Do cubicles actually cost an employer more?

Do cubicles actually cost an employer more?

• Yes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I love my cubicle! I pretend it's my fort against the savages I work with. :smile:

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

random_name

I absolutely hate working in a cubicle. I can hear everyone else's conversations, people are too loud, and it's hard to concentrate. I'd be willing to be that the loss in productivity costs an employer more than they save in not constructing enough space so everyone can have an office.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
random_name said:
I absolutely hate working in a cubicle. I can hear everyone else's conversations, people are too loud, and it's hard to concentrate. I'd be willing to be that the loss in productivity costs an employer more than they save in not constructing enough space so everyone can have an office.
Cubicles are easy to modify and provide flexibility in allocating space and as the personnell requirements change. Studs and drywall ain't cheap. Building permits ain't cheap. Cube wall are cheap by comparision.
Get a radio and a set of headphones if you don't enjoy evesdropping on the interactions around you. Decotate your space with a few pictures. posters or some plants to make it reflect your priorities.
Then quit whining and get back to work.

morganj614

I prefered having an office with a door, especially to keep psycho chick out. Now she is gone and the workplace is a much nicer place. I do have a radio and the only annoying 'thing' is the overdosing of mens cologne..Try a shower, dammit!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
random_name said:
I would rather HAVE a cubicle than sharing an office space with 5 - count 'em 5 - other people. Be grateful for what you have. :wink:

K

Kizzy

jazz lady said:
I would rather HAVE a cubicle than sharing an office space with 5 - count 'em 5 - other people. Be grateful for what you have. :wink:

I've heard of horrible work situations like that. I cannot imagine, that just is too contained.

K

Kizzy

aps45819 said:
I hate it when folks use so much it makes you eye's water.

:killingme I work with serveral alcoholics, trust me, they will dump a can of Glade on them before coming to see me. Like I fell off a watermellon truck and don't have a clue what they are trying to cover up. :duh:

morganj614

aps45819 said:
I hate it when folks use so much it makes you eye's water.

You'd think it would be the ladies, but it's the men here. My allergies and their stink get me to sneezin'. I swear there is one that does not know where his shower is. :dead:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
aps45819 said:
I hate it when folks use so much it makes your eyes water.
I had a lady living with me like that. I asked her time and again NOT to use so much, but she wouldn't listen. She also liked the crappiest perfume. :barf:

After she moved out, it took almost a month for the stench to leave, even AFTER scrubbing the bathroom and bedroom she used from top to bottom and using an air purifier running full blast. :twitch:

B

baswm

There are 18 cubes in my office area. I would much rather have a office.
As mentioned above. Cubes are less expensive then private office space and they are easier to redesign.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
But isn't it fun to fire some random rubberbands over the walls.

Another favorite is to tie a rubber bug to some fishing line. Position it so it hangs directly between a person's chair and computer. Use cut in half paperclips stuck in the drop ceiling to feed the line back to your cube and when your good friend comes in release the bug to drop in front of their face. Did this once and was amazed to learn that even with an artificail leg, my co-worker was able to leap about 10 feet.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
aps45819 said:
But isn't it fun to fire some random rubberbands over the walls.

Another favorite is to tie a rubber bug to some fishing line. Position it so it hangs directly between a person's chair and computer. Use cut in half paperclips stuck in the drop ceiling to feed the line back to your cube and when your good friend comes in release the bug to drop in front of their face. Did this once and was amazed to learn that even with an artificail leg, my co-worker was able to leap about 10 feet.

We had the best time in my old cube farm. We all had "slam bugs" which are little stuffed bugs that says phrases like "oh you bug me" or "go bug someone else" when they land after you throw them. We had ambush silly string attacks. One girl we soaked a piece of paper in the deer pee you get for hunting and put it in her trach can. She complained for hours about something stinking before we gave in. Oh those were the days....