book discussion clubs...

R

rdonthehd

Does anyone belong to a book discussion club or know of any in St. Mary's county? If I can't find one that I like I'm thinking about starting one of my own.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read a lot so I thought about joining a book discussion club. But nobody ever wants to read the books I want to read. :ohwell: One of them up here is some chick book club :rolleyes: and there are several Michael Moore fan clubs, but nothing I'm interested in.

What kind of books do you like? Maybe we could do one online?

K

Kizzy

I'm game. :howdy:

But you all read so much faster than me. It took me 3-months to read my last book, BUT, if I had a deadline, I could do it.

tomchamp

Kizzy said:

But you all read so much faster than me. It took me 3-months to read my last book, BUT, if I had a deadline, I could do it.

Speed reader...what do you read like a page a day? :lol: j/k

Hot N Bothered

Lookie here

Book Discussion
Tuesday, October 4, 7:00 pm, Charlotte Hall Library, 37600 New Market Road, Charlotte Hall

Discuss Edna O’Brien’s book, In the Forest. 301-884-2211

Book Discussion
Thursday, October 20, 7:00 pm, Leonardtown Library, 23250 Hollywood Rd, Leonardtown

Discuss Henry James’ book, The Turn of the Screw. Discussion led by Dr. Robin Bates, English Professor at St. Mary’s College. 301-475-2846 or stmaps@stmalib.org

I don't see one at Lexington Park. :ohwell:

R

rdonthehd

Kizzy said:

Yeah, me too. I had considered doing one online, but I really like getting out of my apartment - out and about, that's me!
I have found some book clubs around here, but I don't like reading the same book everyone else is reading, then meeting somewhere to discuss plot and character and motive and blah blah blah... I may as well go to English class! :mad:
I'd like to have a group that reads what they like, we meet at a restaurant, bar or other place and everyone talks about their book, the story, the characters and why they liked it. That way if someone wants to read the same book, they will probably have a different opinion, ya know?

K

Kizzy

rdonthehd said:
Yeah, me too. I had considered doing one online, but I really like getting out of my apartment - out and about, that's me!
I have found some book clubs around here, but I don't like reading the same book everyone else is reading, then meeting somewhere to discuss plot and character and motive and blah blah blah... I may as well go to English class! :mad:
I'd like to have a group that reads what they like, we meet at a restaurant, bar or other place and everyone talks about their book, the story, the characters and why they liked it. That way if someone wants to read the same book, they will probably have a different opinion, ya know?

Don't tell vrai this, but she mentions books she reads and then I go read them. :whistle:

Anyway, sounds like a good idea or something on this forum. Start a thread like what are you reading and what is it about.

R

rdonthehd

also, I always feel inept and purile at those meetings. I hate feeling dumb. I wanna do it my way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm currently reading Savannah by John Jakes. Only about 40 pages into it and so far so good. I like historical fiction and Jakes does his homework. :yay:

After Neuromancer, I had to clear my head. :dead:

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
Because you want to be smart, like me. Good plan. :yay:

What an arrogant statement to make. :roflmao:

Seriously, you, Nickel and Betty_Elms are always providing feedback on books you’ve read and it is how I’ve come up with some of the books I’ve read in the past years. Come to think of it, Betty hasn't posted in awhile?

Right now I'm reading Natural Cures and "A Man Named Dave" which is still in the series I've been reading.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm like Kizzy. I'm usually reading 3 or 4 books at the same time. Unfortunately, I haven't finished one in a long time. I read much more during the winter months as I usually don't have the time or desire to read for long stretches during the summer.

R

rdonthehd

I did it!

I wanna get my book club started, so I posted some flyers up in a few bookstores around the county. The Lex Pk library wouldn't let me post one because they already have a book club - but they all read the same book and talk about English class stuff - boring...
I'm also gonna try posting some up maybe in coffee shops too.
Please go to this website if you'd like to join: www.booknote.zoomshare.com