Night Sounds

mrweb

Iron City
Ok, I have a debate going on. If you listen outside tonight, you hear the peep peep noise. Some of the sounds are made by crickets, some by frogs (I live on a small lake). But some of the peeping noises are from the trees. Some have told me they are cicadas, some say crickets (I don't think so). They are loud! What creatures are making our lovely nightly noises here in SOMD? :confused:

mrweb

Iron City
K_Jo said:
My husband says cicadas and I agree because he's smart. :nerd:
Hey, I like the hubby. I said they were cicadas, just not the 12 year kind. One just attacked my deck light, fell on the deck and the dog tried to eat it. Gave her the tennis ball instead. :lol:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
mrweb said:
Hey, I like the hubby. I said they were cicadas, just not the 12 year kind. One just attacked my deck light, fell on the deck and the dog tried to eat it. Gave her the tennis ball instead. :lol:
:lmao: I had trouble sleeping when I first moved from Waldorf. I wasn't used to the sound of nature and it was almost deafening. :lol:

mrweb

Iron City
K_Jo said:
:lmao: I had trouble sleeping when I first moved from Waldorf. I wasn't used to the sound of nature and it was almost deafening. :lol:
I moved from that nasty place a few years ago. Nice to go to sleep to nature rather than sirens going up Smallwood Drive. Here it's no lights, no cars, what luxury.... :dance: Good place for the young ones too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
mrweb said:
Ok, I have a debate going on. If you listen outside tonight, you hear the peep peep noise. Some of the sounds are made by crickets, some by frogs (I live on a small lake). But some of the peeping noises are from the trees. Some have told me they are cicadas, some say crickets (I don't think so). They are loud! What creatures are making our lovely nightly noises here in SOMD? :confused:
I would say they are tree frogs. I have them all over the place at my house deep in the woods. They make a beautiful racket and I love to listen to them. :smile:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
When I was a kid my parents finished off the basement and gave me a room down there. It was great other than the abundance of crickets that live in basements, every night around 2:30 am you could find me with the lights on and a shoe in my hand chasing around a noisy freaking cricket. They weren't so bad hearing through the windows but when they are like 3 feet from your head they have to die.

Nupe2

jazz lady said:
I would say they are tree frogs. I have them all over the place at my house deep in the woods. They make a beautiful racket and I love to listen to them. :smile:

I think they might be tree frogs. I live in the country too and my father-in-law used to say they were tree frogs. I never knew whether he was just trying to trick a city boy but in his memory I'm going with tree frogs! :cheers:

Nupe2 said:
I think they might be tree frogs. I live in the country too and my father-in-law used to say they were tree frogs. I never knew whether he was just trying to trick a city boy but in his memory I'm going with tree frogs! :cheers:
I thought tree frogs only came out in spring? Maybe they're the left over cicadas. I've been hearing them.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
AK-74me said:
When I was a kid my parents finished off the basement and gave me a room down there. It was great other than the abundance of crickets that live in basements, every night around 2:30 am you could find me with the lights on and a shoe in my hand chasing around a noisy freaking cricket. They weren't so bad hearing through the windows but when they are like 3 feet from your head they have to die.
That reminds me of the time I was staying in a hotel and there was a cricket in the room somewhere near the bed. I could NOT get to sleep, so I went on a hunt for the thing. I tracked the noise to a floor lamp, lifted it up, saw him, and slammed it down so hard I broke the lamp and the bulb in the lamp. :lmao:

But the room was blessed silence (and dark!) after that. :yay:

raindrop

i love you too
ooooo. remember the last bunch of those cicadas? those ones that pop up every twelve years or so.
awful. they were everywhere.