collapsible crab traps versus crap pots

D

dems4me

I've been reading the rule book several times and it says that a recreational licensed crabber can set up to 10 collapsible traps but not more than 30, however they can have 30 traps.... and about 1500 ft. trotline, nothing about crab pots... then they mention the commercial crabber can have X amount of trotline but no where does it say anything about folks having crab pots other than the "traps" have to be no bigger than 1 square foot on the bottom. Are licensed crabbers (recreational) allowed to use crab pots?? I don't see any mention one way or the other :shrug:

D

dems4me

dems4me said:
I've been reading the rule book several times and it says that a recreational licensed crabber can set up to 10 collapsible traps but not more than 30, however they can have 30 traps.... and about 1500 ft. trotline, nothing about crab pots... then they mention the commercial crabber can have X amount of trotline but no where does it say anything about folks having crab pots other than the "traps" have to be no bigger than 1 square foot on the bottom. Are licensed crabbers (recreational) allowed to use crab pots?? I don't see any mention one way or the other :shrug:

anyone?? :frown: :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY

* 2 crab pots from a private propoerty or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
* Two cull rings required in upper chamber

- One measuring at least 2 3/16"
- One measuring at least 2 5/16"

* Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1¾" x 4¾"

dems4me said:
My understanding is that only shoreline property owners and commercial crabbers can use the big square crab pots.

My buddy and I use the collapsable ones. Last year we used the ring traps. They beat trot lines hands down. This year my buddy bought a number of the metal 1' square traps which have the sides that lay flat on the bottom until you pull the trap up and they then form walls around the trap. He hasn't used them much yet, but no complaints on their opperation so far.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
My understanding is that only shoreline property owners and commercial crabbers can use the big square crab pots.

My buddy and I use the collapsable ones. Last year we used the ring traps. They beat trot lines hands down. This year my buddy bought a number of the metal 1' square traps which have the sides that lay flat on the bottom until you pull the trap up and they then form walls around the trap. He hasn't used them much yet, but no complaints on their opperation so far.

I've tried the collapsable one's but they seemed to go off prematurely when folks run by with a huge wake or if the current is strong while dropping them... BF just said he looked it up and they said we can use up to 15 crab pots.... and from reading KK's post he said 100 foot from the shoreline... does that mean anyone can do that from the shoreline? Ar eyou allowed to leave these out overnight, so long as they are off and to the side, not in the channel or near it and marked with a buoy?

dems4me said:
I've tried the collapsable one's but they seemed to go off prematurely when folks run by with a huge wake or if the current is strong while dropping them...
We have never had a problem with premature trap activation. Maybe you don't have a long enough rope on your trap. We use 8" sections of pool noodle w/ a 10" piece of pvc pipe thru the middle as floats for the traps. As far as having a problem with the current, maybe you need to add more weight to the trap so it sinks faster.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
We have never had a problem with premature trap activation. Maybe you don't have a long enough rope on your trap. We use 8" sections of pool noodle w/ a 10" piece of pvc pipe thru the middle as floats for the traps. As far as having a problem with the current, maybe you need to add more weight to the trap so it sinks faster.

I set them up according to the directions on the wrapper... no PVC involved :shrug: :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
and from reading KK's post he said 100 foot from the shoreline... does that mean anyone can do that from the shoreline.
Read the post Dems, it says OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY and it says within 100 yards, not feet. So no, not just anyone can use them, you must own the property within the 100 yard range from shore to use them and then only two pots can be used.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
Read the post Dems, it says OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY and it says within 100 yards, not feet. So no, not just anyone can use them, you must own the property within the 100 yard range from shore to use them and then only two pots can be used.

But it doesn't say anywhere that a recreational crabber CAN'T use pots :shrug: :frown: You just quoted the rules for someone that has a private peir... I don't have a private pier :frown:

Next... :shake: :shake: :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnightrider

dems4me said:
But it doesn't say anywhere that a recreational crabber CAN'T use pots :shrug: :frown: You just quoted the rules for someone that has a private peir... I don't have a private pier :frown:

Next... :shake: :shake: :shake:

Notice that only a shoreline land owner may use crab pots, all others (not commercial) are restricted to use only collaspable traps.

INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
11 to 30 traps or rings
Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
10 or fewer traps and rings
dipnets
handlines
No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
2 crab pots from a private propoerty or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
Two cull rings required in upper chamber
One measuring at least 2 3/16"
One measuring at least 2 5/16"
Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1¾" x 4¾"
CRABBING FROM A BOAT
A recreational crabbing boat may be licensed
The fee for a Recreational Crabbing Boat License is $15
The owner of the licensed recreational crabbing boat is also issued a complementary statewide Individual Recreational Crabbing License
The Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat Sport Fishing License (fee of $40) is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License.

D

dems4me

Midnightrider said:
Notice that only a shoreline land owner may use crab pots, all others (not commercial) are restricted to use only collaspable traps.

INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
11 to 30 traps or rings
Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
10 or fewer traps and rings
dipnets
handlines
No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
2 crab pots from a private propoerty or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
Two cull rings required in upper chamber
One measuring at least 2 3/16"
One measuring at least 2 5/16"
Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1¾" x 4¾"
CRABBING FROM A BOAT
A recreational crabbing boat may be licensed
The fee for a Recreational Crabbing Boat License is $15
The owner of the licensed recreational crabbing boat is also issued a complementary statewide Individual Recreational Crabbing License
The Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat Sport Fishing License (fee of $40) is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License.

I just thought they mentinoed that because a person with a peir woudl more likely just throw a pot down and let it sit and walk away from it... the rules don't state that it would be unlawful to use a pot though :shrug: thanks! Using the not mentioned analogy... it doesn't say anything about pier owners being able to use a trap... there's no mention of traps for those that have a peir... doesn't thereby mean its illegal for them to use a crab trap :shrug:

Midnightrider

dems4me said:
I just thought they mentinoed that because a person with a peir woudl more likely just throw a pot down and let it sit and walk away from it... the rules don't state that it would be unlawful to use a pot though :shrug: thanks! Using the not mentioned analogy... it doesn't say anything about pier owners being able to use a trap... there's no mention of traps for those that have a peir... doesn't thereby mean its illegal for them to use a crab trap :shrug:

:confused:

heres a link, maybe it will be clearer for you.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/2004recreationalcrabsummary.html

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Midnightrider said:

sorry, let me try again, I was talking to someone at the same time... :lol:

I just thought they mentioned that because a person with a pier would more likely just throw a pot down and let it sit and walk away from it... the rules don't state that it would be unlawful to use a pot though if you are a recreational crabber or on a boat. Using the "not-mentioned" analogy... it doesn't say anything about pier owners being able to use a trap... there's no mention of traps for those that have a pier... doesn't thereby mean its illegal for them to use a crab trap.

Basically just because it's not mentioned does not exclude the person from lawfully using a different crabbing method. :shrug: That's how I interpreted it... it says nothnig about how many handlines you can use on your pier, or how many traps you can use on your pier... doesn't mean its unlawful :shrug:

:shake: :shake: :shake: Next!!!! :shake: :shake: :shake:

Midnightrider

dems4me said:
sorry, let me try again, I was talking to someone at the same time... :lol:

I just thought they mentioned that because a person with a pier would more likely just throw a pot down and let it sit and walk away from it... the rules don't state that it would be unlawful to use a pot though thanks! Using the not mentioned analogy... it doesn't say anything about pier owners being able to use a trap... there's no mention of traps for those that have a pier... doesn't thereby mean its illegal for them to use a crab trap.

Basically just because it's not mentioned does not exclude the person from lawfully using a different crabbing method. :shrug: That's how I interpreted it... it says nothnig about how many handlines you can use on your pier, or how many traps you can use on your pier... doesn't mean its unlawful :shrug:

Thats one way to look at it, but i think it says using an unlawful technique will get you a $500 fine.

There is a number at the bottom of the page I linked to in my edit.

Have fun and catch 'em up

D

dems4me

Midnightrider said:
Thats one way to look at it, but i think it says using an unlawful technique will get you a $500 fine.

There is a number at the bottom of the page I linked to in my edit.

Have fun and catch 'em up

thanks... :shake: :shake: :shake: :lol:

Since there seems to be some confusion on the topic of recreational crabbers using crab pots, I have emailed the question to MD DNR. I will post their response when I get it.

D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
Since there seems to be some confusion on the topic of recreational crabbers using crab pots, I have emailed the question to MD DNR. I will post their response when I get it.

Your awesome!!! Thanks!!!! Did you ask if you can leave them out overnight? Thanks again!!! :huggy: