Taking Down a Tree

SamSpade

Ok, I have a large maple in my back yard. I'm debating whether or not to cut it down (with the help of a few friends), cut it up and stack the wood somewhere - or just pay someone to take it away.

There's some small chance it could hit the house on the way down - and it's a lot of work. But if it could be removed inexpensively by someone else, I think I'd go for that instead.

So what does anyone know about this? Cut it down, or pay someone?

Well, there is added benefit in hiring someone to come take it down with a dozer or loader... you will get rid of the roots and all. If you simply cut it down you will always have the stump.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
SamSpade said:
Ok, I have a large maple in my back yard. I'm debating whether or not to cut it down (with the help of a few friends), cut it up and stack the wood somewhere - or just pay someone to take it away.

There's some small chance it could hit the house on the way down - and it's a lot of work. But if it could be removed inexpensively by someone else, I think I'd go for that instead.

with a risk of it hitting your home, I say hire someone. If your in st.mary's I know several guys that work in that field.

Vince

kwillia said:
Well, there is added benefit in hiring someone to come take it down with a dozer or loader... you will get rid of the roots and all. If you simply cut it down you will always have the stump.
:yeahthat: Cleared my other lot years ago. Laid 15 pine trees down one Sunday morning. Took me 6 months to cut them up and haul them away by myself. Then had to hire someone to grind the stumps. You could take it down yourself and have someone come and grind the stump down. They usually chase the roots that are on top of the ground and grind them also. Hint: Save yourself alot of work and hire the whole job.

marianne

SamSpade said:
Costs? Has anyone done this?

DH used to be an arhborist and his idea of fun is taking down trees. Puts a nail in the ground where he believes the tree tip will fall and the tree tip hits the nail every time. He does not like taking down trees for friends though due to liability. If you do hire someone, you'd want them to be bonded/insured in case they do hit the house - make sure they actually have the insurance and are not just saying they do. That insurance is going to drive the price up. Many people cut the tree exactly opposite of how it should be cut and it ends up hitting exactly what they don't want to hit. If you decide not to hire someone, I can tell you how DH gets the tree to fall where he wants it.

Last edited:

Vince

marianne said:
DH used to be an arhborist and his idea of fun is taking down trees. Puts a nail in the ground where he believes the tree tip will fall and the tree tip hits the nail every time. He does not like taking down trees for friends though due to liability. If you do hire someone, you'd want them to be bonded/insured in case they do hit the house - make sure they actually have the insurance and are not just saying they do. That insurance is going to drive the price up. Many people cut the tree exactly opposite of how it should be cut and it ends up hitting exactly what they don't want to hit. If you decide not to hire someone, I can tell you how he gets the tree to fall exactly where he wants it.
:yeahthat: Sounds like she knows what she's talkin about especially the licensed and bonded part.

SamSpade

My original thought was to take it down the way I once took down a barn - attach a rope or cable to a spike in the ground, winch it good and tight, start cutting and winch up the slack until the direction is pretty obvious.

I'd rather not, though, and at least one of my friends is against ever being near a working chainsaw.

I've taken down holly trees at my old house in Lusby. They were no problem, as the trunk was never more than 6-8 inches thick. This is a *TREE* - taller than the house, too big to reach around with both arms - you'd need at least two people for that.

Guess I'll start calling whomever I can.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:

I can make a tree fall EXACTLY where ya want with just a little bit of C4, if you can find the C4, I'm your man!! And your preference, do you want the tree attached or detached form the stump!? :getdown: :killingme

marianne

SamSpade said:
My original thought was to take it down the way I once took down a barn - attach a rope or cable to a spike in the ground, winch it good and tight, start cutting and winch up the slack until the direction is pretty obvious.

I *DEFINITELY* think you should hire someone.

If you really really want to do it yourself, Google how to fell a tree with a notch cut. Here's one link that explains it.
http://forestry.about.com/od/chainsaws/ss/fell_tree_4.htm
Be careful of how the tree may be leaning. When you cut it, basically notch the tree where you want it to fall. *Over* that notch, on the opposite side of the tree, cut a downward diagonal line with the chainsaw. Be careful with the cuts though - you don't want them more than halfway through the trunk or you'll have a serious problem and you need to be sure the diagonal line is kept higher than the notch. You may need two people and use a rope to take the tree down at the end if it hasn't fallen or if it's leaning heavily in a different direction.

Elle

Happy Camper!
SamSpade said:
I've taken down holly trees at my old house in Lusby. They were no problem, as the trunk was never more than 6-8 inches thick. This is a *TREE* - taller than the house, too big to reach around with both arms - you'd need at least two people for that.

Can it be just dropped or do you need someone to climb it and section it?