Camera shutter speed

willie

Anyone have a good digital camera around 5 mpixels that has negligible shutter button release delay? Taking action shots with my Nikon 995 is impossible. The 995 is old technology but are the newer camera's any better? If I snap a picture at the time a 12 year old pitches a ball, sometimes the shutter does not respond until after the ball arrives at home plate. Anyone do successful action shots with their digitals?

KoolStuf

TRy the Nikon D-70 it is a lot faster on the delay problem. Price is starting to come down on these.
The Nikon D2h has come down under 2 grand for the back, but still does not compare to the Nikon D2x. This camera blows everything out of the water! But be prepared for very large files.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Hey Willie, did you ever find a suitable camera?

I'm in the market for a new digital and would like one that isn't as slow as my current one with the shutter speed.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
PM Rack'm. He just got a Minolta digital that takes wonderful pictures (based on what I saw of his posting them). He posted one he took going down the road about 50 mph that turned out awesome. :yay::yay:

willie

Christy said:
Hey Willie, did you ever find a suitable camera?

I'm in the market for a new digital and would like one that isn't as slow as my current one with the shutter speed.
You know what they say...when all else fails, read the directions. It's problem was all in automatic mode. When it was put in manual mode and shutter priority, it worked OK at 1/125 shutter speed. 1/60th was much better but the subjects couldn't be moving too fast. My research on it said that almost all of the newer cameras handle the action shots with ease. The Nikon D50 sure looks good and a couple of the digital forums said it would make my Nikon look like junk.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
My Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 is 4meg with a 10x optical zoom and under $300. The sutter is MUCH faster than the Nikon I had. Went to the dragstrip and I kept trying to lead the cars like I had to with the Nikon.

Attachments

• Bikers for Babies 013.jpg
    Bikers for Babies 013.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Bikers for Babies 012.jpg
    Bikers for Babies 012.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147

willie

Christy said:
Wowsers! :yikes: It's pricey. Looks nice though. :yay:
Go here:

http://www.epinions.com/Digital_Cameras

You can sort on all kinds of stuff...price, zoom, manufacturer, etc. When you see one that looks OK, check out the customer opinions. That's where you'll get the good info on each camera and not the wild BS the salesman will throw at you. This site also rates the businesses that are offering the cameras.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Once I realized I could point at what I wanted to shoot, I started getting good pictures

Attachments

• Bikers for Babies 019.jpg
    Bikers for Babies 019.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 135

Christy

b*tch rocket
aps45819 said:
My Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 is 4meg with a 10x optical zoom and under $300. The sutter is MUCH faster than the Nikon I had. Went to the dragstrip and I kept trying to lead the cars like I had to with the Nikon.
Thanks! :yay: That's more up my alley. I like that it has decent optical zoom.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
the delay between when you press the button and when the camera takes the picture depends on how long the camera takes to run it's focus program. The newer cameras have better programs and faster chips.

willie

aps45819 said:
the delay between when you press the button and when the camera takes the picture depends on how long the camera takes to run it's focus program. The newer cameras have better programs and faster chips.

This is why the Nikon 995 worked OK in manual mode as it manually had the decisions made before the shutter button was pushed. The newer cameras are as fast in auto mode. Even the local shops like Ritz are having some good sales going on now. Good luck.

Jameo

What?!
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR 8-MP :yay: You can set it on Manual - adjust the shutter speed to like 4000 and hold the button down or snap 'em as fast as you wanna.

This pic was taking with auto mode.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Jameo said:
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT SLR 8-MP :yay: You can set it on Manual - adjust the shutter speed to like 4000 and hold the button down or snap 'em as fast as you wanna.

SH-60's are fun. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The problem with most digitals is not the shutter speed but the focus speed. With the SLRs you're doing the focusing prior to hitting the shutter release, but you're talking in the $1000 price range and you're back to the big bulky cameras. Most folks don't want to spend the time to learn how to use a SLR and that's why the point-and-shoot cameras became popular.

rack'm

Jaded
Jameo said:

It's about time you got that thang out. :smack:

Jameo

What?!
rack'm said:
It's about time you got that thang out. :smack:

It took me and HS TWO HOURS to figure out how to take pictures of outside christmas lights saturday! :dork: :killingme I'll have to post some of the pictures tonight.

Last edited: