Refrigerator - Bottom mount type

SeaRide

What are the pros and cons for having a bottom mount refrigerator?

I know some people call it "bottom freezer". I saw a few new ones in the store where there's icemaker in the bottom freezer and thought it might be a hassle to bend down for few ice cubes.

Anyone?

TIA

Last edited:
Think about it, what part of the appliance do you access on a regular basis? The fridge. Why not put it at the most comfortable access height possible, i.e., on top. I would love to have a fridge of this design. My great uncle had one back in the 70's-80's, and it was much more convenient than the "regular" style.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I love the bottom freezer. Now, if the refrigerator I have will just break down already. :rolleyes:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I have one. Kenmore.
A lot better than a side by side, more room for the larger items.
Try putting a frozen pizza in a side by side.
Ice maker is on the top shelf in the freezer, works great.

SamSpade

SeaRide said:

I know some people call it "bottom freezer". I saw a few new ones in the store where there's icemaker in the bottom freezer and thought it might be a hassle to bend down for few ice cubes.

Anyone?

TIA
That's what we have - with the ice maker down there. Truth is, I don't get ice all that often, and the tray it dumps into isn't that hard to get things from. About the ONLY time I'm not crazy about it is when I need something from the back - requiring me to get on my knees. But it's SO much better having the upper part of the fridge - which I use the most - available without bending down all the time.

HOWEVER -

Given the choice, I'd pick a wide, side by side, with a deep door shelf.

janey83

Twenty Something
:shrug: I don't mind having the fridge part on the bottom, heck I'm short so it's my height!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
About the ONLY time I'm not crazy about it is when I need something from the back - requiring me to get on my knees.
We have the one with pull out drawer door.

SeaRide

Thanks for the replies. If things goes well with the purchase of the house, I will doublecheck the measurement for the refrigerator space in the kitchen.

My finace think that most bottom freezer/bottom mount refrigerator are always wider than the top mount refrigerator. I think I found a few that has the similar spec size just like most top mount refrigerator.

In the new home kitchen, it has stainless steel side by side refrigerator that looks kinda big. The SS refrigerator now sits in the kitchen against the wall instead of the space between the pantry and the countertop.
To my surprise, C ( my finace) didn't like the stainless steel look and the side by side design also. C and I will talk more once we get the house.

Time will tell. eheh.

Last edited:

Bud

Fire!
DoWhat said:
We have the one with pull out drawer door.

That's the one that makes the most sense to me, because the cold air won't spill out of the drawer when you open it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Bud said:
That's the one that makes the most sense to me, because the cold air won't spill out of the drawer when you open it.
:yay: That is what the salesman told us too, he sold us.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
My Grandmother has always had fridges with the freezer on the bottom. Her ice bin swings out to get the cubes.

PJay

SeaRide said:

Anyone?

TIA

Having one these type delivered to new place on Friday. A double door one, pull out on the bottom. Really looking forward in having. No more Side by side type for me, unless the area to have one would be big enough to hold a huge one. Thinking really going to like this type though. I have played with the model a lot at the Sears store.

Last edited: