Buying a used bike....what to look for?

cholo

¡Tengo una tarjeta verde!
I'm finally going to do something I've wanted to do for a long time - buy a motorcycle. I've only ridden a few times, so I want to get a used one to practice, instead of plunking down thousands of bucks on a new one and wrecking it.

I've found a few that I'm seriously considering buying, but they are rather old and I have no idea how to tell if they are in good condition - other than the obvious scratches, dings, and leaks. Can anyone give me a few things to look for?

kingvjack

cholo said:
I'm finally going to do something I've wanted to do for a long time - buy a motorcycle. I've only ridden a few times, so I want to get a used one to practice, instead of plunking down thousands of bucks on a new one and wrecking it.

I've found a few that I'm seriously considering buying, but they are rather old and I have no idea how to tell if they are in good condition - other than the obvious scratches, dings, and leaks. Can anyone give me a few things to look for?
Year and make versus miles.
If its a 2002 or so and has 100,000 miles on it. It's been rode the hell out of.

Get with freinds who ride and ask if they know someone selling a bike. Never buy a bike from a stranger, You dont know how they rode it. If youve never ridden or rode just a couple of times, Dont get anything too big or powerful. Get like a 600(crotchrocket) or the 750 or 883 (cruiser) once you get a little better, go buy the busa and haul ass.

cholo

kingvjack said:
Year and make versus miles.
If its a 2002 or so and has 100,000 miles on it. It's been rode the hell out of.

Get with freinds who ride and ask if they know someone selling a bike. Never buy a bike from a stranger, You dont know how they rode it.
Good idea on asking friends...I'll do just that. The few that I'm looking at now are strangers of course (sorry, Mom). The bikes are mostly '80s models, so they are quite old and have a lot of miles on them. They are also relatively inexpensive, so if they last me more than a year I won't be too pissed if they die on me after that.

kingvjack said:
If youve never ridden or rode just a couple of times, Dont get anything too big or powerful. Get like a 600(crotchrocket) or the 750 or 883 (cruiser) once you get a little better, go buy the busa and haul ass.
That's exactly what I plan to do....get something small to get some experience before I head out to West Coast Choppers (like I could afford that).

kingvjack

cholo said:
Good idea on asking friends...I'll do just that. The few that I'm looking at now are strangers of course (sorry, Mom). The bikes are mostly '80s models, so they are quite old and have a lot of miles on them. They are also relatively inexpensive, so if they last me more than a year I won't be too pissed if they die on me after that.

That's exactly what I plan to do....get something small to get some experience before I head out to West Coast Choppers (like I could afford that).
Another thing that I wish I had done...
When your done with your old bike dont get rid of it.
Keep it around for trying tricks and stuff out on later. :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Before buying one locate a shop that does inspections and pay the inspection fee to get it checked out first. If the seller won't let you do that, don't buy from them.

hollywoman

If you haven't ridden in some time, the Motorcycle Safety Course is good to take, I'm sure the local base has classes or the community college, plus you can get a discount on your motorcycle ins. policy if you have the class.

Vince

hollywoman said:
If you haven't ridden in some time, the Motorcycle Safety Course is good to take, I'm sure the local base has classes or the community college, plus you can get a discount on your motorcycle ins. policy if you have the class.
:yeahthat: Maryland MVA has two great courses. One that gets you your license and the other for advanced. For the beginnner course, for your license, they even provide the motorcycle. I think it's a three or four day course. I think you can sign up through College of Southern Md.

Last edited:

cholo

hollywoman said:
Thanks...I've been looking into that. Since I didn't sign up when they opened registration in February, I have to wait until August or hope someone drops out.

cholo

kingvjack said:
Another thing that I wish I had done...
When your done with your old bike dont get rid of it.
Keep it around for trying tricks and stuff out on later. :yay:
Hmmm....there is this really cool canyon nearby...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cholo said:
Hmmm....there is this really cool canyon nearby...
BMW sells a perfect learner bike, and you can find a lot of them used. A lot of people do the same thing, buy it to learn on, keep it for a year 18 months, then trade up to what they really want. It's a 650 single cylinder, and it's a blast to ride. Look up the F650, bunch of different models to chose from.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
cholo said:
I want to get a used one to practice, instead of plunking down thousands of bucks on a new one and wrecking it.

Since you intend to wreck it, maybe you should consider a boat instead.

:confused:

Ponytail

A good beginner bike that is powerful enough to not get boring, comfortable and tons around to find good deals on, is the Suzuki SV650. That bike is an absolute blast to ride, trouble free. I helped two of my friends get SV650's and they were both extremely happy with them.

I HIGHLY recommend taking the Motorcycle safety course first. If you don't want to wait till August try a different state. Most states offer it, and the programs are all governed by the AMA and MSF. Either way, get signed up for it. August will be here soon enough, and there is still plenty of riding season left after that.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

cholo

Oz said:
Since you intend to wreck it, maybe you should consider a boat instead.

:confused:
Or an M-1 tank.

I don't intend to wreck it, but I'm sure if I just go out and buy a brand new Fatboy I would probably run into something or lay it down before I put 5 miles on it. As I said before, I've only ridden a few times and that was about 15 years ago.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cholo said:
I don't intend to wreck it, but I'm sure if I just go out and buy a brand new Fatboy I would probably run into something or lay it down before I put 5 miles on it. As I said before, I've only ridden a few times and that was about 15 years ago.
Guy I know got a new Honda VTX 1300 and hit a curb when he had about 40 miles on the bike. :lol:
Sprained his ankle and bruised his ego.

Ponytail

aps45819 said:
Guy I know got a new Honda VTX 1300 and hit a curb when he had about 40 miles on the bike. :lol:
Sprained his ankle and bruised his ego.

Buddy of mine rapped himself and his brand new Heritage Softail around a stop sign at a Highway on ramp, on his way home from the dealership with his brand new, very first motorcycle. :lmao: He didn't even put 5 miles on it.

Was going around the ramp to the right, looked over his left shoulder for oncoming traffic, turned right into the curb, hooked the peg and WAM! Into the stop sign. Did about $1000 to his new ride. I think his pride is still scarred. :lol:

Vince

Ponytail said:
Buddy of mine rapped himself and his brand new Heritage Softail around a stop sign at a Highway on ramp, on his way home from the dealership with his brand new, very first motorcycle. :lmao:

Was going around the ramp to the right, looked over his left shoulder for oncoming traffic, turned right into the curb, hooked the peg and WAM! Into the stop sign. Did about $1000 to his new ride. I think his pride is still scarred. :lol:
I think I'll stick with my old bike and remain accident free. Sure as sh!t, I get a new one and I'll hit my house with it or something equally as stupid.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Vince said:
I think I'll stick with my old bike and remain accident free. Sure as sh!t, I get a new one and I'll hit my house with it or something equally as stupid.
:confused: Thought your old bike wasn't on the road.