Repowering boat motors.

E

Ernie

My boat has twin 350's. The motors has 650 hours roughly. One motor is low on compression and the other is so-so. Was wondering if there was a good machine shop that could do the rebuilds near by or am I better off buying two long blocks for 1300 + 150 shipping to Maryland. If money was no object, I would just put in two new 350 motors.

mrweb

Iron City
Ernie said:
My boat has twin 350's. The motors has 650 hours roughly. One motor is low on compression and the other is so-so. Was wondering if there was a good machine shop that could do the rebuilds near by or am I better off buying two long blocks for 1300 + 150 shipping to Maryland. If money was no object, I would just put in two new 350 motors.

Try Drum Point Marine. Ask for Gary, the owner. (410) 326-3256

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Ernie said:

This time of year, buy the long blocks and swap engines yourself. Just make sure you buy a ~marine~ engine. A car engine won't last 10 hours in a boat.

fishinfool

Among other things
I just had a rebuilt 350 longblock put in my boat. After talking to mechanics they all wanted to know if I had fresh or saltwater cooling and how old the engines were before making a decision on whether to rebuild or replace. If saltwater cooled, the blocks may be about to go if there are several years use on them. Mine was 20 years old and saltwater cooled so they suggested replacing instead of rebuilding.