Procedure for pulling a tooth

BuddyLee

Football addict
I haven't been to the dentist in years and I suppose it's about time considering the nerves in the left side of my head are throbbing unbelievably. Get this freakin' tooth out!:bawl: Can anyone tell me the procedure for pulling a tooth out besides the obvious 'they pull it out'. The tooth itself is down to nothing and I was told that they might have to cut into my gums to get it out.:yikes: Explain the procedure and how I might feel afterwards.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
In a case of extreme tooth decay, the tasks are to:

(1) Analyze the extent of collateral damage, i.e., how much has the bacterium or the infection spread into surrounding tissue (such as the bone)? This is typically done via X-ray and direct inspection.
(2) Clean the area
(3) Anesthetize the area. This is typically accomplished with a number of injections of local anesthesia in and around the site of the tooth.
(4) Excise the tooth. This can include removing roots individually if the crown structure of the tooth has been compromised.
(5) Excise any other affected tissue.
(6) Control bleeding as necessary. This can involve packing the site in acute cases.

Steps 4 and/or 5 may entail gaining access to the substructure via incision(s) made in the soft tissue ("gum"). The doctor makes every effort to make the procedure as non-invasive as possible, so any incision made is judged to be an absolute necessity before opting to use that approach.

Post-procedural symptoms can include aching sensations at the site, but frequently (very often) very little discomfort is experienced after the anesthesia has worn off, usually for not more than 48 hours. Ibuprofen is an excellent anti-inflammatory drug that will hasten the healing process.

The fact that you're experiencing discomfort right now indicates inflammation of the nerve associated with that tooth, and it may be necessary to also disable the nerve. This can result in residual discomfort at the site after the procedure, usually for not more than 48 hours.

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :lmao:

Just kidding! I had a little training in things medical many years ago.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Railroad said:
In a case of extreme tooth decay, the tasks are to:

(1) Analyze the extent of collateral damage, i.e., how much has the bacterium or the infection spread into surrounding tissue (such as the bone)? This is typically done via X-ray and direct inspection.
(2) Clean the area
(3) Anesthetize the area. This is typically accomplished with a number of injections of local anesthesia in and around the site of the tooth.
(4) Excise the tooth. This can include removing roots individually if the upper structure of the tooth has been compromised.
(5) Excise any other affected tissue.
(6) Control bleeding as necessary. This can involve packing the site in acute cases.

Post-procedural symptoms can include aching sensations at the site, but frequently (very often) very little discomfort is experienced after the anesthesia has worn off, usually for not more than 48 hours. Ibuprofen is an excellent anti-inflammatory drug that will hasten the healing process.

The fact that you're experiencing discomfort right now indicates inflammation of the nerve associated with that tooth, and it may be necessary to also disable the nerve. This can result in residual discomfort at the site after the procedure, usually for not more than 48 hours.

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :lmao:

Just kidding! I had a little training in things medical many years ago.
Thanks RR, I just hope they knock me out and that I don't get a dry socket afterwards.:twitch:

Toxick

Splat
BuddyLee said:
I haven't been to the dentist in years and I suppose it's about time considering the nerves in the left side of my head are throbbing unbelievably. Get this freakin' tooth out!:bawl: Can anyone tell me the procedure for pulling a tooth out besides the obvious 'they pull it out'. The tooth itself is down to nothing and I was told that they might have to cut into my gums to get it out.:yikes: Explain the procedure and how I might feel afterwards.

I've had teeth removed using two different processes.

The first, and moderately more pleasant was when I had general anesthesia, and woke up with a few holes where my wisdom teeth once were.

The other, cheaper, and more horrifying way, was using local anesthesia and a set of plumbers' channel locks. I had a nurse holding my head back, as the "oral surgeon" had both feet on the chair yanking my tooth like there was no tomorrow. The tooth came out with a squelchy popping sound, covered in blood and gum-meat.

The actual procedure was much less pleasant than drifting off to sleep, however, that afternoon I was back to work and feeling better. The after effects of the general anesthesia was much less pleasant. Listless and disoreiented for the rest of the day, and that horrible sickening tingling feeling as the novocaine wore off and the cuts and stitches were making their presense known.

This is my 3000th post. Yay!!!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ask for the gas!!!! :lmao: I worked for a dentist, and witnessed many a grizzly extraction. It's fascinating to watch, but if it were me in that chair, there's no way I could be awake for it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My daughter just had all four wisdom teeth ripped out of her head a few weeks ago. They knocked her out for it, and gave her painkillers and antibiotics. She felt like pure hell for about a week, then she was fine.

Which tooth is it? Because if you've never had a tooth pulled, that means you still have your wisdom teeth and you're at the right age for them to start bothering you.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
My daughter just had all four wisdom teeth ripped out of her head a few weeks ago. They knocked her out for it, and gave her painkillers and antibiotics. She felt like pure hell for about a week, then she was fine.

Which tooth is it? Because if you've never had a tooth pulled, that means you still have your wisdom teeth and you're at the right age for them to start bothering you.
It's not a wisdom tooth and its beyond the front set so you can't really see it if I'm smiling. It's about three teeth up from the back left, the really sharp one.:lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
BuddyLee said:
It's not a wisdom tooth and its beyond the front set so you can't really see it if I'm smiling. It's about three teeth up from the back left, the really sharp one.:lol:
Just remember that your teeth are usually always growing to fill in spaces...if you get a tooth pulled that isn't in the back, the teeth around it may try to move over, or up (if it's a top tooth, down if it's a bottom tooth) to fill in the empty space. That's why bridges are recommended, even in areas where you won't necessarily see them. :yay:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
It's about three teeth up from the back left, the really sharp one.
You either have a cavity or, my guess, you need a root canal. And don't listen to horror stories about root canals - they're not that big a deal. Most dentists try to save the tooth instead of pulling it.

Mikeinsmd

Then there's the Hilti TE 22 hammer drill method...... :yikes: :lmao:
A dentist in the air force literally used a hammer & chisel to break & remove one of my wisdom teeth. I was under an IV drip anesthesia & jammin to Boston so I could'nt have cared less. :lol:

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
You either have a cavity or, my guess, you need a root canal. And don't listen to horror stories about root canals - they're not that big a deal. Most dentists try to save the tooth instead of pulling it.

:liar: Root canels suck. :lol:

I'd rather give birth. :lmao:

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
You either have a cavity or, my guess, you need a root canal. And don't listen to horror stories about root canals - they're not that big a deal.
Thing is it's not much of a tooth anymore, I've waited far too long to the point where most of the tooth is gone. The rim edges are still there but that is almost down to the gum and the inside is a nasty brown shade. It just started hurting a few days ago and with my (no time no money) schedule I've put it off, until now that is!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
It just started hurting a few days ago and with my (no time no money) schedule I've put it off, until now that is!
Go see Gina McCray up in Mechanicsville - St. Mary's Dental. She'll work out a payment plan with you so you can get your friggin' tooth fixed (I can't believe you left it so long :rolleyes:) and get out of pain.

Be prepared, however, to get a full exam and cleaning while you're at it. You really should have gotten it fixed before it wore down so bad. :nagnag: Just tell Gina that you are a broke college student with no (I assume) dental insurance and she'll work something out with you. If by some chance you DO have dental insurance and have waited this long, I'm going to pay Jabba to smack you in the head next time she sees you.

And in the future you floss EVERY day and get annual cleanings to prevent big dental bills and so you don't look like some homeless person with rotten teeth by the time you're forty. :spank:

Pete

Repete
BuddyLee said:
Thing is it's not much of a tooth anymore, I've waited far too long to the point where most of the tooth is gone. The rim edges are still there but that is almost down to the gum and the inside is a nasty brown shade. It just started hurting a few days ago and with my (no time no money) schedule I've put it off, until now that is!
Congatulations, it sounds like you put off a $100 filling and got yourself a $1,000 root canal and a $1,500 crown, or of course a $500 extraction and a goobered up set of chompers.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Go see Gina McCray up in Mechanicsville - St. Mary's Dental. She'll work out a payment plan with you so you can get your friggin' tooth fixed (I can't believe you left it so long :rolleyes:) and get out of pain.

Be prepared, however, to get a full exam and cleaning while you're at it. You really should have gotten it fixed before it wore down so bad. :nagnag: Just tell Gina that you are a broke college student with no (I assume) dental insurance and she'll work something out with you. If by some chance you DO have dental insurance and have waited this long, I'm going to pay Jabba to smack you in the head next time she sees you.
Best have that smack ready.:flush:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Best have that smack ready.:flush:
I assume that means you DO have dental insurance? Okay, then what's the problem? Get your ass to the dentist and get your cruddy teeth fixed, for GOD'S sake!!!

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
I assume that means you DO have dental insurance? Okay, then what's the problem? Get your ass to the dentist and get your cruddy teeth fixed, for GOD'S sake!!!
:tap: First thing tomorrow morning.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
dry socket
I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy. I had one after I had my final wisdom tooth pulled. If I could have ripped my jaw off, I would have. It is VERY painful and the fix is almost worse than the problem. :twitch: