National Importance

Please select the items below that are NOT of national importance.

• Affairs of State (International Policy)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A murder

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • The Environment

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • The War on Terror

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Congressional (Legitimate Law-Making) Issues

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • A kidnapping (real or staged)

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • A skydiver dying

Votes: 27 87.1%
  • A Motor Vehicle accident

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Weather or Seismological Events

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Controlling National Borders

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
What issues should matter the most to the country? Please note that I did the opposite of what I intended when I made my selections (You should select items that are NOT of National Importance).

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While I have to admit I was glued to the TV during Hurricane Ivan, I said that the ones that are NOT important are the ones that only affect a certain segment of our population - murders, kidnappings and other sensational stories that have nothing to do with us. Extreme weather, especially in foreign countries. That sort of thing.

morganj614

I have not voted yet. Some of the news that comes across is because the news day is slow in matters of national importance. It seems more like entertainment just to fill air time, such as celebrity dating. Is Tom Cruise dating Katie Holmes national news? Are you mad at the news media Railroad?
Do you need a little time to rant?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
morganj614 said:
I have not voted yet. Some of the news that comes across is because the news day is slow in matters of national importance. It seems more like entertainment just to fill air time, such as celebrity dating. Is Tom Cruise dating Katie Holmes national news? Are you mad at the news media Railroad?
Do you need a little time to rant?
:lmao: Not mad at them.....just tired of them putting every little thing under their microscopes, like the runaway bride story, when at the same time (for example) North Korea is happily firing a missile into the South China Sea. I'm gonna add some lyrics to the long time, no hear thread - the lyrics to "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Railroad said:
just tired of them putting every little thing under their microscopes, like the runaway bride story, when at the same time (for example) North Korea is happily firing a missile into the South China Sea.
If you had one news channel devoted to NK and its missiles, vs. another channel devoted to the runaway bride, which do you think would get the most viewers?

It's all about the ratings.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
If you had one news channel devoted to NK and its missiles, vs. another channel devoted to the runaway bride, which do you think would get the most viewers?

It's all about the ratings.
I know it. See the lyrics I posted in "Long Time, No Hear?" Sad but true.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
It seems that few people realize our local, county politics affects your daily life far more than these national issues. I think we'd be better off if more people paid attention to what your local county commissioners, and school board are doing than worrying about OJ, Scott Peterson or a car chase on the freeway in California.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oz said:
I think we'd be better off if more people paid attention to what your local county commissioners, and school board are doing than worrying about OJ, Scott Peterson or a car chase on the freeway in California.
Agreed. Now let's compare the ratings of the Commissioner meetings (don't they still show those on the local access?) versus....well, pretty much anything. :ohwell: