Grooming my Benji dog

D

Dixie

My parents have a long-haired (really long-haired) mutt that followed me home one day, no one claimed, and they kept. He looks just like Benji and has a really sunny disposition. Anyhow long story short, Benji's pretty well cared for, but they're not big on grooming him. I'm in charge of him while they're on vacation and I'm going to take him somewhere (suggestions welcomed) and get his hair cut. In the meantime, does anyone have any magic for his various knots/tangles other than cutting them out. Should he be bathed before he gets clipped? Anybody out there know what's normally charged? Thanks

K

Kizzy

That reminds me, I need to get my pussy shaved. Fricken hairy thing.

D

Dixie

appyday said:
:howdy: I love to shave pussys let me do it..

Hey Dixie..he is not this bad is he? WOWSERS

Good Lord. No, he's more tangled/matted toward the back. It's hard to explain. His hair is too long, sorta has an overgrown look to it and a real fine texture. It's also really thin and my concern is that if he's shaved that it won't grow back. Are there any products on the market specifically for dogs with tangled coats? I was considering deep conditioning people products but the knots are bad and stupid as this sounds, I don't know if there are safety issues regarding people products on animals. I don't think I'd use his shampoo on me, unless I get fleas and ticks this summer, so I'm unsure of the effects of my products on him.

D

Dixie

appyday said:
You can use people products..so what you are saying is you want him combed out and not clipped. Can you post a pic? I use a cherry leave on conditioner for tangles there are many many items out there for this..good old elbow grease and torturing the dog is the best way to comb out knots..I personally like the easy on me easy on the dog method of stripping them...as I did above...

He needs a trim. He probably really needs to be shaved, but he'd look pathetic and I'm not sure if his fur would grow back. Benj was a stray and somewhere along the line I think he might have been sick, maybe mange or something, because his coat is so thin in spots. When I took him in, one of the first things I did was bathe him and he really stunk when he was wet. He still does to a degree, I can't imagine what causes it. I'm going to try deep leave on conditioner tonight. I just want him to look pretty before I take him in for a haircut. I don't have access to a picture at the moment they're on my folks computer. Thanks for the info.

dustin

UAIOE
Can't the place that does the doggy haircut do a shampoo too?

Just pay someone else to do it this time and then you can keep it up yourself from now on