Black Plastic

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm looking for extra huge sheets of black plastic to place on my driveway in order to kill weeds. My driveway is vastly overgrown and I saw on HGTV that laying black plastic down to bake the weeds in the summer heat for a month or so will kill anything underneath it.

My driveway is large so I need some big sheets.
Anyone know where I can get it at a reasonable price?

K

Kizzy

Lowes

When I retire in 6 years 8 months and 231 days, I am going to work at Lowes and mix paint. :cheers:

Kizzy said:
Lowes

When I retire in 6 years 8 months and 231 days, I am going to work at Lowes and mix paint. :cheers:

:lol: Can I come help? I'll be the one that dries the color on the tops to show the customer the color matches and that you mixed it right!! :smile:

K

Kizzy

CableChick said:
:lol: Can I come help? I'll be the one that dries the color on the tops to show the customer the color matches and that you mixed it right!! :smile:

Sure, and everyone will come along to buy our discounted paint eff ups. :lmao:

Actually, I bought some of that discounted paint eff ups for the den and I totally love the color. I figure with kids, they will screw it up anyway and 2 years from now when I have to paint again, I'm only out $5.00. :yay:

Kizzy said:
Sure, and everyone will come along to buy our discounted paint eff ups. :lmao:

Actually, I bought some of that discounted paint eff ups for the den and I totally love the color. I figure with kids, they will screw it up anyway and 2 years from now when I have to paint again, I'm only out $5.00. :yay:
$5.00??? Why can't I be lucky enough to find something I like that's cheap??

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I'm looking for extra huge sheets of black plastic to place on my driveway in order to kill weeds. My driveway is vastly overgrown and I saw on HGTV that laying black plastic down to bake the weeds in the summer heat for a month or so will kill anything underneath it.

Good grief Sleuth, that's a lotta work. :nono: Just buy some weed killer and a gallon sprayer (mix it up) and it'll knock those weeds down in less than 24 hours, but it'll only take you the time to spray them, say 10-15 minutes?

No matter what you do they'll grow back sooner or later, it just depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Go with the spray. :yay: I edge my driveway and flower boxes every year so I don't have to bring out the weed whacker.

K

Kizzy

CableChick said:
$5.00??? Why can't I be lucky enough to find something I like that's cheap??

True Value :yay:

I love that place. It reminds me of my grandfather's hardware store back home in Beaver Falls.

They have mess up paints in the back of the store and discounted for $5.00, but you have to be painting an area that only need 1 gallon. Great for bathrooms, small dens.

K

Kizzy

Bogart said:
You can probably get a goat for free from someone. Goats eat stuff, right?

A goat :yikes:

Don't think his neighbors would like that too much. :lol:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Sharon said:
Good grief Sleuth, that's a lotta work. :nono: Just buy some weed killer and a gallon sprayer (mix it up) and it'll knock those weeds down in less than 24 hours, but it'll only take you the time to spray them, say 10-15 minutes?

No matter what you do they'll grow back sooner or later, it just depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Go with the spray. :yay: I edge my driveway and flower boxes every year so I don't have to bring out the weed whacker.

I bought some weed killer in the spring and sprayed one area.. It took about a half hour to spray a 10' x 10' area and I used half of a $30 bottle of spray. And the weeds shook it off and grew back within 2 months.

That's just not financially viable, not timely, and it didn't even work.

The portion of my driveway that is overgrown is over 50 feet by 30 feet.... I saw someone else do this once and the heat killed not only every weed growing, but any seeds that grew too. He didn't have to worry about a thing for another 3 or 4 years after that.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
I bought some weed killer in the spring and sprayed one area.. It took about a half hour to spray a 10' x 10' area and I used half of a $30 bottle of spray.

Too bad...my weeds/grasses faint in fear when they see me coming with the sprayer. Maybe that's why it doesn't cost me as much or take as long...I have 'em trained to die! :roflmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Don't laugh, but black plastic really works. I've used it to "de-weed" small and large garden areas. You till your garden to "activate" the weed seeds, lay down the black plastic, and let the sun cook anything that tries to grow underneath it. You can also use it to kill grass in unwanted areas.

I've gotten rolls of black plastic from Lowe's. If it's not wide enough, just overlap and weight down the overlap with landscape timbers or something similar.

Triggerfish

sleuth said:
I bought some weed killer in the spring and sprayed one area.. It took about a half hour to spray a 10' x 10' area and I used half of a $30 bottle of spray. And the weeds shook it off and grew back within 2 .

Some weed killers just kill the vegetation that is currently growing(regular roundup). Others are supposed to keep the ground bare for years.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
sleuth said:
I bought some weed killer in the spring and sprayed one area.. It took about a half hour to spray a 10' x 10' area and I used half of a $30 bottle of spray. And the weeds shook it off and grew back within 2 months.

I bought some of that "Season Long" weed killer that was on TV this spring. Save your money! It took forever to kill the weeds, and then once everything turned brown, they started growing back even thicker than before!

As for the black stuff that covers your driveway, it's called asphalt!

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Triggerfish said:
Some weed killers just kill the vegetation that is currently growing(regular roundup). Others are supposed to keep the ground bare for years.
Bleach works too, and so does salt. We mix bleach with roundup and it keeps them gone all summer

fishinfool

Among other things
jazz lady said:
Don't laugh, but black plastic really works. I've used it to "de-weed" small and large garden areas. You till your garden to "activate" the weed seeds, lay down the black plastic, and let the sun cook anything that tries to grow underneath it. You can also use it to kill grass in unwanted areas.

I've gotten rolls of black plastic from Lowe's. If it's not wide enough, just overlap and weight down the overlap with landscape timbers or something similar.

My pool cover did a great job on a big piece of my yard this spring when I uncovered the pool and let it lay too long before putting it away. :lmao:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
Did you do the driveway yet, or are you going to wait until the neighbors website needs to be updated?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
sleuth said:

Any farm supply store.. farmers, especially strawberry and tomato, like to use the plastic for the same reason WEED control, and it keeps the ground warm and moist for the plants they DO want to grow!.. you can get HUGE rolls of it..

Used to use the same in my garden and had INCREDIBLE results.. Tomato plants so tall (at least a foot taller then me) that they fell over and grew across the ground..

Cucumbers the size of my arm (that still tasted good)..

But still no luck with watermelon.. always wanted to grow wtermelon and never had any luck!!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Any farm supply store.. farmers, especially strawberry and tomato, like to use the plastic for the same reason WEED control, and it keeps the ground warm and moist for the plants they DO want to grow!.. you can get HUGE rolls of it..

Used to use the same in my garden and had INCREDIBLE results.. Tomato plants so tall (at least a foot taller then me) that they fell over and grew across the ground..

Cucumbers the size of my arm (that still tasted good)..
You can get it at Southern States. They now have a red plastic just for tomatoes. If you thought they grew well with black plastic, they grow phenomenally with red. :yay:

But still no luck with watermelon.. always wanted to grow watermelon and never had any luck!!
Did you plant them in hills? I had great success with this method. I also mulched with newspapers. It kept the soil moist underneath while keeping the watermelons off the ground so they wouldn't rot.