ugh, burrs!!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
I spent two hours last night unmatting Beau's tail, all the way to the dock. :dead: He also got them in his mane, and it was so uncomfortable pulling there that I cut it, so he now has a longer bridle path than I like (actually it looks normal, I don't like naked necked horses and always kept my path short).

The only place I didn't touch, could not bring myself to, was his forelock - it is matted and clumped right back to his ears. Should I cut it all off? Wait for some to grow out and then cut it? Use a detangler (suggestions??) and just work them out? He is a palomino so it really shows.

I found the damn burr bush in the pasture and told the barn owners they need to cut it - there is a colt there in worse shape after a run-in with the bush, but he is not broke to tie yet, he's just over a month, so owner isnot sure what to do with him.

mingiz

Horse Poor
burrs

try putting showsheen on the burrs may help some But the best thing is Groom your horse regularly to prevent this.

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Showsheen I have, and will try it on the forelock, thank you!

This happened over the course of one day - I was out Sunday and by yesterday he was a mess! his tail was the worst because the flies are so bad. He swished all the burrs around swatting flies that his tail was just a clump. But since the hairs are more coarse, it was easier to get them out - would break my heart to cut that beautiful tail!

fredsaid2

Cowboy Magic has a detangler that's really nice. Whatever you use you'll probably have to resign yourself to a good amount of time working the burrs out. Too bad for your boy, I hope he's easy-going and will stand quietly for you. Good luck!

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
mingiz said:
try putting showsheen on the burrs may help some But the best thing is Groom your horse regularly to prevent this.
I know it only takes a couple of hours for a horse to work themselves into a pickle if there are burrs in a round bale or a bush in the pasture! I have had alot of luck using the Miracle groom gel-type detangler. It is expensive but it really, really works. Just start at the bottom at work your way to the base. Once you start you need to finish as if you try and come back to it later you will find the hair has rematted to the remaining burrs. We had a couple of round bales that had some burrs in them and what a mess with them! Don't wait for the barn owner to get the brush out - do it yourself immediatly or you'll find yourself in the same situation tomorrow. Good Luck!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Many thanks to all of you! Appy, I will take your advice on the shampoo and conditioner first. I am going out today, and will try to get some pics. :ohwell:

Poor old Beau is so patient with me, he will stand still forever, but with anyone else he gets fidgity. Maybe I can find some apple-scented 'poo for him.... :smile:

I watched as the barn owner removed the bush, so I know that one is gone. Boy, I never had this problem in MD!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WD-40. Always works for mats and burrs around here. You should see what that stuff can do :lol:
It's on the list...
Linkie

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
AMP said:
Showsheen I have, and will try it on the forelock, thank you!

This happened over the course of one day - I was out Sunday and by yesterday he was a mess! his tail was the worst because the flies are so bad. He swished all the burrs around swatting flies that his tail was just a clump. But since the hairs are more coarse, it was easier to get them out - would break my heart to cut that beautiful tail!
my mare once got a stick stuck in her tail and dragged it around all day poor girl. She's part Arab and her tail nearly touches the ground. must have been awful whacking herself in the face every time she swung her tail, not to mention whacking the others every time too :lol:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Keeps horseshoes from rusting
Penetrates and cleans stiff buckles on horse equipment
Stops ice from forming on horseshoes during riding
Removes gum from horseshoes
Removes tar from horseshoes
Removes snarls from horse tails & manes
Keeps wicker chairs from squeaking
Removes crayon from clothes dryer (make sure to unplug dryer first)
Removes crayon from wallpaper
Removes scuff marks from ceramic tile floor
Keeps metal wind chimes rust-free
Removes water spots from mirrors
Cleans fiberglass bathtubs
Cleans and protects bed of wheelbarrows
Keeps snow from sticking to shovel
Removes coffee stains on floor tiles
Keeps hose ends from corroding
Removes crayon from plastic
Removes decals from bathtubs
Removes old cellophane tape