Cord Blood Bank

ceo_pte

Has anyone participated in any of these? My wife and I were going to, but the information that we got on the public bank was a little disturbing and we chose not to. I think we will do a private bank with the next child.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
We donated our first baby's cord blood and banked the second baby's. These were both private banks, and we had no complaints with either company. I've never heard of public banks for cord blood.

ceo_pte

Tonio said:
We donated our first baby's cord blood and banked the second baby's. These were both private banks, and we had no complaints with either company. I've never heard of public banks for cord blood.

TYVM...
We were led to the public bank with the following information. That you can donate the stem cells and they would be banked for use by anyone. However, we were told that for the most part, you are probably the only one that will ever be able to use them.

But then we got the packet and read it over. Turns out, you pretty much give up all rights to the stem cells when you donate them. They state that they may sell them to another person or that they may use them for research. That's the part that got me. I don't have a problem with simply using them for research, but it would be a little disturbing to find out 10 years from now that they are using them to clone other embryos, etc.... I don't know alot about the science that is out there, but I definitely don't want some scientist creating children. Especially with our cord blood. They didn't describe research, so we didn't know exactly what was meant by research.

Which private bank did you use?

ceo_pte

workin hard said:
I have no knowledge of this subject so why would you want to donate this?

My understanding! Stem cells are the basic cells that make-up the human body. They can use them for research and possibly implimentation into other people to help cure diseases that are genetic based. Because they come from the placenta they are pure and free of all the junk and problems that we develop over time. This may be right or totally wrong. But supposedly you can bank them, based on the way technology is expanding in this area, and use them 10 years from now to help if you identify some type of genetic problem with one of your children.

We banked our first born with ViaCord. No complaints at all!

My mother was diagnosed with CLL two years ago and when we found out we were pregnant again we considered doing it for the 2nd born as well. It turns out that our first borns cells might not be compatible with our newest addition.

So .. to make sure that each child had their own .. not to mention that my mother may benefit form either of the cord blood bankings ... we went ahead and banked our 2nd son's blood as well.

We used ViaCord as well .. considering the discounts.

ceo_pte

CableChick said:
We banked our first born with ViaCord. No complaints at all!

My mother was diagnosed with CLL two years ago and when we found out we were pregnant again we considered doing it for the 2nd born as well. It turns out that our first borns cells might not be compatible with our newest addition.

So .. to make sure that each child had their own .. not to mention that my mother may benefit form either of the cord blood bankings ... we went ahead and banked our 2nd son's blood as well.

We used ViaCord as well .. considering the discounts.

Thanks for the information. We too were considering the possible benefits to our parents.

ceo_pte said:
My understanding! Stem cells are the basic cells that make-up the human body. They can use them for research and possibly implimentation into other people to help cure diseases that are genetic based. Because they come from the placenta they are pure and free of all the junk and problems that we develop over time. This may be right or totally wrong. But supposedly you can bank them, based on the way technology is expanding in this area, and use them 10 years from now to help if you identify some type of genetic problem with one of your children.

Why Cord Blood is the Premier Source of Stem Cells

cord_match2.jpg

Umbilical cord blood stem cells are controversy-free and offer several advantages over other types of stem cells.

While a baby’s own stem cells are a perfect match,there is up to a 75% probability that they may also provide a suitable match for siblings.While many people have heard of stem cells, very few understand that there are different types of stem cells:

Adult Stem Cells Adult stem cells are obtained from bone marrow and require invasive surgery. Also, finding a matching donor for a bone marrow transplant can be difficult and sometimes impossible.

Embryonic Stem Cells A highly controversial process that is often in the news and at the heart of many moral debates. Please do not confuse umbilical cord blood stem cells with this.

Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cells Umbilical cord blood offers a perfectly natural, controversy-free method of acquiring stem cells. (Even the Pope approves of cord blood banking.) Cord blood offers several advantages over other methods. It’s collected in a safe, 5-minute procedure after a baby is born and is painless for both mother and baby. Also, cord blood transplants have a significantly lower rate of graft vs. host disease than bone marrow transplants. Plus, cord blood stem cells are a perfect match for the baby and can potentially be used to treat siblings and other family members as well.

ceo_pte

RED: Cord Blood Bank 06-15-2005 03:32 PM wine & Cheese
RED: Cord Blood Bank 06-15-2005 02:51 PM
RED: Cord Blood Bank 06-15-2005 02:48 PM
RED: Cord Blood Bank 06-15-2005 02:46 PM hypocrite

This isn't too nice! Who's got the Karma tracker?

Thank you for the information, Cablechick and Tonio!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
CableChick said:
Embryonic Stem Cells -- A highly controversial process that is often in the news and at the heart of many moral debates. Please do not confuse umbilical cord blood stem cells with this.
A while back I told a few people about banking the cord blood. One person with strong religious beliefs didn't know the difference, and acted as though I was Dr. Mengele until they did some reading on the subject.