Chihuahua gives birth to litter of ten

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Little Lucky hits puppy jackpot

November 21, 2002 — It's not unusual at times for big dogs to have big litters. We hear about that all time. But when very little dogs have very big litters that can make news. That's what happened to a Chihuahua named Lucky who lives in Cicero. Lucky hit the puppy jackpot.

Outside the small Cicero home the signs are everywhere. You'd think that inside you might meet a Doberman-- but not quite. This is the home of little Lucky and, now-- since last week-- a huge pile of pups. Yes, Lucky was really pregnant.

"She looked like a turkey," said Edie Paese, Lucky's owner. "She gave to three and then maybe a half hour later she gave to three more. And then another one and then at one o'clock in the morning she gave birth to three more."

Edie Paese says this might be some sort of dog world record. A pure bred Chihuahua having ten puppies. Rocky is Lucky's boyfriend and the father. He, also, was shocked by the whole thing.

"He was howling, screaming, crying. Yelling around, jumping around he went nuts," said Vito Paese, owner, about Rocky. He says every time a puppy was born Rocky "went crazy."

Of course he did-- that's a lot of mouths to feed. Ten mouths and not that many feeding stations.

"She has eight. So what I do is I switch. I put five there, take five off. Feed them with a bottle and then take the others off and feed them with a bottle," said Edie.

Now, naturally you're wondering, "How unusual is this? Ten puppies for a Chihuahua?" Well, little Lucky's vet is Dr. George Koshy of the Stresser Animal Hospital. Dr. Koshy says he's never seen anything like it, especially for a first time mom.

"Three, four, five. That's all. Maximum five. But ten is rare ... Wow, it's wonderful."

Edie Paese says she wants to keep them all and all of them, by the way, are doing just fine.

Pics here