Mildew remover for boat

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Can someone recommend a cleaning product to remove mildew (or whatever the black spots are on the seats) on a boat? I scrubbed the hell out of the seats last week before we went out but it didn't get rid of it all. I wanna tackle this today because we're gonna go out again tomorrow. I'd rather not use bleach b/c then I'll be smelling chlorine every time I smoke, eat, breathe, etc.

TIA. :yay:

crabcake

I tried the aerosol spray foam stuff for bathroom tiles thinking that'd do the trick, but it didn't. :ohwell: Maybe I'll give that stuff a try. I'm just concerned about damaging the seat material with various chemicals. :ohwell:

Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:

crabcake

Vince said:
Simple Green.
I didn't try that, but I did try "Grease Lightening" (which the dude at Lowes said was better than Simple Green. No dice. :shrug:

S

Shutterbug

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That worked on the seats on our boat.

crabcake

Shutterbug said:
:yay: I'll take one of those out with us this morning. We ended up going and looking at a couple houses yesterday so I didn't get to pick up the Tilex stuff.

Mikeinsmd

Go to a boating supply place & get a small bottle of something called "On & Off". This stuff removes stains from fiberglass. Be careful! It's VERY strong! Try a small amount in an inconspicous place 1st. Wear rubber gloves when handling it and avoid breathing the vapors.

kingvjack

crabcake said:
Can someone recommend a cleaning product to remove mildew (or whatever the black spots are on the seats) on a boat? I scrubbed the hell out of the seats last week before we went out but it didn't get rid of it all. I wanna tackle this today because we're gonna go out again tomorrow. I'd rather not use bleach b/c then I'll be smelling chlorine every time I smoke, eat, breathe, etc.

Any kitchen Tile cleaner will work...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:

little gasoline...

and a match!!

K

Kizzy

kingvjack said:
Any kitchen Tile cleaner will work...

*ahem* I think she means really set in mildew and I've eaten up my hands trying all the expensive products and I have found NOTHING that works as well as a 50/50 mix of bleach and water.

Mikeinsmd said:
Go to a boating supply place & get a small bottle of something called "On & Off". This stuff removes stains from fiberglass. Be careful! It's VERY strong! Try a small amount in an inconspicous place 1st. Wear rubber gloves when handling it and avoid breathing the vapors.

I wonder if this would be good for camper tops?

I got on top of our RV and power washed the roof. I used bleach in a spray bottle, sprayed on and power washed off. 2 1/2 hours later it is fairly clean, but it could be cleaner.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Kizzy said:
*ahem* I think she means really set in mildew and I've eaten up my hands trying all the expensive products and I have found NOTHING that works as well as a 50/50 mix of bleach and water.

I wonder if this would be good for camper tops?

I got on top of our RV and power washed the roof. I used bleach in a spray bottle, sprayed on and power washed off. 2 1/2 hours later it is fairly clean, but it could be cleaner.
get some 'black streak' remover from a rv place (or boat supply store maybe)

Mikeinsmd

Kizzy said:
I wonder if this would be good for camper tops? I got on top of our RV and power washed the roof. I used bleach in a spray bottle, sprayed on and power washed off. 2 1/2 hours later it is fairly clean, but it could be cleaner.
For this you can use good ole oven cleaner!! :yay: Works great. On & Off will work too. Be careful if it's painted. Test it first.

CC might try oven cleaner on that mildew too but I'm sure the On & Off will do it. It's an acid.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Mikeinsmd said:
For this you can use good ole oven cleaner!! :yay: Works great. On & Off will work too. Be careful if it's painted. Test it first.

CC might try oven cleaner on that mildew too but I'm sure the On & Off will do it. It's an acid.
:jet: :nono:
I would NOT try that stuff on it. If it's the 'typical' rv roof it is rubber coated or painted metal. It'll eat it up bigtime..............

Mikeinsmd

Suz' said:
:jet: :nono: I would NOT try that stuff on it. If it's the 'typical' rv roof it is rubber coated or painted metal. It'll eat it up bigtime..............
If it's rubber coated, I agree but painted metal, maybe not. I use oven cleaner on my truck, that's right my truck to remove the bugs on the front & tar/road scum behind the wheels. Don't leave it on nearly as long as you would cleaning an oven, say maybe 5 minutes max. Works great & doesn't harm the paint. ALWAYS test a small area first!!!

The On & Off is another story. It is acid based & is VERY powerful. Again, ALWAYS test first!!. :yay:

S

scupper trout

Shutterbug said:

Those work really well..as does just plain old bleach and hot water.