Citizen's Band

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I have a CB in each of the cars so I can be a little more aware of road conditions, traffic problems, etc.

A couple of years ago I bought a short CB antenna to put on top of my PT Cruiser, because the one I had was too long to go in the garage without hitting the garage door and overhead lights.

I never could get the new shortie to tune up, and in disgust I left it in place, but stopped worrying about it.

With this road trip in the offing, I decided to tune the antenna.

Nothing I could do, shortening or lengthening the aerial, making sure the loading coil was good, etc., would get this thing close to a decent VSWR reading.

As a last resort, I took a length of coat hanger wire and installed it in the antenna. Within 15 minutes of adjustments, I had the VSWR down to a shade over 2:1. I'd had some concerns about using ferrous material and inserting it into the core of the coil, but after I cut myself a piece of copper to similar length, I proved to myself that steel wasn't an issue.

I took the ball off the end of the aerial supplied with the antenna, super-glued it to the coat hanger wire, sprayed the thing black, and installed it. It has performed well all the way down here (South Carolina from MD).

:biggrin:

Ponytail

:yay: Ya sometimes gotta experiment with them. I've had CB's in every vehicle except for this last one. But yea, all except for the fiberglass whip on my jeep, were a PITA to tune.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Ponytail said:
:yay: Ya sometimes gotta experiment with them. I've had CB's in every vehicle except for this last one. But yea, all except for the fiberglass whip on my jeep, were a PITA to tune.
I believe it! I have a fiberglass whip on my Miata (it's a short whip, magnet-mounted to the trunk lid). It was MUCH easier to tune, and yields VSWR readings close to 1:1. I have another loading coil-style antenna that's longer than the shortie I wrote about, and it was indeed more difficult to tune than the whip, although it also yields good VSWR (don't recall exactly, but I believe it was less than 2:1).

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Hey RR there is a cb shop in SOMD. do a search for nonameamps I used to have my truck set up with 2 time machine coiled ant.that stood 14' 8" from ground to top of ant. JC Whitney has saome small ant. not sure how good they work. The best Mag mount I have found is a wilson 1000. I know they make a lil wil, which is about 3 or 4 feet tall total.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Magnum said:
Hey RR there is a cb shop in SOMD. do a search for nonameamps I used to have my truck set up with 2 time machine coiled ant.that stood 14' 8" from ground to top of ant. JC Whitney has saome small ant. not sure how good they work. The best Mag mount I have found is a wilson 1000. I know they make a lil wil, which is about 3 or 4 feet tall total.
He's back!! :smoochy: We've missed you youngblood!

Magnum

Should be Huntin
bresamil said:
He's back!! :smoochy: We've missed you youngblood!
Hello... Not back all the way. Still out here in the field. They gave me a laptop with wireless internet so I can work anywhere anytime... Oh the joy. Still too busy out here to play on the computer all day like before. Well got to run.