I get zapped every time.

What causes this and is there anything I can do about it? I typically get mildly staticy in winter but this is the worst it's ever been.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
No, really - every time I touch something, I get a shock. I've tried keeping hand lotion on my hands, tried rubbing my hands to release static, I wear rubber soled shoes. I feel like that lady on the History Channel that has the electric bolts coming out of her hands.

I've now become one of Skinner's rats. I have an aversion to touching door knobs, closing my car door - anything that involves metal because I get zapped every time.

What causes this and is there anything I can do about it? I typically get mildly staticy in winter but this is the worst it's ever been.
I could tell ya, but I just got off my double secret probation.. :dance:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got out of my car at the C-store today and shocked the sh!t out of myself and a lady passing by actually heard it and was like, "Oh my God!!! Are you alright??"

Electra-woman :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
I could tell ya, but I just got off my double secret probation.. :dance:
Get over it. I'd have to look back over my notes to even remember what you did.

nomoney said:
there is this one file cabinet in my office that no matter what I do-it gets me every friggen gd time I go to open it.
It was rigged like that for a reason... that's the only way they can keep you out of the petty cash...:dur:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A lot of it has to do with the type of material used in the soles of your shoes. I know certain shoes I wear give me worse static shocks than others.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
nomoney said:
there is this one file cabinet in my office that no matter what I do-it gets me every friggen gd time I go to open it.
OMG! I get a napkin and use that to open the file drawers so I don't touch the handle.

Would a humidifier help, maybe? Like, if I put one at the house and in my office?

Mikeinsmd

Ok here's what you do. Hold a key or a coin or anything metal in your hand. Touch the key to the metal (or whatever) before touching it with your hand. The arc will occur between the key & whatever you're touching. It's caused by the dry air this time of yr. Try it, it works! No more shocks.

DoWhat said:
I really am serious.
For real, Vrai... Mythbusters proved that all it takes is the spark of static electricity to set off the vapors. You are supposed to touch the metal frame of your vehicle before you pump the gas and if you are the type to put it on auto pump... DO NOT get back in your vehicle and then get back out and touch the pump handle without touching the metal frame again first...:yikes:

Mikeinsmd

DoWhat said:
Happens to me too.
Everytime I get out of my truck.
Be careful pumping gas.
Do not get back into your vehicle after you start pumping gas. It has been proven that this creates more static electricity and will arc when you touch the pump handle. Once you're out of the car, stay out until the pumping is done & the nozzle is on the hook.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Mikeinsmd said:
Ok here's what you do. Hold a key or a coin or anything metal in your hand. Touch the key to the metal (or whatever) before touching it with your hand. The arc will occur between the key & whatever you're touching. It's caused by the dry air this time of yr. Try it, it works! No more shocks.
Was that the essay question on you electrical test that you had to pass? GEE, you so smart! :notworthy :notworthy

Mikeinsmd

FancyBelle said:
Was that the essay question on you electrical test that you had to pass? GEE, you so smart! :notworthy :notworthy
No it wasn't on the test, I was the the sibling born with the brains remember? :lmao: