Question

I have an 18 year old NSH (half saddlebred/half arab). For the past week, everytime he hits the cement flooring (inside the barn and in the area that they are fed) he lifts his rear leg and will not touch it down. If they are out in the pasture he doesn't limp at all or favor the leg in any way. There is an old injury on that leg (our stud ran him through a barbed wire fence) but that was at least 7 years ago. We were thinking a bruise on his foot maybe, but I picked his hoof yesterday and no reaction/sensitivity. I have ran my hand up and down his leg (no jokes here please-this is serious :razz: ) with no reaction at all, even squeezed on his old injury with no reaction. Any ideas, suggestions? TYIA.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
He may be developing a hoof abcess that can be detected with hoof testers to check for sensitivity to increased pressure in the hoof. You need to call a vet, farrier, or experienced horsey-type person with hoof testers. Good Luck!

Gooseneck

teverheart2002 said:
I have an 18 year old NSH (half saddlebred/half arab). For the past week, everytime he hits the cement flooring (inside the barn and in the area that they are fed) he lifts his rear leg and will not touch it down. If they are out in the pasture he doesn't limp at all or favor the leg in any way. There is an old injury on that leg (our stud ran him through a barbed wire fence) but that was at least 7 years ago. We were thinking a bruise on his foot maybe, but I picked his hoof yesterday and no reaction/sensitivity. I have ran my hand up and down his leg (no jokes here please-this is serious :razz: ) with no reaction at all, even squeezed on his old injury with no reaction. Any ideas, suggestions? TYIA.

Is he shod? If not, I would guess a stone bruise or abscess forming. I would recommend your farrier have a look at him and test his hoof.

My horse once had a pebble, which was nearly impossible to see, wedged in the bottom of the hoof wall. He walked normally until on a hard surface and then limped noticeably. He was fine when I removed it.

That doesn't help me at all Appy. :spank:

BTW Thanks for the suggestions-we are in the process of getting the farrier out and if that doesn't solve it, taking him into the equine hospital on Friday.

Update, mostly because I want to know if ya'll know anything about what he was diagnosed with. OK, took him to the equine hospital, they thought abcess, no surprise. We left him over the weekend so they could get his hoof softened and bring the abcess down through the bottom of the hoof. Then, Monday, they said that he possibly had a stifle injury. Today (Wednesday) they have now diagnosed him with Stringhalt. So, another question, does anyone have experience with Stringhalt? I have read that it has something to do with a weed that they eat (cat's tail?) and then other sites say that it is a neurogical problem and the only way to cure it is to cut the tendon. Any information would be helpful. TYIA

Appy, I asked if he was only suffering because of the Arab part and they said He11 no, if anything it was because of the Saddlebred part :razz:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
appyday said:
I am sorry I did not keep up with this thread...Call them back and tell them to go back to the origonal diagnoses of a stone bruise...Sounds easier to deal with a stone bruise...

Sorry I have never heard of that..I know it is no help..I feel for you going threw something like this and not knowing..Wish I could help..I still have a mare on antibiotics they are treating for a tick related disease and I feel she injuries from breeding. She is in foal but on the sonogram it shows bruising and trauma to the vaginal area..I wish you the best..how is he doing now..Honestly I dont know alot about saddlebreds..I did not used to like the gaited breeds until I got these dern Pasos...goodluck

I don't have any experience with stringhalt either! Do as much research on the net as you can and which clinic are you using? I really like the one down near Kings Dominion. I think it is called Woodside or Woodbine Eq. Clinic. I didn't have much affection for gaited horses either until I got my first walker 3 yrs ago. Now, as they say "Once you rack you can't go back!" I'll always have my paints but there will also be something gaited around! I'll check my sources and see what they have on stringhalt. Good Luck!

Thanks you two. Appy, hope that all goes well with your mare. Quick update, we got Quest home on Wednesday and put him into a smaller paddock with the cat's tail removed (the weed that supposedly caused this) and he is getting better, he isn't throwing his hind leg nearly as much. Of course he has been on bute two times a day, so the true test will be when he gets off that. Appy, love the suggestion of rediagnosing for stone bruise :cheers: I have never heard of this either and I've had horses my entire life and my mom has been in the business for at least 40 years, perhaps just an Oklahoma thing. :lol:Just cross your fingers that removing this weed will solve it. Thanks again you guys, it helps just being able to rack other people brains.

P.S. I'm used to the ribbing, we live in Oklahoma the Quarter Horse Capital of the world. :lmao:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HorseLady said:
I don't have any experience with stringhalt either! Do as much research on the net as you can and which clinic are you using? I really like the one down near Kings Dominion. I think it is called Woodside or Woodbine Eq. Clinic. I didn't have much affection for gaited horses either until I got my first walker 3 yrs ago. Now, as they say "Once you rack you can't go back!" I'll always have my paints but there will also be something gaited around! I'll check my sources and see what they have on stringhalt. Good Luck!
Busterduck 'tole me a secret....she said a GORGEOUS spotted saddle mare IN FOAL went through Thurmont last Fri night CHEAP. :frown: A Walkaloosa filly also went through CHEAPER...that's what I want.